1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor said my pain and muscle tightness is pshyosomatic

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by NameK, Aug 31, 2018.

1. NameK

NameK Well known member

Just a quick update I went to my doctor and she has said for a 23 year old you've been investigated a lot and we cant find anything wrong. She said that my lower back pain (which was gone for about a week and a half ) is muscle tightness caused by anxiety and stress (being in constant fight or flight). It doesnt help that I might have weak core muscles .Interestingly my back pain has moved to the middle of my back and my shoulders upper back have gotten tight. As well I have occasional knee pain (left side ) which started out of nowhere.

I've been going to the gym again after being away from it for two years as when I was younger I feel that's what helped my anxiety the most but I didn't realize that when I stopped going. Also people have told me my back hurts because I sit too much with bad posture. I might have alittle muscle weakness somewhere rather on my legs lower back or core. I'm also trying to get out of the house more and be more social as I've gotten more anti social in the recent years.

As far as cpps realizing that its TMS and nothing is pshyically wrong there has helped that issue it's practically gone. It's just the lower back pain ,occasional constipation, knee pain tight calves foot pain that gets me as pshyio has told me it's a chain reaction to weak or tight muscles.

2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Pain has nothing to do with posture or weak core muscles, you can't heal as long as you believe in those false perceptions. Learn (see deeper), and heal. Confusion (ignorance) causes suffering and light alone (truth) heals. Your doctor is correct but she doesn't seem to know the way out and may perpetuate your suffering. The movement of your symptoms is a good sign but also a sign of your deeper need for them.

3. NameK

NameK Well known member

Thank you for the response It makes sense that muscle weakness and bad posture are not a direct sign of pain. Plenty of people have just as bad if not worse posture and have no pain or muscle weakness from excessive sitting.

She was steering towards me working on my anxiety and stress rather then treating it as a psyhical cause. I was thinking that constant stress and anxiety (worrying) is what is potentially tightening my muscles? Does that make sense?

4. Aaricia

Aaricia Peer Supporter

My physical therapist said that the pain is moving around my back because my body is compressing different muscles to adjust my posture and tightens them to take the the pain away. Does it make sense?
    It’s still hard to explain why my herniated L5-S1 dick still causes to much pain after 9 months form the accident. And the pain is mostly in my upper back, between my shoulders and in my neck. I don’t feel pain where the injury is. And sometimes I have even week without the pain doing the same things.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  5. NameK

NameK Well known member

For the record my lower back pain started from rather a fall on my tailbone or during sex with my gf and I stopped when it happened . I have had same thing happen to me I have had two one week periods where I was pain free. And when I woke up today I had tightness in my mid to upper back shoulders which doesnt make sense. I dont have great posture but who does ? So we know it's not a psyhical cause its gotta be emotional that's causing it to stick around. Especially with car accidents they can be traumatic and our bodies will be fixated on the event that caused the pain.

My buddy was in a car accident (got rear ended pretty hard) and after almost a month he's pretty much better.

While my gf was in a more serious one and she was fine after 3 to 4 months. Her friend driving the car? Still in pain 2 years later. Why would my gf who was in the same car be better but her friend isnt ? It sounds like tms to me.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  6. Sonic

Sonic Peer Supporter

Yes as this puts your body into fight or flight mode as it feels it’s under threat due to you constant worrying thoughts and the resulting stress chemicals that are getting pumped out into your body.

7. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Well known member

I can relate to all this. Every time I am feeling on edge with stress and anxiety (which is almost all the time) I get aches and pains in different parts of my body especially in my lower back, leg muscles, upper back and I get bad headaches and dizziness. This flight or fight mode really is a horrible thing to go through.

Sonic and NameK like this.
  8. riverrat

riverrat Well known member

How oh how to break the worry cycle?

