1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Possibly not genuine:My Rheumatoid Arthritis is completely cleared up.

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by Katie Scissor, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Katie Scissor

Katie Scissor Newcomer

I suffered from Rheumatoid Arthritis from the age of 17. I'm not 38 and I finally beat this thing with the help of John Sarno. Hooray!!!

I started with the Sarno books and one by Lissa Rankin called Mind over Medicine. The light went on. I realized that the pain got worse when I was stressed. The pain and other symptoms decreased by about 35 percent and I was on my way.

I needed additional help making the ideas stick. I found the Pain Cure Clinic on-line. They have a medical doctor and coaching staff in Boulder but I just did two Skype sessions (1.5 hours each). That was all I needed. The books and the coaching allowed me to unlearn all the wrong information I had been served by the medical establishment. I am happy to be totally pain free.

But I am still a little angry about having been lied to by my doctors for so many years. As David Cassidy said on his death bed a few days ago, his last words - "So much wasted time".

Tennis Tom, Ines, MindBodyPT and 3 others like this.
  2. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Wow, this is an incredible story! Thank you so much for sharing it!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2017
    plum and Time2be like this.
  3. Katie Scissor

Katie Scissor Newcomer

Thank you all for your kind words. Haven't on here in a while because I am still cured. Hopefully will be for a good.

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

WOW--THAT'S FANTASTIC !!! MIRACULOUS.

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

This post is very similar in length and structure to another post by the same "user", but with different symptoms, and spaced several months apart (in August this one had back pain, now it's RA). It's also very similar in length and structure to three other posts by two other users (one was deleted by moderators). And every single one of these five (so far) posts is pushing the pain cure clinic.

These were initially Reported by an alert member (thank you!). All members are encouraged to use the Report link for any dubious activity.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Katya, Ellen, plum and 2 others like this.
  6. JoeHealingTms

JoeHealingTms Peer Supporter

Worst thing is that this could put a false hope on people who really are suffering from TMS and expect a cure in 2 sessions. Note how all of them are new members and the structure of the messages is basically the same. This is so wrong, because that clinic surely know the stages and pain of TMS and decides to use it for false advertising. Maybe one of the administrators should engage directly with this clinic and warn them that false advertising on this community could get them sued. A little "coaching " might help some people, but by experience most of us know that it takes more than that.

plum, Gigalos and JanAtheCPA like this.
  7. Ewok

Ewok Peer Supporter

Hi @JanAtheCPA ,

Thank you for all the work you do moderating this forum :) Glad to see a brave person reported these posts.

I'm just being nosey here, but I'm curious if the Pain-Cure Clinic was contacted for their response to these pretty suspect postings and if they had a response? I think it damages the confidence of people new to TMS to come to forum and see things like this happening.

plum and Tennis Tom like this.
  8. Tennis Tom

I'm a bit confused here, I looked up the Pain-Cure Clinic, they say they treat pain through TMS methods as espoused by Dr. Sarno--how is getting the word out on what they are doing a bad thing ??? Isn't that what we've been trying to do here, and the mission of this web-site? They appear to be TMS practitioners, shouldn't they be added to the TMS PRACTITIONERS LIST? So, they've posted a few testimonials that sound similar--after all these years I bet my posts all sound alike too--TMS is not rocket science--the theory is simple--having the mind accept it is the hard part for some--or maybe many.

Here's their website, sounds like pure TMS Dr. Sarno to me, you decide :
    http://paincureclinic.us/ (Pain Cure Clinic - We Don't Manage Pain)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  9. Tennis Tom

I came across this previous thread here that is laudatory, sounds like they are doing the work we've all been hoping for, to make Dr. Sarno's work a part of mainstream medicine--where's the problem?

Doing a little further research, I came across some other pain treatment centers that sound similar but are oriental medicine or accupuncture practices, there may lie some confusion, the one in Boulder, CO practices TMS according to their website.

10. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't care if they practice TMS or sell snake oil; these are fake testimonials secretly posted by commercial parties with the intent of pushing their product or service. By definition such information is damaging to what we are trying to achieve here. How can people feel safe on this forum or gain confidence in the TMS theory when we allow commercial parties to fish for patients like this? I personally feel that businesses that apply this method are low in moral anyway, but there is little we can do about it and at least most of the times they let you know that they are commercially involved.

I will put 'Katie Scissor' and 'Georgia Jed' on my personal black list. Thank you to the member who discovered and reported it!

