1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

This Might Hurt

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mike2014, Aug 20, 2015.

1. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

2. IndiMarshall

IndiMarshall Well known member

3. mike2014

I highly doubt it, it's Hollywood. They've probably identified the lady has trauma from her childhood and is in chronic pain but not connected the dots.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  4. IndiMarshall

Are you talking about the movie I mentioned ?
    Yes they are not aware of mind body connection. Its simply about Chronic Pain.

My first line is about the movie you are talking about. Looking at their FB page makes me think they are fully aware of TMS. There are links to SIRPA and Dr Howard Shubiner

5. mike2014

The movies I mentioned in my initial posts is about TMS, it's a little independent film.

My statement Re: Hollywood relates to the Jennifer Anniston film which you've mentioned.

6. IndiMarshall

Yep we are on same page

7. This Might Hurt

This Might Hurt New Member

Hi there!

Marion from This Might Hurt here. We heard our film was mentioned on the forum so I just thought I'd stop by and introduce myself. Our film is definitely about the mind-body connection and TMS related. Check our website where you can view our trailer (currently password protected while we finalize a few music clearances - but hope to have a final version live in a few weeks) and learn a little about myself and Kent Basset, my co-director. Please let us know if you have any questions about the film and we'll be happy to answer them. Thanks!

8. mike2014

Thanks Marion, do you know when the film will be released? Thanks

9. This Might Hurt

Good question, Mike. The short answer is TBD but hopefully in less than to years. Like someone mentioned above we are a completely independent project and we've been self funded working on the film for the past few years and putting in about $50,000. Kent and I are both film and television professionals and this is our passion project that we do outside of our day jobs. Filmmaking is an expensive art form and the editing process can take a lot of time. We've applied to many grants but so far we haven't succeeded in that arena. Currently we are both on the project full time, and will continue to be until our savings accounts dwindle and we have to get day jobs again. :) There is a donation button on the website if you know anyone who would like to contribute! All donations are tax deductible and they help us continue to work on the film so we can finish it and get it out to folks who could use this info!

Cap'n Spanky and Forest like this.
  10. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

awesome Marion, I have followed the dev of your film for a while now. when is it being released?
    it will be fantastic to have another film in the same vein as RUMURs project. hopefully they will complement each other.

Questions.
    1. will it include a strong skeptic or two..a good balance?
    2. have the filmmakers their own personal exp with TMS?
    3. Have you got sound scientific/medical advisors?

I ask this because it was a huge personal leap for me to even consider the TMS concept in the first place and I want as many people as possible to give it a shot as I know it could really transform so many lives.

11. IndiMarshall

I hope you will mention about Dr Sarno and his achievements in the film. This is the need of the hour. Awareness regarding TMS.

12. This Might Hurt

Yes! Our film actually follows Dr. Howard Schubiner treating patients and will include many of the voices in the mind-body community.

Grateful17 and mike2014 like this.
  13. mike2014

I am sure it will be a fantastic project. I'm very excited about it.

14. This Might Hurt

Hey IrishSceptic - all good questions. The release date is still TBD, as I mentioned above. But we are making great strides currently and want to finish it soon!

For your first question the answer is yes, hopefully! As with any documentary we want to create a balanced argument. But as I mentioned above it's all about funding and access. So we won't know exactly what the final film will be until we've shot it, really. Money will always be a factor in what we can shoot and how we can edit, as well as if we can fly to talk to all the many people we want to talk to. There are so many costs related to making a film like this and we want to make the best film possible with what we've got.

I can't speak for Kent, but I have certainly experienced mind-body symptoms in my life. Nothing that ever became chronic, but I actually had a number of stomach issues when I made my first film in film school. And when I finished it, they were magically gone! It was not until I started working on this film years later that I realized just how many instances of mind body I'd had in my life. I think most of us have mind-body pain, it's just that if it doesn't become chronic, we just might never realize that that's what it is.

