1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Can't talk to anyone about my TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Davideus85, May 21, 2021.

1. Davideus85

Davideus85 Peer Supporter

I don’t know if anyone else is in the same boat as I am, but I know absolutely no one personally that understands or knows about TMS. No one that I can go to for support concerning my symptoms. I can’t talk to anyone about it. The times I’ve attempted to explain TMS to those closest to me…well, I might as well be speaking Chinese. It simply fails on deaf ears. People just don’t get it. And it makes me feel incredibly isolated and lonely. So I’ve just learned to keep it to myself. But I feel like that is what in part is keeping my symptoms so active. I’m holding all this in, and quite frankly, I just can’t anymore, cause I can’t suffer in silence forever. I just can’t do this alone.
    Is it really necessary to go through this alone?

oneperson likes this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

That is why this Forum is so valuable. You can always "talk" to us and so you are never alone.

TMS is on the cutting edge right now so it is hard to find like-minded people who understand the concept. So for the time being we just have to be here for each other as much as possible.

oneperson and Davideus85 like this.
  3. Davideus85

It's a nice thought, however I find that people rarely if ever respond to posts.

4. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Really? That's not been my personal experience of asking for help on this forum, albeit I did once get impatient about receiving replies to one particular posting of mine and removed it, but someone asked me to repost because they had read my original posting and were about to respond...

Anyway, putting our differing experiences aside, there are programmes you can do where you can express yourself about TMS, e.g. Alan Gordon's pain recovery program https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/ (Pain Recovery Program) and the SEP https://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Structured_Educational_Program (Structured Educational Program) which are interactive and I've seen members of the forum replying aplenty to people's comments and queries in relation to working through both programmes, particularly the SEP -- as you can post up your TMS work/journey on to the forum.

If funds permit, you could consider working with a professional TMS councillor.

You can unload and spew stuff into a journal.

And what I've found supportive and helpful is to do a search on the TMS Wiki and forums on whatever I'd like some support about and about what's bothering me and read what people have said in past postings on threads; there's an absolutely huge mine of supportive information and comments to be viewed going back years. I'm not fully recovered from TMS, but there is a wealth of forum members' postings - particularly from those who have recovered but stick around the forum to help others - that imo are really detailed, often very comprehensive and helpful; one of my personal favourites for supportive insight are Baseball65's postings.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    TG957, oneperson and Ellen like this.
  5. BloodMoon

Davideus85 likes this.
  6. Davideus85

I’ve tried to deal with my TMS on my own and be my own therapist and do the work, and I feel like I’ve exhausted the limit of my own resources. I’ve reached a brick wall when it comes to my progress. My symptoms simply aren’t getting better - in fact they’ve been getting much worse, and I’m just clueless what to do about it. I’m on a fixed income so I can’t really afford to hire a TMS therapist. Mainstream medicine is not going to be able to do a thing to help. So I feel incredibly trapped here and very hopeless. I’m desperate for whatever help I can get. I’ll take anything at this point.

7. BloodMoon

Have you actually fully committed to doing all of the things like I suggested in my previous posting above - for instance, did you, hand on heart, work your way properly through the SEP, did you thoroughly do Alan Gordon's program, have you read @Baseball65's postings and acted on his detailed advice in those postings (I highly recommend them) and have you regularly 'attended' the Wiki text chat room on a Saturday, etc? Or, did you 'tickle' at such things? I don't ask this to be nasty, combative or accusatory (far from it, as I have been a 'tickler' myself!) it's just that I recognise that the problem with the majority of TMS 'strugglers' like me is that our TMS mind is highly resistant to change...In resisting change it generally means that it fibs to us and/or deludes us and/or uses other tactics to make us give up, e.g. rejecting helpful suggestions, making excuses as to why TMS work won't work for us...and so on and so on. Our TMS mind wants the status quo; it's fearful, so it fights change every step of the way...for instance, I am almost certain it won't like what I'm saying in this posting!

In another thread that you started you wrote:
    You actually have your answer in what you wrote above!...Stop making those excuses, start working on living life to the fullest now (today!) while you have TMS symptoms...Do something - anything! - that you enjoy and -- if your status quo loving TMS mind is fibbing to you and telling you that you don't enjoy anything -- do something generally regarded by people as being pleasant or try something new...it doesn't have to be something big, you can start small and gradually build on it - take baby steps and keep at it. @miffybunny, and other forum members who have recovered, are always saying to do this. Doing this while you have TMS symptoms means that you won't have a 'vacuum' (as you put it) to suddenly fill when your TMS symptoms disappear; the things you'll be doing towards living your life to the fullest will gradually replace ('push out' of your life) your obsessive thoughts etc...Also, when you are living a fuller life, you will find you will be able, or at least better able, to deal with non-TMS problems that we all have to deal with in life without triggering off your mind to produce TMS symptoms in response.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    TrustIt, TG957 and Sita like this.