1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Has anybody heard of Guy Finley

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by chickenbone, Feb 7, 2014.

1. chickenbone

chickenbone Well known member

I have been interested in the work of Guy Finley for about 6 years now, but other than buying 2 of his books, have not done anything seriously about it. So I recently joined his online subscription for only $2.99 per month the first month and then $9.99 each month after. I am really getting a lot out of it. I have downloaded many of his talks and listen to them almost everyday. This is helping my TMS because it helps me realize how my mind is doing this to me when I don't realize it. Now, I am able to watch unhealthy thought patterns develop and detach from them before it is too late and I have worried or frightened myself. The talks also help me stay in the present. I think he does an excellent job explaining HOW to do this successfully. He really knows the sick mind well and warns you of all the mind traps.

I just wondered if anyone else has used his material. His website is chock full of helpful stuff for those of us with lots of uncontrolled mind chatter.

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Who, me?!

I think a lot of us have a lot of mind chatter. The key is being aware of it so that we can stop.

I went to his site and signed up for the starter pack. His site describes him as a "self-realization author and teacher known for his kindness, passion, and deep understanding of the truth:"
    http://www.guyfinley.org/

I respect that his organization is a 501c3, like we are. Could you tell us a bit more about what you like about him?

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. chickenbone

Hi Forest, thanks for responding. About 4 months ago, I decided for sure to get some help with my TMS issues and my unruly mind with some therapy. However, individual therapy may not be the best option for me. First, because, living where I am, it will be extremely difficult and will need to be done by phone. I also am retired and the expense of this would be a hardship. Also, I have not responded well to individual therapy in the past, I think, mainly because my issues tend to be more existential in nature. Attempts in the past to drag out and examine upsetting and traumatic events in my past have always made me much worse, not better. I think this is because there is a part of my mind that actually likes to make me suffer and keeps this stuff alive. I also tend to be an agoraphobic, and various therapies, even the newer ones like EMDR have been notoriously unsuccessful in treating them.

I realized that what I need is to let go of all of this stuff by letting go of the parts of me that keep this negative stuff alive. Also, the only therapy that worked dramatically well for me was spiritual therapy. Unfortunately, this type of therapy is also unavailable here too. The thing really different about the spiritual therapy was that the therapist, instead of taking it for granted that something was wrong with me, that he/she would try help me correct, told me right upfront that "there was absolutely nothing wrong with me, I only thought there was and we would work together to help me drop that which did not serve me well". This put the therapy on a completely different footing and I made substantial progress. Guy Finley's material is in the same vein. Right now, after using his website and interaction on the forums, I believe I may be on the verge of overcoming the biggest phobia of my life, that may be the basis of my agoraphobia. I am actually on track to take my trip alone without the level of fear I have experienced in the past. I believe that my pain may be the effect of the conflict between the longing for the life I WANT to live and the life I am forced to live as the result of the mind gremlins that want to keep me safe. These gremlins were created as as result of never feeling safe as a child. It is time to simply let them go and see that I am perfectly capable of keeping myself safe without their severely limiting influence.

This approach obviously will not work for everyone. I have a decidedly spiritual inclination.

Guy's work is in the same vein as Eckert Tolle and others, but he is more intent on actually teaching people to live the spiritual life, free from the parts of our minds that don't think and act in our best interest.

honeybear424, North Star and G.R. like this.
  4. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Chickenbone,
    If you are looking for therapy with a spiritual slant, please check out Wellspring Ministries located in Alaska.
    They have a sliding fee schedule; very affordable. The man who started it was Art Mathias. You can google them.

My friend's wife had 10 different conditions such as asthma, depression, panic attacks, hypoglycemia, hyperthyroidism,
    a heart problem, allergies and was able to be healed through this ministry by doing inner healing.

Maybe, it can help.

I can relate to you about never feeling safe as a child and how this interferes with the here and now. I am working with
    a counselor from this ministry and he has helped me understand how to shut down these gremlins with love and
    compassion but also with authority that they have no place in our life. I was having a very difficult time sleeping
    and I am ever so thankful now I am sleeping. I learning how to feel safe.

You are courageous to tackle this gremlin of agoraphobia. I struggled with this a very long time ago and I was able to
    get victory over this through re-conditioning. I know you will have victory over agoraphobia.
    G.R.

North Star likes this.
  5. chickenbone

I loved your post, G.R. It is interesting about your friend's wife. The only 2 out of the list of problems she had that I have not had are hypoglycemia and heart problems. It is so good to know that someone is doing this type of therapy. I will look them up and consider using them if I think I need more individual therapy, which is likely. It never fails to amaze me how many seemingly physical issues can be resolved through work with the mind.

It is interesting about your improved sleep issues. My sleep is much improved and my back pain is practically gone with this approach.

I am so happy to hear that you are getting help from this ministry and you are obviously improving.

Can you describe your re-conditioning work that got you through agoraphobia in more detail? From what I read, agoraphobia is a really tough thing to treat. I also read that agoraphobics are often hypochondriacs and the agoraphobia usually needs to be treated first.

