1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Going thru tough time!plz help

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by ashoo79, Feb 17, 2016.

1. ashoo79

ashoo79 New Member

Hi I am 37 yr old just delivered my baby three months back after two months after delivering her i hurt my back. long story short went to spine doctor who gave me two steroids shots along with oral steroids he told me its a simple case of Sciatica nothing helped and he sent me to spine surgeon(btw MRI report showed I have herniated disc and bulging as well L4 L5.). Friend of mine introduced me to this wonderful book of Dr sarno. Its been almost two weeks I am reading and trying to focus on things like writing journal also taking pain meds almost everyday and just started on physical therapy. plz HELP ME I want to walk and I do walk for few mins but I feel like sitting somewhere after few mins because my lower leg start hurting a lot I feel burn and tingling in my lower leg and one of the toes. I know this is all TMS but what to do. my PT told me to be careful and do not exurt myself. and I just imagine myself by reading all the stories that I am walking and walking and there is nothing can stop me and I TRY to walk but then this pain restrict me. I really need help tell me what to do how to start walking so my pain just go away I cant even enjoy my baby and this makes me so miserable.

2. David88

David88 Well known member

Hi ashoo,

Welcome to this forum.

You're very new to TMS. It takes time to understand it fully and find the path that works for you. Go easy on yourself, give yourself time for the information to sink in, and be prepared to try different things. Different people find different paths to healing.

It's often best to resume your activity gradually. Try walking just a little bit, enough to challenge the pain but not so much that you increase your fear and frustration. Do a little more every day, as you become more confident in the TMS diagnosis.

While you're doing this, start to think about what's going on in your life. Think of the pain as a message. Something needs your attention, something that may be scary to look at and yet is important for you to uncover. Again, be gentle with yourself, take it slowly, and don't expect an instant cure.

David.

hecate105 likes this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi ashoo79,

I am sorry to hear of your suffering, not enjoying being with your baby. This must be very very difficult for you.

Welcome to the Forum. I echo David's remarks, that this takes time. I recommend that you do the TMS Recovery Program at the Wiki, and then do the Stuctured Education Program as well, at the Wiki also. The more you fear your symptoms and want them to go away quickly the more you feed the TMS. Try to develop confidence that you are on the right track, and be patient. If it is possible, get a diagnosis from a Sarno trained physician. Some do distance assessments, or you can get on a plane. This will build your trust and confidence if you need that. If you are already very convinced, just give yourself time as you do the programs.

I could hardly walk for years, and Dr. Sarno's work gave me my life back, and I avoided needless surgery.
    Mean time, taking pain medicine is a good idea. You'll stop that when the pain reduces.

Post questions and comments. We're all here to help. Welcome.

Andy B

David88 and giantsfan like this.
  4. KatheC

KatheC New Member

I have sciatic pain and the pain gets intensive from hip, thru buttocks, and down my leg. Both legs are affected at different times, it moves. Over New Years 2016, while walking on the beach, the pain kicked into gear. I told it to go away and kept walking thru the pain. It hurt a lot and I almost felt like I would fall, but I didn't. The pain dissolved and went away within 10 minutes. It was amazing to me that me talking to it made it dissolve. The next day I walked the beach again, it came back again, but this time it was less intense and went away faster. By the end of my beach trip, it was less and less. That was over a month ago and it still comes and go, but I walk thru it and talk to it and it goes away.

ashoo79, hecate105 and intense50 like this.
  5. We live in a society in which everything is medicalized so it is difficult to accept at first that something so painful could be nothing to worry about. My suggestion is to read and reread Dr. Sarno's books so that his words and message have a chance to sink in. After a short time, you will be less and less afraid and more accepting that the pain is TMS. It takes time and courage. You will get there.

6. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

Feeling angry and frustrated at pain and disability is a completely normal human response, but we want to teach ourselves not to care about the pain. Pain is just a sensation, our reaction (especially negative) to the pain is what sets ourselves up for more pain. If you can slowly get yourself to care less and less about whether you have pain or not and realize that there are people riddled with disc herniation's and are currently running around with no pain, you will be rewarding your mind with new neural pathways to lower the fear and lower the pain. It takes practice, but it can be achieved. Be kind to yourself as you would to your loving child. If your child's body was hurting, I'm almost positive you'd sooth your child and say it's okay and that you are going to be okay. In my personal opinion we should all be doing more of this to ourselves.

I highly recommend you start the Structured Educational Program (SEP), if you haven't already: http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Structured_Educational_Program. Take it at your own pace though, don't put pressure on yourself to hurry through it to "rid your pain," you don't want to rid your pain, that won't work, you want to get rid of fear, then the pain will eventually go away.

Listening to this 7 minute talk from Alan Gordon should help as well, if you need to listen to it regularly: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/how-to-get-rid-of-your-pain-in-7-minutes.11437/

Hope that helps! :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Is there a TMS physician you can see for an objective evaluation? There's a list of them at this site.

8. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Whooaa!!!!! Giantsfan, great response, excellent work, my friend :)

intense50 and giantsfan like this.
  9. intense50

intense50 Well known member

I know about not walking. Three months ago I could barely walk. Sitting was the only good position. I know the frustration. You're in good hands now. Don't push it. You will heal .

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    giantsfan likes this.
  10. ashoo79

ashoo79 New Member

Thanks all yes I will but i do get frustrated by reading all stories how easy it is for people when they start walking they walk and walk until the pain diminish. how's that possible? I am waiting for that miracle.

11. Tennis Tom

Have you read Steve Ozanich's great TMS text/tome "THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION" ? He has some good tips in it on how to move forward and what it takes.

12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, ashoo.I love your Wiki name and laugh. I think you have a good sense of humor and that helps a lot in healing from TMS emotional pain. Laughing is great therapy, it sends endorphins (whatever the are) to the mind and body that helps heal us. Be patient and believe 100 percent in TMS and you will get there. Walk a little when you can, and try to walk a little more each time or each day. Think happy thoughts while walking, and maybe listen to your Walkman. And remember to do deep breathing while you're walking.

ashoo79, giantsfan and Tennis Tom like this.
  13. Tennis Tom

14. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

Try not to focus on the amount of time it takes for people to get better. Some get better quickly, some need more time, some need lots of time, sometimes only certain things get better quickly while others symptoms take longer, but most importantly just be kind to yourself (practice not getting mad at your mindbody). Worrying about why you haven't gotten better yet, or getting frustrated that others are healing quicker than you will only set you back. Those things are normal to think at first, but we must all learn to stay away from fear and frustration in relation to the pain and or time it takes to recover. Be glad you have finally found the answers to your symptoms. You will get better. You will get better. Some of us need baby steps, sometimes we have minor setbacks, but we are all headed in the right direction, that's the directions away from pain and disability. Have you started the SEP yet?

ashoo79 likes this.
  15. ashoo79

ashoo79 New Member

Yes I started three days ago and going strong to understand each and every word of it trying to sink in all the information.

16. ashoo79

ashoo79 New Member

waiting for that miracle to happen. thanks for the support.

17. ashoo79

ashoo79 New Member

Hehehehehe Walt my name is Ayesha and my family call me (ashoo which is Ash--oo).
    -
    -
    -
    -

-