1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Book You Are the Placebo

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Marian, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Marian

Marian Peer Supporter

I am about halfway through Dr. Joe Dispenza's new book, You are the Placebo. Fantastic! I know that for many of us, repressed emotional issues and the resulting pain cycles are the cause of our TMS. But for some like me, there is a secondary cause that has to be dealt with and that's just plain old conditioning. Making a habit of the pain cycle, so that the body takes on a mind of its own.

I believe Alan Gordon deals with this briefly in his recovery program. It's a hard topic to address and it's difficult to figure out how to break this cycle. I'm talking about the cycle of focusing on and fearing the pain, and how that creates more pain, creating more focus and fear, and so on.

At this point of hypersensitivity and neurological overdrive, the repressed emotions aren't even in play any more. The machine is running itself.

This new book is already helping me feel like I can break this cycle and I'm only halfway through.

I know that there are other ways of breaking this cycle... like Steve O's method of pushing through the pain. This is a more mental approach.

Laudisco, Abbo, Forest and 1 other person like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I read recently about making a habit of the pain cycle and will look for it and get back to you about it.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

4. Marian

Marian Peer Supporter

Thanks, Walt... I will check this out.

5. Marian

Marian Peer Supporter

Checked out the link, Walt. Excellent advice. I would say that Dr. Dispenza's book includes these ideas and then expands upon them. For anyone who seriously needs help to overcome that hard focus on pain and become outcome-independent, I can say that this book is helping me.

Abbo and Forest like this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I'm glad the Dr. Dispenza information was helpful to you. Feeling pain is sure one habit we should try to break,
    and if we work on it, we can.

7. Sheree

Sheree Well known member

Thanks Marian for the tip. I have ordered the book - just waiting for delivery

Marian likes this.
  8. Kim Mc

Kim Mc Peer Supporter

Hi all-it has been about 6 weeks since I finished the SEP and about a month since I checked in. At that point I was having great success using the tools I learned during the program to "resume normal activity" even when things were uncomfortable and especially when the good old symptom imperative reared it's head. My challenge at that point was that many foods that I had been restricted from for numerous reasons and had previously binged during eating disorder years were causing inflammation in my joints. During the SEP I started to understand that "resume normal activity" for me included being able to eat normally again-to enjoy food in a flexible and joyful way, to eat out again with my family, to experience life, which my arthritic condition and the corresponding dietary restrictions had prohibited for so many years. I realized that my body had just learned this connection from food to inflammation and it just had to unlearn it, just like the arthritis itself in a TMS light. Just at that time, I began reading You Are the Placebo mentioned above. I read it in a couple of weeks and have been doing the corresponding meditations. Gradually since then I have begun to disconnect food and the associated fear of it from what I believed to be the resulting physical symptoms. I went on a 5-day trip with my family and didn't prepare one meal for myself-I ate out for 15 meals, something I haven't done for 10 years. Did I have any joint inflammation during the trip?--yes I did, but I just kept running my TMS tools through my mind--confront the emotions (which there usually are some :) and resume normal activity. I believe I was also blessed with another tool just before that trip that has helped me to move forward and to break this connect between food and my physical discomfort. During the Placebo meditation one day, I found myself saying one of the Louise Hay affirmations--"I give myself permission to be all that I can be, I love and accept myself and others, I deserve the very best in life". I had often wondered what I thought the very best in life was. At that moment I heard, "Uncertainty is the very best in life, as it is the most direct route to Me." That message sort of brought everything together for me--the TMS concepts, the scientific and spiritual concepts in Placebo, and the emotional and physical challenges I have in each moment. It helped to sort of lift me above those moments. Dr Dispenza talks about becoming more wave than particle during meditation--that that's where healing occurs. That voice, which resides in me now, kind of helps that happen in each moment. Does this all mean that I no longer have rheumatoid arthritis? I think it means I am healing from the inside out. Interestingly though a few people have asked my husband recently if I am healed. I guess more will be revealed as I move forward. I no longer need to know what comes next because I know I'll be cheating myself of the very best in life:) Thank you again to everyone here for your part in all of this. Your support has been invaluable.

Abbo, Colly, DanielleMRD and 2 others like this.
  9. Marian

Marian Peer Supporter

Wow, Kim Mc, what a fantastic story for me to read. I was just in the crazy phase this past year of beginning to restrict my diet, feeling that certain foods were inflaming my joints. When I began directly confronting my TMS I could see that this was an aspect of it that I would eventually be having to work with, so it's incredibly encouraging to hear from someone else who has been at that place. I'm finding that the combination of the SEP, my learning about TMS, and my beginning to understand (through Placebo) that I have become conditioned into my pain and that it will take some deliberate effort, through meditation and affirmations, to create a self that has more energy and presence than the old pathways. So I feel that between the two approaches—TMS and Dr. Dispenza's approach, I'm coming at it from two different directions.

The best part is feeling empowered. Feeling as though this is a fantastic time to be alive and to be coming out of such a long human sleep.

Thanks again for posting this here! Sending all best wishes for continued revelations and empowerment.

Forest and Ellen like this.
  10. JoelA

JoelA Peer Supporter

wow. just wow. I was mind.blown. several times reading this book.

It has "clicked" a couple of times for me, and I've gradually understood TMS better and better. But this was the last piece of that puzzle. "Finding my own inner placebo".

Once you've gotten a good grasp of TMS - do three things.

1. Read SteveOs book.
    2. Read You are the Placebo.
    3. Then just do.

TMS is a habit with repressed/learned emotions that drives and maintains the process of past beliefes. Visualize your new future consistently and then become it.

11. Marian

Marian Peer Supporter

Joel, I have to agree. Those are the three steps I've employed once I had a clear understanding of TMS. Since then it has been a matter of working with my mind in the present moment in such a way that I am aligning to a new future. It's pretty freakin' mind-blowing.

12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I've found it helpful to do my deep breathing by being in the present moment
    telling myself "I am breathing in now, I am holding my breath now, I am breathing out now."
    The longer we can stay in the present moment, the better we are at TMS healing.

13. DanielleMRD

DanielleMRD Peer Supporter

Just bought this book. Can't wait to read it. I'm stuck in the symptom imperative cycle...hoping this will help break me free. After years of looking outside for healing, I see that it's really time to look within. Thank you all for sharing ❤️❤️

14. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi All,

I have just started reading 'You are the placebo', it's a fantastic read so far and I actually suggest it as a pre-requisite to any TMS book you read. It explains the placebo, power of belief and commitment to healing oneself. I think this is something which is needed before you start any healing program.

Abbo likes this.
  15. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I am very much enjoying this book, as well. It explains a lot about TMS development and healing, though doesn't use that terminology.

Forest likes this.
  16. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I think we all need to know more about placebos.
    That books sounds great.

17. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I just watched a tremendous video from the author of the book. If you want to really understand how the mind/brain works, watch this video. Good stuff and very cutting edge.

Abbo, blake and DanielleMRD like this.
  18. Nattycakes

Nattycakes Peer Supporter

This is in my list to read! Sounds fascinating. I'm glad everyone likes it...

The placebo effect is fascinating and so is the power of the mind. It amazes me what it can do with a belief.. Like that man who was told he had a cancerous tumor and was terminal.. He died. Then they did an autopsy, and found out the tumor was benign! Or how someone who was told they'd never walk again, can walk right out a hospital door. Or when they did a study on a group and told them they were given alcohol.. When they weren't. They acted, and felt drunk! So so many examples of this! Which relates back to TMS healing... Your belief is everything.