1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

TMS back after years - Insomnia

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Pingman, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

So I had TMS issues back years ago with health anxiety that produced some real physical pains that mimicked the worry I had. After numerous tests I was deemed fine. I had been actually able to create severe legs cramps, distorted vision etc...

I consider TMS and HA one in the same, or at least the kind I suffer from. I don't worry about heart attacks or things like that. I feel a pain and that's when my mind steps in and says its time to protect you from something. Lets amp up that pain so you think about it all of the time....oh and go to google so you can really scare yourself.

Back in August I got a DVT in my leg. Honestly, not a big worry. I was more worried about finding out I have a genetic blood clot disorder and have to be on a blood thinner for life. Started to lose weight to help my cause and had some lower glut pain into my pelvic floor. Went to the urologist and he said it could be stress coupled with my exercise. I began to ruminate on it. Along with Covid and being an extrovert in isolation, extreme stress at work I was overwhelmed.

I started to wake up at 2 am in the morning and that added to my fears. I worried about how I would function if I did not sleep. Would my immune system go down and make getting Covid worse if I acquired it. Could I work well, be happy for my family if I was tired.

Instead of just watching golf at night and going to bed with the TV on, sleeping 7 hours like clockwork I am finding I am trying reading, breathing exercises, no coffee after 2pm.

I have read the Claire Weekes books and am trying to apply the TMS principles. I understand that it is the fear of not sleeping that is keeping this alive. Just curious if anyone has any advice on what they might do when they awake in the middle of the night. What positive thoughts do you think?

I am also aware that my inner voice is back...trying to distract me from something I suppose. I have been struggling with my relationship with god and simply being in my 40s and just more aware of life in general. Trying to get back to normal for my wife and son is also pressure.

Anyone reverse their issues.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

It is anxiety that keeps you awake. I have been having trouble sleeping in the past few months. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I try to meditate, focusing on deep, slow breathing. I don't try to talk myself into positive thoughts, but rather disconnect myself from my thoughts and follow my breath.

Ellen and Lizzy like this.
  3. Pingman

Well I applied some of the TMS thought processes last night and was able to fall asleep quickly and stay asleep for about 6 hours, which is what I normally sleep most nights. Even when relaxed, I have always tended to watch late night talk shows or golf and wake up for work. All I am taking is a melatonin. Feeling blessed today. I can feel the TMS moving now. Going to keep affirming to my mind that this is just tension and nothing else.

Lizzy and TG957 like this.
  4. Sita

Sita Well known member

Yes, me too. I also start knitting sometimes. Usually not thinking anymore, just knitting and vegetating while doing it. Being in a state of mind of a ... plant, ficus, something like that. To be honest, I try to stay in that state of mind most of the time. Not to get hyper nor down about x or y. Balanced.

It works for me not to analyze and to just keep it simple. The mind, I mean. Otherwise, my mind can go a million places at the same time, that's why I have to keep it on a short leash. Sometimes I give the mind orders, like training a dog or something like that. It works for me. For ex: "Stay !"(in meditation), "Listen!" (in conversations) and so on.

Take care.

Lizzy and TG957 like this.
  5. Pingman

Things have gotten better. I have had to change the way I think about sleep. I have been reminded by my wife that I always have stayed up late and awoke fairly early for the last 13 years. I use to enjoy being up by myself and having coffee. So why am I placing so much pressure on myself to get 7 hours a night.

Second, I use to love watching golf in bed before sleep and I always have awoke at night and just watched tv before falling to sleep.

map I have stopped all the reading in bed, listening to sleep music etc....

I am just going to bed again and not worrying as much and I have been able to sleep 6 hours again.

soon I will stop taking melatonin as I feel it might just be reinforcing the thought I have sleep issues.

6. Pingman

Slept 6.5 hours last night, no melatonin. Really been helping to just think that I will be ok if I don't sleep.

Lizzy likes this.