1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Allergies disappeared, and now...a cold coming up...?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Anna1, May 29, 2015.

1. Anna1

Anna1 Peer Supporter

Hello dear TMS friends,

After about 15 years I have been freed from my "allergie" symptoms recently as you can read in an other thread!! Very amazing and great indeed. Especially because I'm a singer and it was bothering my voice so much every spring. It was TMS all along.

Now I have an important three days ahead: tomorrow I have a small presentation/audition/competition. On Sunday an audition, afterwards a performance. Then I have to travel long distance for the next audition on Monday. This is the most important of the three (I guess). A few days later I fly to the next long distance location for a competition.

Yesterday I had a performance and "felt something" in my nose cavity. I tried not to become anxious about it. Last night I woke up with a stuck and burning nose cavity. It is SO VERY OBVIOUSLY TMS!!!

But how to stop it? I have never been able to stop a cold when it's as "far" as it is now. Usually when I feel "something" in my throat/cavity's I can still stop it by TMS-ing as I always do. But I actually feel helpless against this stadium. It speaks to my fear so directly. My subconscious chooses this place, obviously, because it influences my career opportunities - that I've worked for so hard - so directly. So there is no way I can ignore it. I have to sing. And I will. Of course I will just go and do my thing.

I will find a way to tackle this symptom imperative.

Suggestions or experiences in this field are very welcome at this moment! Thanks in advance

:cat:

2. Anna1

Anna1 Peer Supporter

Something quite important just dawned on me: yesterday I bumped into one of the principles of the show who is singing my dream role of this show. She has the exact same voice type and has had totally obstructed sinuses since two performances ago. I remember thinking: I hope I don't catch whatever she has after I talked to her. It is even more obvious how the subconscious has picked up on that. How on earth do our own minds work against us like this?!!!!

I know, it has a function. And I haven't slept well for many nights in a row... because my mother is very ill and I have taken up way too much responsibity... again. It might be the rage I am suppressing here.... I have to go, write my sunconscious (and maybe my mother) a letter... (not for sending!!! ;-) )

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Anna. I really am sorry you are having problems with a cold, your throat, and nose, since you are a professional singer.

You have been under a lot of pressure what with auditions, performances, and travel, besides caring for your ill mother.
    I think your symptoms are from TMS, from all you are handling right now.

My spring allergies have really been bad this year, and the weatherman says we're having one of the worst allergy springs in years.
    That may be so, from pollen and other natural sources, but I believe my allergy symptoms including headaches are from TMS
    since I've been under a lot of financial pressure this spring. I am thinking positively and not letting it get me down.

I think you need to think positive and that you will get through these rough times.
    My mother gave me great advice when I was under stress: "This, too, shall pass."

I've had trouble sleeping but now fall asleep fast
    by deep breathing. It's the yoga deep "belly breathing:: 4-7-8:

The 4-7-8 breathing technique was pioneered Dr. Andrew Weill from Arizona, who describes the yoga-inspired method as “utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere.”

Dr.Weill claims that 4-7-8 breathing can help people fall asleep in just 60 seconds by acting as a “natural tranquiliser for the nervous system” that reduces stress and tension in the body.

1. Before you begin, place the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth just above your teeth and keep it there throughout the exercise.

2. Exhale completely through your mouth quite forcefully so you make a “whoosh” sound.

3. Close your mouth and inhale quietly and softly through your nose for a mental count of four.

4. Hold your breath and count to seven.

5. Next, exhale completely through your mouth, making another whoosh sound for eight seconds in one large breath.

6. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three times for a total of four breaths.