Yes, we have a number of medical advisors in the mind body community and outside of it. From medical doctors to the psychiatry field and we're currently looking for journalists to talk to. We like making smart friends and bringing them into our project!

Thanks for all of your questions!

IrishSceptic likes this.
  15. This Might Hurt

I thought I replied to this but it appears to not have been posted, sorry for being a newbie! Yes, our film follows Dr. Howard Schubiner treating patients as well as many other voices in the mind-body community.

16. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

The more people we can have learning about the TMS approach the better. I just joined their mailing list, which features 1-click unsubscribe, and also made a small donation to their movie.

@IndiMarshall, based on their research page, it looks like they are big fans of Dr. Sarno. Their book list consists of two books by Dr. Sarno and one book that he wrote the introduction for and referred to as "important" (the Freedom From Fibromyalgia book -- here's our wiki page on it).

Here's their complete resources page. It even links back to our site, which is definitely appreciated. Every link counts when you're a small 501c3.
    Mind-Body Medicine Healing Resources
    A list of mind-body doctors specializing in chronic pain: TMS Wiki
    Unlearn Your Pain

Videos about Mind-body Medicine & Chronic Pain
    John Sarno & John Sto 20/20 segment
    Howard Schubiner 9 minute lecture on 2 types of pain

Articles about Mind-body Medicine
    Miracles of Mind-body Medicine by Alan Gordon
    A guide to therapeutic writing by Georgina Oldfield

Books about Chronic Pain
    Mindbody Prescription by John Sarno
    Healing Back Pain by John Sarno
    Freedom from Fibromyalgia by Nancy Selfridge​

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  17. This Might Hurt

Forest, thank you so much for the donation! We really appreciate all of your help. We're actually in the process of redesigning our website now, so let me know what I should link to and I will make sure it gets added in the redesign. Thank you so much.

Forest likes this.
  18. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

I thought I was late to the Mindbody TMS party but now I'd say I'm very much an early adopter and possibly an innovator!
    bell-curve.gif

As I learned during University and earlier , new technologies and ideas follow a similar pattern. I remain fairly pessimistic about TMS becoming widespread practice due to inbuilt interests. It will be palmed off as ''we knew this all along'' .
    I have witnessed recently the reaction from many Doctors to the idea that saturated animal fat and high cholesterol is actually not harmful. Low cholesterol is significantly associated with HIGHER all cause mortality. It directly contravenes received wisdom. Veg and seed oils have been shown to be totally disastrous along with franken spreads.
    On the other hand populations with high cholesterol have been shown to have greater health in general. Good doctors have seen the light and are amending practice to suit but many remain dogmatic. Think of how widespread the myth that eggs were unhealthy was and then you realise the extent of the challenge to change the medical world view. I would recommend Malcolm Kendrick's book for further reading as this is not the forum for that debate. Statins are a $100billion wonder drug that are only effective for 1 in 140 people. The science will make this a-OK in ten years from now(it already has but this needs to percolate down) but drug companies will put up a hell of a fight.

Now, picture the widespread adoption of TMS in a similar manner. It seems utterly hopeless! people do not want to be first movers but when more hear of Mindbody techniques and their effectiveness then a certain tipping point will inevitably be reached. good luck to This Might Hurt and other people who are doing great work. God bless the internet!!!

19. JEgol71

JEgol71 New Member

Hey Marion!

My name's Jared, and I went to Chapman with Kent and spoke to him on the phone about my TMS story a few years back. We haven't been in touch since, but I'd love to be a part of the project still, having articulated and refined (read: matured) many of the concepts I'd excerpted to Kent from our phone interview. Please let me know if I can be of any help!

20. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Mike, thanks for posting about "This Might Hurt." I'll see if Netflix has it and watch. It sure sounds like TMS.
    It reminds me of an older film in which William Holden was a killer because he hated his father and a psychiatrist helped him by having him go back into his childhood. I think it was called 'THE DARK PAST."