1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

So many people and books professing to have the answer

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by tgirl, Nov 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

i have read Dr. Sarno's books and I have to say they give hope and make sense. I am following the daily program as well, although I am only on day 3.

My concern is there are so many people and books professing to have the answers. People on this site have mentioned a few of them. How can they all be credible? I feel some are out to make money given some of their statements and beliefs. How do people sort this out? Any thoughts on this?

Lavender and Boston Redsox like this.
  2. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I think it's important to look up people's credentials; what kind of education and background do they have? Are they scientists? Do your research on each person - take a hard look at them before you take their advice. I've come across some sketchy people in my search and I think it's important to go about this with a healthy dose of skepticism.

That being said, there's a lot of sound advice on this topic, it's just a matter of finding the right information. I'm of the opinion that even among the scientists and experts there's always going to be disagreements on different things; you have to find what works for you. The same goes for the forum, we can't all agree on everything and that is OK - this is a complex issue and we all have different paths to healing.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
  3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

I can only say this... KEEP IT SIMPLE! Fewer books mean fewer variations on a topic and less anxiety, worry and fear (you want the work to be a solution, not the cause!). That said, once you have a set of TMS books (1 or 2), then you could supplement these with modalities that aid TMS healing, ie EFT, meditation etc.

Again, there is no right or wrong way to get there, it's a personal journey and one you feel comfortable with.

JanAtheCPA, Boston Redsox and tgirl like this.
  4. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I second that - Keep it Simple. :)

tgirl likes this.
  5. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

The thing is, the entire knowledge is built into Sarnos books. Myself and others feel the need to read other stories because of incredulity that this approach could work and find out how others got better.

Steve Ozanich is widely recommended because of the visceral detail he goes into and seems totally convincing about overcoming this demon.

Either that or he is a really talented conman!

tgirl, Boston Redsox and Simplicity like this.
  6. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Excellent topic and so true.....I feel everbody is a expert and out to make a buck on people who are looking for answers for there pain.

Also its true so much info and basically they all say the same thing. The only book in my opinion is Steve O book. Sarno books are filled with to much medical crap hard to follow and understand . TGPD as it all along with some medical BS

tgirl likes this.
  7. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

You can get many books and videos at your local library - I did that, but then wanted them for myself, then I started buying used copies on Amazon so I could give them away to friends... My favorite resources are on my profile page if you're interested.

As others have said, everyone is different, and each person will find their own way to do the work and achieve their own recovery. I found great hope and inspiration by reading "When The Body Says No" by Dr. Gabor Mate (dang, who did I give my copy to, anyway?) and he is very popular amongst many of our members, but some don't think his message has anything to do with TMS, and still others can't read it because it gives them health anxiety.

Basically, there are a lot of free resources out there - the best practitioners and authors give away a lot of valuable information.

8. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Boston Redsox and tgirl like this.
  9. Boston Redsox

Well said and so true....everybody as a twist or a angle on a cure. Sarno and steve o for me is the blue print ... Sprinkled with Claire Weeks and Emmitt Miller

Tennis Tom, Cap'n Spanky and tgirl like this.
  10. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

I love to read mind body books. I read as many as I can afford to buy. There are always something new I would learn from every book I've read. There sure are some authors who focus on financial gain more than other. You can pretty easily spot those authors. They often come to different forums "promoting" their books or website. Often they will answer a post by saying: "if you read such pages in my book...." . I stay away from books by those author. They care more about money than helping people.
    Like Jane said, many of these Mind body books are available at your local library.

kindle123 and tgirl like this.
  11. Boston Redsox

So true Balto there are a couple in this site that i will not mention. I find it appauling . If u want to help ..help if not then pettle your crap somewhere else

12. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

I’ve been meaning to start a thread entitled, “Where have all the doctors and practitioners gone?” Previously, there was a great amount of information on the forum that could be counted on, information that was backed up by their experience with patients etc. Their posts led to good discussions by participants. However it as seems as though when the monetary gains are achieved by book sales, etc., all is silent, even to the point of some discontinuing their websites and podcasts. Being very familiar with marketing, I notice too that the “lead-ins” to their products are obvious and one often questions if their incentive to help those of us who are in pain are genuine.

I take exception to Dr. Hanscom and I think that the reason he continues to post his excellent blogs are that he has lived through and conquered the suffering that many of us are experiencing and, although a busy surgeon with so little time, he exhibits caring towards those who are going through similar experiences by his contributions. He clearly articulates the trapped feeling of those caught up in the chronic pain cycle. I haven’t had success with the methods yet, but find myself returning to his book continually in hopes of unravelling the deeper angst within me and thus resume a normal life once again.

Eric "Herbie" Watson and tgirl like this.
  13. Boston Redsox

Excellent Labender and so true on all counts

14. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

TMS writers and practitioners have to pay their bills too, the number of people registered at the two TMS sites is miniscule. No one can make a living catering to a website giving their hard earned TMS info away for free. I've bought every TMS book written, as a show of support for their authors, whether I will ever read them or not. Compared to the small fortunes anyone in pain has spent on the other "cures" a TMS book or some skype sessions with a TMS healer is a pittance.

For TMS doctors it's a very small part of their overall practice, they couldn't make a living off it alone, the general population doesn't want to hear any of it. They want a quick fix, an RX or a referral to PT or a surgeon.

SteveO's "GREAT PAIN DECEPTION" is an epic tome, a practical functional guide to psychosomatic dis-ease. I don't know how he got all that psychology into one book and the research he had to do--and his editor cut his original manuscript in half. SteveO hasn't been on any national book tours or Manhattan/Hollyweird talk shows --I don't think he's been out of Dayton, Ohio since he wrote his book.

Support your local TMS authors and practitioners! Buy their books, take a vacation to see them, do a few phone or skype sessions with them. Compared to what's spent on all the stuff that hasn't, doesn't and won't work, it's de minimis.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  15. avik

avik Well known member

TGirl-

Think about how personal TMS is...its tailor-made to your personality; your sub-conscious.
    Therefore, how you experience it and deal with the pain, will directly correlate with who you are.

As a result, even though we all have similarities in the way we discuss, cope and combat TMS, the experience itself is fiercely individual.
    I believe this is why so many people can write about it: each have their own spin on how to deal with it...because they write form their perspective, as it specifically relates to them.

That said, this can be very beneficial to readers like you and I as we can take the little bits and pieces from these authors that speak to us and compound it with our own tried and proven methods.

I think every person who has every experienced TMS could write a book about how they dealt with it. And every one of these books would likely have a golden nugget or two that could benefit everyone else.

Misha, Ellen, tgirl and 3 others like this.
  16. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

YES!

tgirl likes this.
  17. Boston Redsox

He is the exception and in my opinion the best book out there hands down

18. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, tgirl. I know what you mean about there being a lot of books published on MindBody and even on TMS, and lots of therapists. I think if one has the time and money to buy the books, okay. I look upon them like I do cookbooks... if I find one good recipe in a book, it was worth it. I spent a lot of time writing a book on TMS healing, with Eric Watson, GOD DOES NOT WANT YOU TO BE IN PAIN. We've sold about ten copies in two years, but it was worth it to write it if if helped even one person, and replies to my posts says it has.

The two best writers of TMS books are still Dr. Sarno and Steve Ozanich.

19. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I loved reading everyone's posts. Thank you! I guess my main concern is on the days I feel extra lousy I desperately want to run to the nearest emergency room and hopefully this time a doctor will determine what is 'really' wrong with me. Believe me I don't want there to be anything wrong with me, but enough already. :(

20. Boston Redsox

I totally understand where u are coming from