Alan G. chronic fatigue?

For anybody who may be interested in chronic fatigue, I wanted to update this thread.

I now consider myself to be a success story. I will write more about it in the success stories section of the TMS Wiki (eventually :)). But in a nutshell... I've been exercising, lifting weights, and being active everyday for over a month. I've seen no return of the fatigue and cold/flu like symptoms.

How'd I do it? I worked Alan Gordon's; Pain Recovery Program | TMS Forum (The Mindbody Syndrome) (tmswiki.org)
And as I've indicated in other threads, I really worked it. I went through it multiple times and took copious notes each time. I basically re-wrote his whole program in my own words, then summarized it, and then summarized it further. (Pretty crazy, eh?)

I also started doing mindfulness meditations. I used the meditation to embellish and support Alan's somatic tracking techniques, as well as to deal with difficult emotions. It really helped reduce my anxiety, which was another important factor in my recovery. I particularly like the free UCLA MARC meditations - Weekly Podcast at the Hammer - UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center - Los Angeles, CA (uclahealth.org)

Was it easy? No, it was not. I really had to stick with it through some difficult challenges. But it was incredibly rewarding. Not just because I feel so much better, but also because it's been a wonderful opportunity for growth and insight. I guess that's why some folks call TMS a gift.
 
I had something like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, decided it was a form of TMS and got better. :)

I say it was 'like CFS', because I never had it diagnosed. But here were the symptoms:
1. Low energy/fatigue.
2. Felt like I had a cold or flu or terrible allergies that wouldn't go away.
3. Both #1 and #2 were magnified by moderate exercise or a day with lots of physical exertion.

I've suffered with this off and on over the past several years. I just recently got fed up with it and decided it was some kind of TMS. I started journaling (again), re-reading Dr. Sarno's books, consciously thinking about my feelings during the day(again), etc., etc.

The problem went away rather quickly. I've noticed this pattern a lot... that I have to get fed up, decide it's TMS, start doing the things needed to get better... and then I finally get better.

FYI - I have been pain free for around seven years now, thanks to Dr. Sarno.
How are you now? Do we have to feel the emotions and trauma?
 
what kind of allergies did you have? how you dealt with it
I had something like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, decided it was a form of TMS and got better. :)

I say it was 'like CFS', because I never had it diagnosed. But here were the symptoms:
1. Low energy/fatigue.
2. Felt like I had a cold or flu or terrible allergies that wouldn't go away.
3. Both #1 and #2 were magnified by moderate exercise or a day with lots of physical exertion.

I've suffered with this off and on over the past several years. I just recently got fed up with it and decided it was some kind of TMS. I started journaling (again), re-reading Dr. Sarno's books, consciously thinking about my feelings during the day(again), etc., etc.

The problem went away rather quickly. I've noticed this pattern a lot... that I have to get fed up, decide it's TMS, start doing the things needed to get better... and then I finally get better.

FYI - I have been pain free for around seven years now, thanks to Dr. Sarno.
 
Back
Top