1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Effect of food on physical issues - placebo?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by KatieDid123, Apr 3, 2016.

1. andy64tms

andy64tms Well known member

What is the chemical composition of a human?

Almost 99% of the mass of the human body is made up of six elements: oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus. Only about 0.85% is composed of another five elements: potassium, sulfur, sodium, chlorine, and magnesium.

Compare our bodies to a mere plastic bag with the ingredients as stated above. Would it not be logical to assume food is important to the chemical reactions going on? Additionally pharmaceuticals (chemicals) are know to have adverse effects on the body. Split TMS standards would be believing one but not the other.

This is the “BODY” side to the Mind Body Syndrome.

PS. I never liked chemistry at school.
    :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Tennis Tom likes this.
  2. colls100

colls100 Well known member

When I really think about it, I eat pretty well. Definitely compared to the majority of people around me, my diet is really healthy.

And I can't ignore the fact that my symptoms (constant dizziness and daily headaches) began almost IMMEDIATELY after a traumatic event (actually more than one, in quick succession) and the only thing that has helped in any way is anti-depressants and now TMS work (I'm seeing small improvements here and there)

My brain is constantly trying to deny the emotional link when it's the most obvious thing!

It's quite astounding how my brain can convince me to spend time focusing on ANYTHING but my emotions and the link between my mind and body.

For me personally it's a daily challenge to keep the belief in TMS and not get distracted by other potential causes i.e. food

But it's always worth reminding ourselves that we should be making healthy choices when it comes to food.

3. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

It sounds like you've got the right attitude. Based on the details you've provided about your personal situation, I would agree with everything you've said. :)

4. colls100

colls100 Well known member

5. andy64tms

andy64tms Well known member

Hi Colls100,

"It's quite astounding how my brain can convince me to spend time focusing on ANYTHING but my emotions and the link between my mind and body."

It’s not only astounding it can be quite amusing as well. Understanding that we are psychological creatures and that most of our lives are driven by the subconscious, is an area I have been focusing on for quite a while now. I think we all have the ability to analyze our actions and thoughts to great depths if necessary, but it takes practice.

Just for fun let’s forget about food and discuss handbags:

You are in the shopping Mall to buy a new coat; you really need one because your old one is torn and ragged. You pass a Neiman Marcus store and see a handbag on display.

Your heart throbs with desire, the handbag appeals to your sense of perfection and art, your brain is flooded with how much you really need and want this item. The handbag is displayed on its own; you miss the point of this; which is a psychological ploy to aim your focus. The handbag is unpriced; another ploy to make you go in the store. You go in to the store and the sales person uses psychology and flattery to encourage you to open a credit card. You are convinced and you to spend $2,000 on a handbag. It is now understood that sales people and credit card companies use your psychology and emotions to make the sale.

Repercussions of this distracting and singular event lead to the following:

You get wet on the way home!

You really did not need a handbag you already have ten in your closet.

Your weekly budget is blown! And many more...

So let’s rewrite your comment: “It's quite astounding how my brain can convince me to spend money focusing on a handbag instead of a coat that I need.”

Gigilos in another thread made a wonderful suggestion for an “evidence sheet”; you could also do the same for refocusing your internal truths.

Story based on a work friend in the 60’s who’s wife went shopping and spent all the weeks grocery money on shoes. He resorted to giving her money daily so the children could eat.

Have fun you seem to be doing very well

Lizzy likes this.
  6. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Homestead Hermit likes this.
  7. Homestead Hermit

Homestead Hermit Peer Supporter

What a fascinating thread! I've often thought about food as a possible placebo, especially with all the struggles I've dealt with concerning IBS/gut TMS.

My personal experience has taught me my mental state dictates my TMS symptoms much more than food.

Point in case: In recent years my gut symptom has been extreme bloating. My anxiety was amped to the max as I searched everything about how to cure bloating on the Internet (of course, forgetting it was TMS). Most cures dealt with diets, diets that highly restricted what you consumed. I wasn't happy about it, but thought I'll try anything 'natural' if it ends in a cure! My first week ended in me being severely depressed :( So I decided to give up caffiene and restrict my carb intake. After two months I'd lost weight, but my bloating was a s bad as ever.

But wait a minute...Years ago I decided to change my entire lifestyle in order to become healthier. I gave up working in order to grow as much food as I could to preserve and eat fresh during the warm seasons, it was all organic food. I homemake ALL my food, gave up processed foods and anything containing sugar subsitutes (I also decrease suger amounts or leave it out completely, too), vegetable oils (I favor coconut oil and organic butter), I mill local wheat and only consume local beef (although I can't find a good provider of local chicken or pork, I raised my own poultry for eggs and decreased my usage of pork). I switched to organic milk/cream. Eat smaller portions. Although I was physically fit from being in the military, I integrated a wide variety of exercise into my day.

