1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with feelings

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Kev74, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Kev74

Kev74 Peer Supporter

I guess for me it's not just the physical symptoms I have to deal with but it's also the way I feel, and it's hard to put into words. Obviously there's a lot of anxiety, fear, and dread involved. It's an odd feeling like something is wrong. It's like my mind and body are screaming at me something is wrong and I can't shake it. I ask myself why do I feel this way? I didn't feel this way before the symptoms started, so I'm sure it's related. It's just very overpowering and it's hard to convince myself it's all in my head. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about it?

2. braden101

braden101 Peer Supporter

Definitely know the feeling.

How can I go from feeling fine one day, to feeling like I have an elephant sitting on my chest the next day. What the hell changed? What's wrong with me? Then the anxiety kicks in, that feeling deep in your gut that something isn't quite right and the viscous circle starts.

But I'm starting to realise that's the whole point. If we could easily work out what's going on in our mind or what has been bugging us, we wouldn't be having these problems. I've realised over the past couple days, just how effective the TMS process is...All I think about all day is pain, discomfort, anxiety and it is almost impossible to think of anything else.

I've always known there was a battle going on between my mind and body, which I think made me open to the concept of TMS.

Have you started the SEP? The journalling does seem to help, it seems like a bit of a weird thing to do at first but once you get into it, it's alot easier to make sense of everything going on up there and you will find yourself thinking about things that you have never really given much thought.

Mermaid likes this.
  3. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Hey Kev,

It's OK don't worry about the "odd" feeling I had it too. I sending you a big hug because I know how bad you feel. Your nervous system has just become a little sensitive due to the fear - tension - fear cycle, generated because you're baffled by and afraid of your symptoms.

It's not "all in your head" either, the pain you are experiencing is real. Your brain has generated it as a means of distracting you from uncomfortable emotions. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR, you can come to no harm, you are fine, it's just a normal human reaction.

Braden's right you need to start the S.E.P., the more you find out about TMS, and how to heal the less afraid you will be, so your symptoms will begin to subside. You will have ups and downs, but that's fine and normal you just have to stick at it. Braden was as afraid as you just last week, and listen to him now !

Come on Kev you can do this :happy:

Lily Rose and Msunn like this.
  4. Kev74

Kev74 Peer Supporter

Thanks again from the support guys. Hugs back Mermaid. I haven't done the S.E.P. but I'm doing something similar , The MindBody workbook by David Schechter. I'm just getting into it so I haven't gotten to the main part yet. The hard part is being consistent. I might do alright one day but the next I fall right back into old habits. Last night I starting worry about something else that I've already gotten checked out but there is always that "what if" that pops up in my head.

5. Msunn

Msunn Well known member

Hi Kev welcome.

I think what you describe is very common for many of us.

In my case The initial TMS symptoms threatened my ability to play guitar which is how I make a living (RSI problems here), and then the fear, anxiety, and obsessive thinking compounded the problem

This quote from Dr. Sarno made me realize that anxiety can contribute as much to my TMS symptoms as repressed emotions
    "In the long run, fear and preoccupation with physical restrictions are more effective as a psychological defense than pain."

These Claire Weekes audio segments are great for explaining, and dealing with anxiety
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/claire-weekes-audio.2569/

I also think the SEP by Alan Gordon is great, and free! Well worth doing.

Keep sharing your experiences here. You'll find many caring people here willing to help.

All the best

Lily Rose, Mermaid and Ellen like this.
  6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Overcoming the fear and anxiety you have about your symptoms is a process, but they are the moments when you need to practice thinking psychological. When you feel
    the anxiety and fear increasing, you need to begin to ask what emotional factors can be contributing to these symptoms. I would also suggest creating an evidence sheet that lists all of the reasons your symptoms are TMS. Reviewing this whenever you are feel you are beginning to think physical will help you return your focus back to the psychological.

Lily Rose and Tru B Leever like this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Good advice, Forest. Writing an evidence sheet can help us focus on what may be causing our TMS pain.
    I found it to be a good type of journaling. Lists help us to see in a few words what our repressed emotions may be.
    Then we can work on them one-by-one. See which ones we can accept and cross a line though. Forgiveness may
    help to cross lines through a lot of the names on our evidence sheet.

Lily Rose likes this.