1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Emotions or Pain Pathways? Help! I am losing hope.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Kerrj74, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

@BloodMoon, it was something I had researched before I was diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos. Given how it affects muscles and nerve impulses, I’ve always found the way stress can prompt symptoms to be very interesting.

2. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, indeed, my ocular myasthenia gravis came on at exactly the same time as I became hypothyroid and that was at the point of reaching menopause which, of course, is very stressful for a whole manner of psychological, as well as physical, reasons. I'll let you know if (or I should say 'when') my myasthenia improves/disappears.

I think your advice about getting on with one's life is absolutely the best, Dorado. I'd been trying all sorts of TMS techniques this past year or so, but recently I've seen some progress (some reduction in pain) since I started writing a book (a lot of my thoughts these days are on the research I'm doing and in working out the plot), learning to play chess, learning a foreign language and doing Rosen Method movements for exercise. It means that my brain isn't constantly throwing up meandering fearful thoughts because it's concentrating on other things...

I'm beginning to think that my brain/mind is like one of those intelligent breeds of dogs that badly misbehaves and wrecks their surroundings if they're not occupied with things that combine their intelligence with movement, e.g. with agility training. But, in my case, it's not the sofa that gets torn to shreds, it has been my body that's suffered. I think that, at least for me, 'getting on with my life' in order to get better essentially entails variety and learning new stuff to keep my mind from getting bored and importantly knowing that those things aren't merely a distraction but something worthwhile (e.g. when I've finished my book someone might like reading it). And I think enjoying the actual process of learning and doing stuff is really important too.

3. Meu-retired

Meu-retired Peer Supporter

4. Simmon

Simmon Newcomer

Hi! WHERE can I read the successful tms story of him(suffered from nerve damage)m

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

@Simmon, Google this: Back In Control Mark Owen

It should be the first hit. Back In Control is Dr Hanscom's website.