1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 30 Reintegrating old joyful activites

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by JarvisLorry, May 12, 2018.

1. JarvisLorry

JarvisLorry Newcomer

30 seems like a nice number to do an update.

My pain symptoms exist as tension headaches (which I've had for almost 3 years) and shoulder/neck pain (which I've had for 8 months). I also have anxiety/depression, which while still there, has made major improvements. I've been trying to do old activities that have been hindered by my symptoms: yoga, gardening, and reading novels.

Yoga/Gardening - Shoulder/Neck Pain
    Just this past week I was able to do a full-length (i.e. 1 hour) hot yoga class, where I was able to use my upper body strength. The pain was still there and my mobility was limited, but I was able to get through the whole class. So in terms of not letting the pain boss me around, that was a huge accomplishment. I've also been doing a lot of gardening work, involving lots of shoveling and bending over. In fact, I spent much of yesterday shoveling top soil, and even though I felt pain, I tried to make sure I was aware of my thought patterns during the entire day. It's amazing how I never feel like I'm doing a good job.

Reading Novels - Tension Headaches
    The trickier part of all this is the tension headaches. I've had them for longer, and they really create a considerable amount of brain fog. It becomes very hard to focus on things, even if I'm meditating. Reading, or quality reading, has become a huge challenge for me. When I say 'quality', I mean that it's hard to keep focused on stories. A while back I would be able to read semi-dense fiction: nothing crazy, but stories that would have lots of characters and inter-woven plots and constant scene changes. Now it seems I can only really read non-fiction stuff. I seem to read a lot of autobiographies/biographies now because of having on one narrator and a linear plot. So one of my challenges is not letting my brain fog/lack of focus intimidate me. So I've started to read a novel, and am trying to push through (not in a bullheaded way, though) when I'm feeling overwhelmed or confused. I have to reread paragraphs and all that, but I'm making progress. Reading used to be a real joy, but since these headaches came around, I basically gave it up. So I'm attempting to reintegrate it into my life.

I'd be lying if I haven't been discouraged by the pace of my recovery, but I'm trying to stay hopeful and educate myself as much as I can about this stuff. Thanks for the support!

Durga likes this.