1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Finding a Practitioner in San Diego

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by prisd, Feb 9, 2016.

1. prisd

prisd Peer Supporter

Hi, I have interstitial cystitis. I've read Mindbody Prescription, Great Pain Deception, Divided Mind. Did a 30-day journaling MindBody workbook by Schechter. I'm currently going through Alan Gordon's TMS Recovery Program which I think is beneficial whether or not my pain goes away. However, I still have a pain level 1-2 baseline that just doesn't change much, except for 4 days after I finished reading Mindbody Prescription, I think. However, I'm determined and I will keep trying. Next, I will do the Structured program on this website.

I think that seeing an MD and having him/her check the pain points that Sarno describes on my back, etc and just having confirmation that I indeed do have TMS would really solidify my belief. Interstitial Cystitis is a lot different from back pain and carpal tunnel and most of the stories I read about. Everyone with IC is different: some do or don't have pain with acidic foods, some have visible ulcers on their bladder and others don't, some have pain with sex and others don't. I don't know if TMS is the correct diagnosis for EVERYONE with IC since IC is such a general term for bladder pain.

And with back pain, etc, Sarno says that it's not dangerous and the pain will not cause physical damage, but some people with IC ulcers on the bladder cause bladder scar tissue and their bladders shrink, so could physical changes be a result of an overactive nervous system?

I haven't seen any TMS specific MDs or Therapists listed for San Diego, so I am debating making an appointment and driving to Los Angeles, or doing a Skype session with a therapist, although I'd really like an MD physical so I can check the TMS pressure points. What do you all think?

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Sorry i'm not in the US so don't know where therapists are. But whether you do see one or not - I really recommend the Structured Educational Programme on here - start that anyway and see how you go. Sorting out the stress and repressed emotions in our lives can only be a good thing either way. Good luck.

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

You might want to seek out Dr. Eric Robins who is a urologist in LA who treats TMS/Mindbody Syndromes. If you do a search for him, you'll find his You Tube videos, etc.

4. prisd

prisd Peer Supporter

Ok, thanks for your responses. I'm on Day 1 of the structured program today. Dr Robins looks very promising as well.