1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by VeryHopeful, May 16, 2015.

1. VeryHopeful

VeryHopeful Newcomer

30 years of incredible pain. But after reading some of your posts about similar or greater suffering, I won't whine here - so, just the facts. After trying any and everything I could think of I'd all but given up on experiments with new treatments and retreated to "managing the pain". But a series of events led me to read Dr. Sarno's Healing Back Pain book. His messages immediately resonated with me. I'm greedily reading. For the first time in a long while I'm so encouraged and hopeful. Also, a bit doubtful but more hopeful. Let's get at it!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, VeryHopeful. You have come to the right place. There are thousands of people like myself who have been in
    pain, some for years, and found healing through learning about TMS and reading Dr. Sarno's books.

The Structured Educational Program will help you to heal. It will take you through a series of short daily
    activities that will help you to discover the psychological-emotional reasons for your pain, even though you have
    had pain for so many years. The pain is coming from repressed emotions that may go back to your childhood
    that could be triggered by current or recent events. Or you may have a perfectionist and goodist personality.
    We can put a lot of pressure on ourselves to be perfect and want everyone to like us all the time, so we overdo
    being kind and generous to others.

Stay hopeful and increase your belief that TMS is causing your pain. If you've had it for 30 years, it's doubtful it is
    structural, but have you had a doctor look at you and say nothing is wrong with you physically? Even if something
    structural is found, it may not be causing you pain. It is most likely TMS.

The SEP is big on journaling and I found that to be really helpful. I discovered I had been repressing feelings of
    abandonment and insecurity from my parents divorcing when I was seven. I journaled about that and
    discovered that my parents also had TMS from their difficult childhood and later years. That led me to
    understanding them better and forgiving them. Forgiving ended my back pain.

Welcome to TMSWiki and this community of very caring and helpful friends.

3. VeryHopeful

VeryHopeful Newcomer

h to warrant surgery

Thanks, Walt, for taking the time to write me and for your encouragement. Yes, I've been to many, many doctors, therapists and "gurus". I was diagnosed years ago with 3 herniated disks between L4/L5 and L5/S1 as well as 2 in my neck but all who confirmed this diagnosis said that the hernias were not large. Fortunately, a renowned Swiss surgeon advised me to not have surgery. He said, "you're lucky that I'm rich and at the end of my career because I will tell you frankly, surgery won't help you, your condition is not severe enough to warrant it." He advised that I manage it with stretching, massage, anti-inflammatories and therapy. I was very disappointed to hear this. But, with no other options available I surrounded myself with massage therapists, chiropractors and traditional Chinese doctor. The help me manage the pain and help when I occasionally have bouts with extreme spasms.

As I read Sarno and observe the odyssey of pain and symptoms it's clear that there are inconsistencies in the diagnoses. The pain moves around and does not correspond to the diagnosed problem. Further, I have suffered at various time in my life from allergies, asthma, dizziness, anxiety and panic attacks. But, again, these ailments have appeared and disappeared without obvious reason.

Yes, right again; I am by nature a perfectionist, a goodist, full of anxiety and anger from childhood and highly self-critical.

Thanks again and hope to chat with you again as I proceed with the SEP.

Blessings

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm glad my reply was helpful. We sound a lot alike in that we have had childhood emotional stresses and
    are perfectionists and goodists. I found relief from my back pain by journaling, as I said.
    It takes time. TMS has built up inside us for years and it can take a while to understand the causes.
    Then we heal.

Keep positive. That's very important. Keep mentally active, and in a happy, positive direction.
    Do what physical activity you can. Even if it's just vacuuming the floor or doing the dishes.
    Do everything while thinking of yourself being in the present moment.

A friend is depressed because of unrequited love from a guy she had been with for five years who
    has found someone else. She also is soon to lose her job and worries about finding another.
    She emailed me today that she is going to spend most of this day, a Sunday, watching good old movies on tv.
    That's a good way to distract herself from her worries and anxieties.

Have the best day possible!

5. VeryHopeful

VeryHopeful Newcomer

Thanks, Walt!

Warm regards