Sonic likes this.
  9. NameK

NameK Well known member

For me what I've noticed if I just do things I enjoy and carry on with my life I dont have any pain its only when I think about it constantly and worry. I've had two pain free weeks separate from each other one in February and one a few weeks ago. Today my lower back has been pain free but my mid to upper back has been tight

riverrat likes this.
  10. Sonic

Sonic Peer Supporter

Its not just worrying you need to conquer but also stop being in despair of your symptoms. Both of these become habits over time especially if your symptoms are chronic. Self discipline is required to break such habits. Here is a great quote which helped me and I referred to it a few times when the going got tough. I pulled it from a thread on the TMS Help forum by the Hillbilly. Might give you guys some food for thought.

"The first and final hurdle to getting well is and was and shall forever be when you no longer care how you feel because you have determined that your ailments are benign and can no longer scare you or keep you from accomplishing anything. A disciplined mental approach to thinking about accomplishing your daily tasks despite bodily rumblings is essential while you recover. Self-discipline is the no. 1 goal. You have to take it seriously and do it always. No exceptions. Despair over how you feel even for an instant has chemical byproducts that worsen the way you feel. Imagine what happens if you despair all day, every day for months or years over symptoms that are created out of despair to begin with. Ironic, isn't it?. The worst thing facing you is emotional chemical releases, which are nothing at all, really. They will burn up in time if allowed to without cycling through the additional negative reactions to how you feel"

linnyc87, fredb, Sylvia.. and 2 others like this.
  11. riverrat

Thank you for this!
    abjs

12. AnonymousNick

AnonymousNick Peer Supporter

Since it took repetition to build up the conditioning/habits, it makes sense there will be some repetition in our recovery. The initial revelation of the TMS concept is so powerful that you're almost inclined to think that's all it will take (and I guess it does work for some) but I've been finding that there is now the sustained work of reprogramming to be done. It's not as boring or difficult as it sounds and I'm making strides again where before I had kind of plateaued. The subconscious needs a lot of reassurance.....

13. NameK

NameK Well known member

Iv e started working out again even when in in pain to show my body that it's okay to workout when I am working / excersizing I have no pain or a lot less. But after I might be alittle sto after but that's normal I just worked my muscles they are going to be sore.

Also I think this all started for me because i was extemely stressed out for a month straight about my lower back (after taking a fall on my tailbone) being sore and at the time issues in my pelvic region made it even worse. I think this created a constant fear and fight or flight response. It didn't help that I started googling symptoms of chronic lower back pain,pelvic pain etc and it made me worry and freak out even worse.

So I gotta try and relax stay calm as much as I can and positivity as well I'm trying to enjoy my life and accept the pain not fear it and also just kind of ignore it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Stymie67, AnonymousNick and riverrat like this.
  14. riverrat

What were your pelvic type symptoms if I can ask?

15. NameK

NameK Well known member

I had testicle pain , hip pain ,dribbling, pain after urination sometimes. ,flow issue , only had frequency and urgency for like a week. But I rarely get those symptoms now since going to the urologist everything checked out okay and i stopped worrying about it. I saw multiple doctors and one said it was bacterial prostatitis and that sent me into panic. I read fter that only 5%is bacterial thr rest is non bacterial ,its hard to treat etc. But now I know its literally tms or a pshyosomatic disorder. So if I stop worrying about it it will eventually pass.

I thought my lower back pain is and was related but idk if it is or not but I know its TMS or pshyosomatic in nature.

I think googling about those symptoms created a lot of them for me (I have a history of being a hyprochondriac ) so my guess is my back pain is tms pshyosomatic. But I feel like for me if I focus too much on healing it makes ms think about it more and I'd counter productive.

I think the alan gordon program would benefit me thr most as I feel like the fear factor flight or fight response seems to be what's happening tightening my muscles in my back hip butt etc.

Stymie67 likes this.
  16. riverrat

Well it sounds like you're totally on the right track! I'm happy for you - keep going! ☺️

17. LMB

LMB Peer Supporter

I really like your writing are you still on the forum and how are you doing