1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Book about Anxiety (mentioned by Forest)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Laudisco, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

I've been trying to search through the forums, because I remember reading on a thread several weeks ago some links to books about anxiety. One of them was an inexpensive ebook, which (if I recall correctly) Forest suggested and provided a link for.

I've tried to go back and search through the forums, but I can't seem to track it down. Can anyone provide the link again for me? It would be much appreciated!

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Laudisco likes this.
  3. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Or was it Self-help for Fear and Anger, The Recovery Method ebook by Robert Courtade? I remember Forest posting about this and at the time I put the book in my wish list, waiting until I had a slot in my reading schedule. One of my TMS issues is an inability to concentrate when I read but that's a whole nuther story!;)

Laudisco likes this.
  4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Unlearn Your Anxiety and Depression really was excellent, wasn't it, Ellen?

There are four books that I tend to think of when I think about books that are specifically about anxiety.
    • Unlearn Your Anxiety and Depression is the only one that is specifically focused on Anxiety and refers it to a form of what we would call TMS. I found it to be more scientific than how-to, which made it fascinating, but may make it less helpful. As always, I have terrific respect for Dr. Schubiner's credentials. He is currently helping to run a $2 million government grant to study the power of expressive writing in helping people with Fibromyalgia and he has done the only randomized controlled trial (the gold standard in medicine) in which part of the treatment was reading a book by Dr. Sarno.
    • Self-help for Fear and Anger, The Recovery Method is a $1 ebook by Robert Courtade. The Recovery Method was started by a Chicago doctor named Abraham Low, who used peer support to help people manage their fear and anger. He started a nonprofit, Recovery International, which is one of the models that we base our own peer support nonprofit on. (Speaking of randomized controlled trials (RCTs), Recovery International has used RCTs to undeniably prove that their programs help people.) Robert Courtade is a veteran who was hugely helped by Recovery International's programs, and his book includes many ideas taught by the nonprofit. It is based on a series of aphorisms. I'm inspired that he sells it for so little.
    • Claire Weekes' books, such as Hope and Help For Your Nerves are absolute classics. We have an in depth article about her ideas that I'm still trying to find the time to post. If anyone wants to twist my arm on that, I'd be happy to post it earlier.
    • Finally, another book which I suspect is excellent is The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook. It consistently tops the bestseller list for the subject of anxiety and has terrific reviews.
    In terms of comparing and contrasting, I would read Schubiner's book if your motivation is curiosity and your interest is science. Courtade's book is full of no-nonsense, time-tested tips for dealing with powerful emotions and not having them disrupt relationships. Weekes' book tends to focus on managing attacks of panic, but doesn't talk about managing the fears that bring the panic on. For that, the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook might be best in that it gives you a nice structure to argue with the beliefs which may be fueling the sources of your anxiety. Just as we might use the 12 daily reminders to argue with our anxiety about our pain symptoms, the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook would give general tools for arguing with beliefs that lead to anxiety. Finally, if you are trying all of that and still having help getting along, Courtade offers time-tested tips to help de-escalate when that's what you need to do so that you can get on with your life.

All excellent books!

The original post I made can be found here:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/anxiety-especially-health-anxiety.5591/#post-33212

That entire thread is excellent for anyone interested in anxiety, a perennial topic in TMS.

Finally, I found the thread by searching for all topics that I had written that had the word anxiety in them. I realized that this is a valuable skill. For example, you could use it to see all of the posts that Steve Ozanich or Alan Gordon have written about anxiety. @JanAtheCPA is a great writer on anxiety, so you could find all of the posts she has written about Claire Weekes.

I made a tutorial to show you how. Only 69 seconds long!
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/how-to-find-all-posts-about-a-topic-by-a-specific-person.6740/

Laudisco and mike2014 like this.
  5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Just want to add that the reason Unlearn Your Anxiety and Depression is more theoretical and scientific than practical is that the ebook available right now only contains the first 5 chapters. The workbook section will be available in the print version in "early 2015". But for those of us who also have Unlearn Your Pain, the workbook section in that book is the same.

From Amazon:

This eBook contains the first five chapters of the hard copy version of Unlearn Your Anxiety and Depression (which will be available in early 2015). The self-guided program however is available now in the hard copy version of Unlearn Your Pain, available from amazon.com.

Laudisco and mike2014 like this.
  6. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Thanks for sharing everyone! I appreciate it. The one I was looking for is Self-help for Fear and Anger, The Recovery Method is a $1 ebook by Robert Courtade. However, I really appreciate the other suggestions. It's good to look into a range of different resources. :)

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest posted a great list of books on anxiety.

There are also some excellent videos on YouTube.