As for the paincureclinic... based on the information that I have now, I can only advise against contacting them. As Ewok already mentioned, they are free to respond here and make me and other members change their opinion to a more positive one.

plum and JanAtheCPA like this.
  11. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

Reminded me of those fake Amazon review. They maybe pro Sarno but it is still fishy trying to get customers this way. Who know if you contact them and they try to get you to sign up for some expensive program with minimal result, or result that you can get somewhere else for much cheaper (or free)

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  12. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

We have a saying in Dutch that goes like this: Trust arrives on foot and leaves on horse back.

Ewok, plum and JanAtheCPA like this.
  13. JanAtheCPA

Good question, Ewok. Anytime a post is deleted or edited, the member receives an alert with a reason for the action. In another case, one of these pcc posters received a warning with the ability to respond directly via PM. There has been no response.

Ellen, Ewok and plum like this.
  14. Tennis Tom

Well, I will call them up and invite them to address the issues being brought up--Dr. Sarno never posted at the TMS boards--he probably would have been banned for false advertising. Have the mods here contacted them to ascertain if they are doing the Good Doctor's work? There prices are the same as other TMS practitioner's charge. I've seen TMS authors receive the same "welcome" at the boards announcing their new TMS books and labeled "book mongers" and greedy capitalists for having the temerity for coming to a TMS board to announce their TMS book. I thought the point of these TMS forums was to spread the word of Dr. Sarno and not throw stones at TMS practitioners and patients who have posted their successes. I've worked with TMS physicians and therapists and the Pain-Cure Clinic in Boulder, CO.'s site appears to be conveying the same message and pricing as those I've worked with. I will call them, and invite them here to reply.

15. Ewok

Ewok Peer Supporter

Hi @Tennis Tom

The issue here is that they seem to be manufacturing multiple success stories to drum up business. Yes, it's a TMS method but these stories are pretty obviously all written by one person which is pretty dodgy and dishonest (one person with several profiles and changing symptoms depending on when they post). If they are genuinely good at what they do, and can help people, why would they need to do that? That's dishonest and manipulative behaviour and makes you wonder what else they are being untruthful about. Did they even have TMS themselves or are they just people who have seen an opening to sell desperate people very expensive Skype consultations. I'm all for your giving them a call. Ask them to make a post here. Maybe ask them to post their own personal success stories.

Ellen and plum like this.
  16. Tennis Tom

I just left them a message and will report back on their answer. Here's a page from their web-site--they sure sound like they are a TMS clinic :

************************************************************************************
    (large amount of web page material and multiple links have been deleted by moderator - Forest has a technical explanation for why multiple outside hyperlinks are bad for our site, but it's beyond my pay grade to understand or be able to re-explain... - to see PCC's web site, just google them - they are the ones in Boulder, CO)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2017
  17. Tennis Tom

I don't see anything wrong with a business asking satisfied customers to post testimonials on the internet. They may have been given some guide lines with what to say, but that doesn't mean what they are saying is not true. I don't see anything wrong with that either. I've said the same thing over and over again here thousands of times--after a while there are just so many ways you can say something. There are a lot of allegations being made about this clinic which are unverified and based on conjecture. I left them a message and will invite them to participate here.

18. JanAtheCPA

This hits the nail on the head

For example, the OP of this thread had a miraculous cure from back pain in August, then she had the same miraculous cure in November from RA. That's the extent of her involvement on our forum. It's simply not authentic, and there was another one who recovered from, I think, Fibro one month, and then recovered from back pain a few months later,

Just do a keyword search on pain cure clinic, print the threads that mention it, and compare them side-by-side. I recall at least one member who asked the poster to describe the pcc coaching method and received no response.

Then compare them to the posts that mention, for a great example, the Curable app, which received a bit of skepticism at first, but the developers responded appropriately, and the members who had tried it provided individual unscripted responses. They were also actual active members - unlike the pcc pushers who seem to show up just to post their scripted testimonials - but a review of their content reveals that they mostly don't otherwise participate in our community.

Ellen and plum like this.
  19. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

Hi Jan,
    That was me. I was suspicious from the beginning, when the poster said they were cured of RA. I recall reading in one of Dr Sarno's books that RA was not considered TMS, and it was a legitimate concern. The post struck me as insincere. Also, you are right. They never replied to my questions, which also raised my suspicions. Usually, I am optimistic and believe the best of intentions in people/posters, but in this case, it comes across as a scam. Hope I am wrong.

Ellen, plum and JanAtheCPA like this.
  20. Timbercat

Timbercat Well known member

I will be very interested to know what their response is. I went thru the pain cure clinic before I discovered this forum. Their approach is if u do what they tell u and go thru the two coaching sessions, u will get better in about 90 days. I didn't get better and spent $350.00 for those 2 sessions. They develop an aggressive action plan and for me it was too expensive. Very interested to see if they respond.

plum and JanAtheCPA like this.