6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I know what you mean. For me, there is something so very empowering about taking responsibility for your own goals. Therapists work very well for many people, but, especially given its expense, I tend to lean toward self work. I always love reading your posts, so I'm glad you do, too. ;)

Regarding dragging out the past, I am of the opinion that reviewing the past can be very helpful, but that once you've done it a couple times you've gotten all that you will get from it and it is time to start taking more of a present based approach and start thinking about where your energy goes on a day to day basis.
    Or perhaps, as Dr. Sarno says, it is trying to protect you. IFS emphasizes a similar idea, that various parts of our personality, such as an "inner terrorist" as Alan Gordon might call it, are just trying to protect us from things that scare us by worrying. I think that that was definitely the case for me.
    I wish a similar experience for everyone as I think that there is so much wisdom in there. I suspect that a big part of the reason why self-led exploration has been more helpful for me than psychotherapy is that I knew enough about psychology that the meandering Rogerian style of the therapists I worked with suggested to me that there was something deeply repressed to discover. This made me feel bad about myself, but after years of therapy we never found anything that I remember. Now I just feel that my brain learned anxiety from an early age because I knew that my mother would die. This created my own inner terrorist that I find is best treated with present based approaches like the ones I think you are using. Basically, I try to avoid the mental chatter that reinforces makes me feel bad. It's just the basic "be kind to yourself" approach that Alan Gordon recommends. Similar examples could be found based on my inner critic from a critical father (and no living mother to balance him out) and fear and self-criticism thoughts based on my ADHD. For all of these things, I find that a present-based approach of just monitoring where my energy is going and having compassion for myself seems to work best. I'm not actually a big fan of psychoarchaeology.

There are some great success-story videos on YouTube about agoraphobia. They might be a good source as well. If you find any that are helpful, please post them here so that they will get into our search engine for future forum members.

Ellen and G.R. like this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

These exchanges of posts are terrific. I'm especially interested in the spiritual therapy,
    for a book I am writing with Herbie about TMS healing in which we strongly recommend
    adding that.

I'd also like to know about the re-conditioning work that helped so much with the agoraphobia.
    Please post about it or email me at waltmax69@gmail.com Thanks.

8. chickenbone

Thanks so much for your support, Forest and Walt. I completely agree with you, Forest. I really need to do this on my own, obviously with some help, but primarily on my own. It must have been so hard on you knowing that your mother was going to die. I will take your suggestion about checking out the You Tube videos on agoraphobia.

As you both know, I subscribed to guyfinelynow.org and this is proving to be a tremendous resource for me. I think I understand now what fear really is and how to deal with it successfully.

9. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Chickenbone, you are such a jewel. I appreciate your candor and how you share here. I'm going to check out Guy's resources. I had contacted one TMS counselor and was taken aback by her youth. I respect the training but I'm not sure I could handle counseling with someone I'm old enough to parent. But upon reflection, I think the bigger picture was I'm of the "Physician, heal thyself" camp. And then there's the value of this forum.

It never ceases to amaze me that the discussions I happen upon here are usually JUST what I needed for the day. Love how that happens.

honeybear424 likes this.
  10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I also prefer to analyze myself rather than see a therapist. Years ago before the Internet that was
    harder to do, but now we can learn so much from the Internet links to people like Guy Finley.

And I find the same thing, North Star. Just when I want to learn about something TMS,
    I find someone posting about it.

Now if I could only find out how I can change Annie's poop into gold.

I'd be a very rich man. But I really am rich, just having her.

11. North Star

If you figure out how to turn Annie's poop into gold, I'm all ears. Especially since my beloved kitty could make me fabulously wealthy.

I've been looking over Guy's website; it looks just super. I'll check out his free materials.

And speaking of poop…I'm sure you probably heard this before but just in case you haven't:

A dad was trying to fix his son's persistent optimism. He found it far too sunny and felt like the kid wasn't prepared for realities of life. So, he told the kid, "Go look in the barn for a surprise!"

The boy, who had been hoping for pony, ran out to the barn with great joy and expectation. He opened the door and voila! it was full of poop.

He paused. Then he started digging with great gusto, a smile stretched across his face.

The dad was puzzled. "Why are you doing that?" he asked.

The son replied, "With all this poop, there's got to be a pony in there somewhere!"

(Cue to groans….) hee hee

12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I got a real good laugh from your pony poop story.

My best friend was the wealthiest person I ever knew, but also the unhappiest.
    If only I had known about TMS causing his unhappiness, but now believe it did.
    He's in heaven now and I miss him very much. We were like brothers.

13. North Star

So glad that tickled your funny bone.

I'm sorry about your best friend. I look forward to all the wonderful reunions that will take place one day.

14. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

The reunions are great to anticipate. Tim and I had fantastic good times and not only together
    but with his wife who was like a second sister to me, and their three kids who are all grown now
    and still called me "Uncle Walt."

North Star likes this.
  15. chickenbone

North Star, I really find your contributions here extremely helpful. You know, I really think that the Universe, Higher Power, Life or whatever you want to call it brings us what we need when we need it. If we could only see that. I have said "NO" to life too much in the past because of fear and mistrust and I think this is a good part of my problem. With the help of Guy's talks and the people on this forum, I am starting to have confidence to start living the life that I would like to live and be the person I want to be. I always thought that I needed to "get" things, bring stuff to me as though I was incomplete. I learned the truth is that I need to drop, let go of all that is holding me back. I already have what I need to be whole.

North Star and G.R. like this.
  16. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Chickenbone, Your post so inspires me. G.R.

North Star likes this.
  17. North Star

Aw, thanks, Chickenbone. I listened to my first podcast by Guy and all I can say is, WOW. I told my hubby I'm going to listen to it again and would like him to listen with me. His perspective on fear and it's work through the ego really caught my attention. I don't even have my mind wrapped around it but I sense there's some very freeing revelations just around the corner.

Walt, to be Uncle Walt to Tim's kids….what a legacy. I so wish we were neighbors. I grow more fond of you with each post I read. :)