1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

GERD and TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by readytoheal, Sep 25, 2016.

1. readytoheal

readytoheal Peer Supporter

Has anyone had success treating gerd as tms? I've had it for years but I'm now worried about damage this may be causing over the longterm. I don't treat it. I've always attributed it to stress. I just prop myself up at night and deal with the discomfort. It's always better in the morning. But what if this is causing damage. I've read about some of the damage this can cause on another thread and now I'm afraid and my anxiety is kicking in. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  2. Avy

Avy New Member

Have you had an endoscopy? If not, maybe you should try it to calm your mind from causing damage. I had it few weeks ago and they almost found nothing wrong. It calmed my mind and I accepted that my gastritis is completely from TMS. I'm still working on getting better. Look on TMS wiki success stories for Gastritis/GERD for some comfort and inspiration. Good luck!

readytoheal likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, readytoheal. GERD and IBS are common symptoms of TMS, often caused by emotional stress.

If "misery loves company," as I am sure it does, you can take comfort in knowing that many -- really many -- people in this country and around the world are under emotional stress, some of it great, that is causing aches and pains, headaches and anxiety.

I strongly suggest you start the Structured Educational Program, free in the subforum of this web site, to learn what emotional stresses cause pain.

Lotus and readytoheal like this.
  4. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

I had GERD and overcame it with tms/anxiety method.
    Just keep doing what your doctor advice you to do, but work on your stress and anxiety.

5. Avy

Avy New Member

Balto, I'm just curious - did you take the medicine for your GERD while doing TMS work? I kinda had it for years it would come and go, but now for the last 3 months along with the headaches my stomach is bothering me like never before and it simply wont go away for more than 4 days. I think If I start to take the medicine again that I would give TMS too much attention and belief that something is wrong with me. Any thoughts?

6. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

If it bother you too much, take the medicine. Doctor Sarno is not against taking medicine now and then when the pain is too much. The important thing to remember is realize that drug is just a bandage. We have to fix our mind, fix our thinking.
    Ace1, a member on tmshelp forum, who is a cancer doctor. He is a person I highly respect. He think cancer and many other disease are tms/mind body syndrome in extreme form. He advised people to use mind body knowledge to cure their illness but also advice people to stick with all those conventional medicine and treatment their doctors give them.
    Take the medicine if you think it will help but devote a big part of your time to work on your mind and seek happiness.
    I did take lots of medicine.

Lotus and Avy like this.