I got fit, healthy, and never felt better....But wait, there's more!

I haven't changed my diet or exercise since then. So WHY has my gut and body gone haywire in the past few years? WHY does it seem like I'm living an unhealthy lifestyle when nothing's changed? Mental anguish is the answer for me.

I will always remember Dr. Sarno talking about how strong our bodies have been created. We ARE NOT fragile. To me, this also goes for food allergies and intolerances. WHY are so many people nowadays affected by food and drink?!

YES I absolutely believe the things being put into food affects us negatively and we should eat as organically and whole as possible. Then why, even when people are on diets of every different kind STILL suffering? I think it all goes back to our mental state and the pressure society and we place on ourselves (that's the case for myself, anyway).

YES, if you are drawn to a certain diet or lifestyle and it genuinely makes you happy, I think it can only help your TMS symptoms :) But for me to alter my diet to something that only brings me down, if I feel any kind of pressure or force to do a certain diet (or exercise) that does not stem from my heart and soul, I know it will not help me, no matter how "healthy" it is.

This is why I am now drinking caffeine (only 2 cups of tea per day, coffee only on the weekends and for special occasions, don't drink soda or energy drinks) to prove to myself TMS is the cause of my symptoms. I'm also not restricting carbs anymore (just a healthy portion each day and when my body tells me so, I might not even have any). These things bring me joy. They are my passion. My symptoms are not gone...but my fear revolved around them is subsiding, making it much easier for me not to CARE about my symptoms. It's as if I don't have symptoms at all because I'm indifferent to them...and that's a big step for me :)

Ewok2, Time2be, plum and 4 others like this.
  8. Homestead Hermit

I enjoyed this British documentary :) Points to a healthy mental attitude trumps what you consume.

Time2be and Lizzy like this.
  9. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

"Points to a healthy mental attitude trumps what you consume."

I totally agree! My weight has been about the same for almost 20 years, but I've gained 10 lbs since December, when I found out my dad is dying. The flip side was losing weight 8 years ago when I was with my uncle in the hospital for a week when he was dying. Chronic stress for gained weight and acute when losing.

Homestead Hermit and Time2be like this.
  10. westb

westb Well known member

I could have written almost all of this, Homestead Hermit. Your experience, including where you are now with the bloating and diet issues, mirrors my own very very closely. This part in particular rings so true for me:

"YES, if you are drawn to a certain diet or lifestyle and it genuinely makes you happy, I think it can only help your TMS symptoms :) But for me to alter my diet to something that only brings me down, if I feel any kind of pressure or force to do a certain diet (or exercise) that does not stem from my heart and soul, I know it will not help me, no matter how "healthy" it is."

I also believe that as a TMSer my physical being is ultra sensitive, not only to my mental state and mental/emotional anguish but because of these also to things like barometric pressure, weather, even the full moon (!) - I've certainly noticed my gut at time seems affected by natural phenomena. Not to say that I am fragile, not at all, my body is strong and healthy, but as a TMSer my system is sensitive. Again, just accepting this fact helps the fear to decrease. And nothing lasts for ever.

Thank you for sharing so openly.

Homestead Hermit and Time2be like this.
  11. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

@Homestead Hermit,

I'm so glad I listened to the random intuitive thought to bump this thread.

Food ought be about pleasure, sharing and communion not privation and control. We are blessed to live in a time where food is plentiful and I profoundly dislike any politicization or control around food. This immediately flags a warning to me.

Bounty, harvest, nourishment, friendship, nurturing and celebrating the cycles of life and Nature are beautiful associations to have with food. Anything else tends towards emotional or psychological aspects that TMS invites us to explore and heal.

Here's to your joy and your passion, and the complete amelioration of your symptoms.

Plum x

12. Homestead Hermit

LOL!!! And I thought I was the only one affected by these things, ESPECIALLY the full moon :) I get other TMS symptoms with that. Another story that comes to mind is when I was in the Navy on deployment I would get SO ANGRY when the waves were higher because I couldn't control my environment, everything around me wouldn't stay put or still and I just felt so angry. This could also point to wanting things to be in my control and when they're not, TMS pops up. Which, of course, includes all the natural phenomena you listed. As well as not being able to control others...especially their happiness, which leads me to be a goodist and perfectionist. I do believe I realize how much of a control freak I am, lol.

SO TRUE! I don't like living in a time where food and drink, things that should bring such joy and togetherness for people, instead brings frustration and fear :(

plum and westb like this.
  13. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm pagan so I celebrate and respect the lunar cycles. I find it beautiful and healing to ebb and flow with Nature. :)

westb likes this.
  14. westb

westb Well known member

I'm with you on this, Plum. It helps a lot to simply relax into the lunar (and other) cycles and observe their effects.

plum likes this.