1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Depression and recovery

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by 331, Feb 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. 331

331 New Member

All my life I've had depression symptoms. Even though I can tick every box on a "do you have depression?" checklist, and it is persistent, I still feel like it is low level. Maybe I'm minimizing it.

With this in mind, I want to ask the forum what the relationship is between depression and TMS recovery? Will depression get in the way? Will the structured program help me cure my depression? Can one be treated without the other?

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Msunn and 331 like this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree with Herbie, that depression is a TMS equivalent, just as anxiety is--think mindbody, there is no distinction. One cannot be treated without treating the other. They are one. The same TMS techniques that address physical pain will help with depression and anxiety. Depression will only get in the way of your healing if it leads to a loss of hope and commitment to do the SEP or other structured program regularly. But that is where this supportive community on the Forum can help. Let us know if you're getting discouraged and we can hopefully help with some encouragement. Also, read the Success Stories whenever feeling discouraged.

And welcome to the Forum! Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can help in any way.

Msunn and 331 like this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

All great advice, 331.
    Claire Weekes' books and videos are great for fighting depression. We all get depressed and for many reasons.
    I fight it by laughing when the blue mood comes on me. Or I just do something that makes me happy or
    pulls my mind into a more positive direction.

If you're near a tv or iPod, watch something that uplifts you or just interests you.

331 likes this.