1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Yoda on TMS

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by Forest, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Just had to share...​

nightfury, Mermaid, Ellen and 3 others like this.
  2. Ollin

Ollin Peer Supporter

Thanks! I love Star Wars for all the spiritual messages it contains.

3. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

OMG Forrest - that is soo brilliant! About five years ago my niece put a Yoda voice on my phone - so when I get a message it says in Yoda's voice 'Message from the dark side, there is' This has been very funny when shopping and a message turns up - you can see people thinking 'Did I just hear that?' I keep having to say 'It's ok - it's my phone'. It was far more embarrassing when 3 messages came through in quick succession - whilst I was looking around a church! Not the best place for a message like that! So - it was amazing to see your clip - all these years I have had Yoda telling me about TMS - every day! I should of listened sooner...

tarala likes this.
  4. Lori

Lori Well known member

Very good clip.

"help you I can, yes. hmmmmmmm" :)

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Yeah, I love how he ties anger/hate/rage into it. George Lucas probably meant that we become angry at what we fear, but in the context of TMS it could mean that living with something that terrifies you can be enraging. Fundamentally, you know that your TMS isn't fair and you just want to rage at the world for doing this to you. Unfortunately, this rage only leads to suffering because, as Dr. Sarno explained, rage is crucial to TMS.

I also found another great Yoda quote. "Grave danger you are in. Impatient you are." I think that Lucas' message in this quote is that impatience, like fear, can lead us to take shortcuts, forgetting our true priorities. It could also be applied to TMS, though, in that people are often so eager to heal that their very focus on healing can become a source of emotional tension that can make their TMS worse rather than better. Marc Sopher calls this calendar watching, and Alan Gordon calls this outcome dependence. No matter what you call it, you need to avoid it and instead cultivate a sense of equanimity and joy.

I suspect that both quotes were directed toward young Anakin Skywalker, who later became Darth Vader. Yoda sees him heading in the wrong direction and is trying to warn him away from turning to the dark side.

I found a better video of the first quote that shows him saying this to Anakin. I think it's worth watching if you've read this far:

In general, if Anakin suffered from impatience and anger and Yoda tried to coach him away from these things, perhaps these Yoda quotes can be relevant to TMS healing. I believe that TMS healing starts with a mindset, and that everything else flows from that. Once you get the mindset right, then you can start cooling down your rattled and terrified nervous system. The parts of your brain involved in fear (most notably your amygdala) can literally shut off the higher centers of your brain that would otherwise help you soothe yourself. As your brain prepares to "fight or flight," it is as if it fears that it cannot afford to focus on anything else. That is a problem, because TMS is a mindbody condition, so anything that gets your mind out of whack will inevitably also cause problems in your body.

Once you get your mindset straightened out, then your true Self comes out. At the Harvard/Mass General Hospital conference about mindbody medicine that I went to a couple months back, this was referred to as top-down functioning, where the higher, more enlightened areas of your brain are guiding the older, shadowy areas and soothing them over time. You learn how to bring joy and happiness into your life rather than rage, fear and frustration. (Carrying the Star Wars metaphor forward, the light side of the force starts winning over the dark side of the force within you ;).) Then, when those changes have taken hold in your mind and you have reached a level of meditative equanimity, those changes will become reflected in your body.

I suspect that when George Lucas was creating the Yoda character, he wanted to make 800 year old Yoda seem as wise as possible, so he took what he thought were some of the wisest ideas that he knew of and channeled them into the character. Perhaps the reason why the character resonates with me so much is that that's basically what we are doing here. As peers, we take what we have learned from our own experience (which might seem like 800 years because of all of the pain) and try to share it with other members in "the fraternity of TMS." When we see someone going down the path of fear or obsession, it can feel a bit like Yoda coaching Luke.

.... Now I'm going to start wanting to put Yoda quotes in threads in the support subforum. I'll try to resist the urge, as the newcomers probably wouldn't make the connection, but I can't guarantee that I'll resist the urge. Life is about having fun after all...​

nightfury likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, Forest. Yoda is pure TMS/Sarno. So much wisdom in the "Star Wars" saga.
    And presented as entertainment.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

yb44 likes this.
  8. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Love it, Walt. My dog is even more of wimp. He won't come through certain doors at times and there certainly is no cat barring his entry.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Poor doggie. H's spooked by something. Maybe he has Doggie TMS.

10. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Excellent. I thought I'd bump this fun little thread up to the top.

Simplicity likes this.
  11. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Darn it but I wish Yoda did not sound like the Cookie Monster. I guess one guy can only do so many voices!