1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

God granted me the wisdom,

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by andy64tms, Feb 22, 2018.

1. andy64tms

andy64tms Well known member

Dear Jan, Lainey and Plum,

Plum, I came over here in 1977 so did not have the pleasure of Sunday nights puppeteering portrayal of the English Crown, Ronald Ragan or any other world dignitaries, I would have joined the masses and giggled.

Having lived in the States for 40 years my wife and I notice the humor in UK has turned somewhat bombastic and to the core, even childish and petty at times. I agree it’s sort of cruel for those of us who are more sensitive in nature. In the States the nearest thing to this harsh form of expression I have seen is the Daryl Cagle cartoons syndicate. I note he receives cartoon and commentary from all over the world. For a while recently all I could bare was cartoons to get my news, so they serve a purpose.

I became sick to my stomach recently as new media lows were reached with our present troubles in politics, we now watch the puppy dog channel if we can. How we both miss our cat Tessa, I wrote this poem to Sheila on her behalf, we still cry it’s been four long years.

Poem by Tessa:

I love it when you feed me, as well as brush my fur

I love it when you stroke me; it makes me want to purr

I love it when you call me, you know I will concur

I love the treats you give me; It shows you really care

But most of all I love you, for all these things and more

For you I can only but adore.

Love, from Tessa - Contessa

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Lizzy, JanAtheCPA, plum and 1 other person like this.
  2. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Thank you Andy for sharing this important info with everyone. Thanks to my sister-in-law's close observations and persistence, she saved my brother from even having a stroke. She noticed my brother's one eyebrow and eyelid drooping and insisted she rush him to the hospital. He didn't want to go because there was a snow storm going on and he said it was just his cold causing it, but she made him go with her. (The hospital was close.) Tests confirmed she did prevent him from having a stroke.

Lizzy, JanAtheCPA and andy64tms like this.
  3. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Hi everyone,
    I thought I would try to clarify my comment about cynicism. I was referring to Andy's comment

I was thinking of how easy it is to doubt the medical community across the board and that actual cynicism is destructive, it's a negative stereotype. I use cynical and sarcastic talk as as humor (and I love British humor). However, it doesn't come from a place of cynicism. Does this make sense?

It was so good to be reminded of the people who have cared for me, my family and friends with patience, gentleness and encouragement.

I hope this helps.
    Lizzy

JanAtheCPA, Lainey and andy64tms like this.
  4. andy64tms

Thanks’ Lizzy,

My wife is now home and doing fine, she is one of the few that has the chance of a full recovery; our lives will never be the same with this new awareness. My three sons also will benefit from the shock they have had, as a family we are all much closer.

Somehow the medication to keep her Blood Pressure high followed us home in error. While this was required in the ICU to clear the blood clot, it was not needed at home. The only medication she needed was 325 Mg Aspirin. The first day home was terrible; she kept going into sessions of depression far worse than any I have ever seen. I was chastised for my every infraction over the last 50 years; my best approach was to zip my mouth up, since it became a losing argument. She said she felt better with my company sitting next to her and not in the next room blogging. She deeply needed reassurance to know that I cared.

The second day while reading the discharge rules, she noticed the offending medication was missing from the medicine list. Coincidently I was creating an Excel sheet to monitor BP and I discovered the same thing, noting: “Two BP meds, WHY”?

“Your not taking it, are you?” The neurologist asked when we finally connected on the phone. “Stop it and come and see me at once.” We had an appointment within ½ hour and the caring doctor reassured her that her symptoms were caused by the offending medication. It’s such a relief to know this. Best of all our trip to the Canadian Rockies in 7 weeks is now back on the table. :)

Take Aways:
    Zip mouth up and listen.
    Show caring.
    Double, Triple check meds with another person.
    Excel sheet OCD, who cares.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    iwire, Lizzy, JanAtheCPA and 2 others like this.
  5. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

May I give this a laugh emoji? :joyful:
    All good points, and I did think the excel spreadsheet was rather OCD. Glad to hear your trip is back on. It will be just what you two need.

andy64tms likes this.
  6. andy64tms

My whole life is wrapped up in four tidy spreadsheets, none of this cell phone OCD nonsense.;)
    We are both trying to embrace cell phones and upgrade to smart. Can't seem to get the smarts to decide which one.:)

7. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Andy,
    I'm so glad to hear that your wife is home! And that her medication has been straightened out.
    Lizzy

andy64tms likes this.
  8. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Not me, my friend, I'm with you.

Spring in the Rockies! Yahooooooo!!! dancea

andy64tms likes this.
  9. Buckster

Buckster New Member

Andy, I can't profess to know you, but having some experience with this through a family member, I know it can be such a shock. I'm truly happy your wife is home now, and I'm sure she's getting....like M*A*S*H used to say...the "best care anywhere" (yep....I'm old!). Hang in there, and yes, be good to yourself too to keep those TMS gremlins at bay (and just shoo them off should they appear! ;))

JanAtheCPA, andy64tms and Lainey like this.
  10. andy64tms

Thank you Buckster,

This has been a whole new experience thru and thru. I have seen my wife thru two knee replacement surgeries, but this one is far more serious, with no appearance on the surface. She has some residual issues with the left side which will dissipate we are told. She boldly maintained at the hospital she doesn’t get depressed, and now safely and openly admits she has this now. It is prominent for the first two waking hours. The cure, I hold her hand zip my mouth up and listen, this is the shock, fear and realization that this surreal event really did happen. This morning I carefully guided her to other topics and she did much better, its early days. We are both grateful and making plans with a new light turned on, the light of life!

MASH was the mainstay evening program in UK for many years, nostalgia

Thanks