1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alan G. My three day experience with TMJ

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Alan Gordon LCSW, Aug 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

This past week was particularly stressful for a number of reasons.

Then on Tuesday evening, I was at home watching TV, when I yawned. I felt a pop in my right jaw. I'm pretty sure that had never happened before.

On Wednesday, every time I opened my mouth, every time I spoke, every time I chewed a bite of food, there was this audible cracking/grinding sound coming from my right jaw. No pain, but clearly there was something going on. It sounded like a machine that was on the fritz.

I was all set to make an appointment with my dentist next week to see what was going on, when suddenly, spontaneously, the cracking/grinding sound stopped.

TMS is amazing. All hail the brain.

AG

IceBergs, donavanf, Fabi and 8 others like this.
  2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

It is indeed amazing, I've experienced it too. But have shook it off. I sometimes suffer the mildest form when the weather becomes colder.

kevinmichael likes this.
  3. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Its the little moments like this that have reinforced my faith in the diagnosis. There is no other explanation

IceBergs and donavanf like this.
  4. Grateful17

Grateful17 Well known member

Thats amazing Alan. I used to get that exact sound in my upper neck when stressed. That cracking/grinding sound is the best way to describe it. Comes and goes on it's own. after reading your post, helps me to know that is my good ole TMS at work.
    Of course when the brain throws in the "SOUND EFFECTS", that can make it seem even more structural. But we know better. HA

donavanf, North Star and Tennis Tom like this.
  5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

TMS "SOUND EFFECTS", that's a good one G-17!

Grateful17 likes this.
  6. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I am also a weather suffer when the barometer falls i am in pain head to toe what a trigger response.

I keep telling my brain a change in weather can not cause this nerve pain in my fee hands face all over . The more i tell myself The more it flares incredible

mike2014 likes this.
  7. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

TMJ; too much jaw. Cmon Alan, tell us what was stressing about this week? We need a good story once in awhile.

All hail the brain! And Caesar of course.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Dexy, North Star and Boston Redsox like this.
  8. Grateful17

Grateful17 Well known member

LOVE the new profile picture Steve. Is that Costner next to you??????? WOW

Tennis Tom likes this.
  9. Steve Ozanich

No, that's Kevin Costner next to me, lol. I was surprised at how big he is. With cowboy boots he's around 6' 2" or so. He only looks about 4 inches tall on TV.

10. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

"All hail the brain"....that cracked me up, Alan. :joyful:

So, SteveO, are you and Costner BFFs or something? Inquiring minds want to know.

Markus and mike2014 like this.
  11. Steve Ozanich

For inquiring minds only, all others please dismiss.

Kevin did a benefit concert with his country rock band Modern West for a good friend of mine who was experiencing cancer (after he lost his restaurant, it was no doubt severe TMS). My friend is fine now that he has opened a new restaurant, and happy with purpose once again.

I had a conversation with Kevin that will go down in history. I said, "Hi Kevin, how you doing?" And he said, "Not bad man, how you doing?" I'm sure he's still talking about it with all his friends. I stood next to him to get a snapshot and he put his hand on my back so I put my hand on his (hey he started it!). Then I realized how tall he is, and wide across. I'm 5' 10" and have lifted weights most of my life, but he's a big star (pun intended)

My best friend reminded me that I've recently been in contact with five Oscar winners. He said "Steve you're now the pain guru to the stars!" That would be a cool title but I can't mention the others due to privacy. Kevin wasn't doing a consult and he did the photos so it's open game.

Costner did relay a good story. He said that when he decided to go into acting that his father was upset because he had a good job at the time. His dad said, "Don't ruin this good job with some foolish whim!" Then Kevin decided to go into directing and his dad said, "Don't ruin this acting thing by doing something foolish!" Many Oscars and hundreds of millions of dollars later Kevin decided to start a musical band. So he said, "I didn't even bother telling my dad that I was starting a band."

He said the lesson here is that it's often the ones closest to us that hold us back in life because they love us and don't want to see us hurt. I didn't want to tell Kevin that's it's also often projection. They cast their sense of inferiority and low self esteem on us. They don't think they can do it so they think we can't do it. But I didn't want to start debating him because I wanted to talk about Tin Cup, one of my favorite movies... and Rene Russo of course! Damn that Dan Gilroy.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I hope the Northern Star is doing as well as the Hollywood Star

SO

Dexy, Fabi, North Star and 3 others like this.
  12. Steve Ozanich

I should also apologize to Alan for altering his great thread. I still want to hear what's on his plate and generating stress. Inquiring minds want to know what causes teeth to grind in LA. I know what does in Ohio.

13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Steve. Kevin Costner is one of my favorites. He is a perfect example of someone who did not give up. His scene in an early movie was cut out but he kept hope alive. He soon got a call that cast him as Han Solo in "Star Wars," and now is one of the top and richest actors. Who knows what tomorrow brings? It also brought him "Dances with Wolves," one of my favorite westerns.

I solve the problem of if my teeth grind by taking out my upper plate. No more clackety-clack.

As for our relatives not appreciating our successes, I've had more than 40 books published but almost no one in the family has read any of them. I've learned that they love me for myself, not for my writing. That really means more to me.

Dexy, Fabi and North Star like this.
  14. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Love the story, Steve! That conversation was epic, for sure. And as usual, you brought more food for thought on that projection thing. So very true.

And speaking of TMJ - that was one of my first severe TMS symptoms back when I was a wee young adult lass. Made for a fun party trick when I could pop and crack my jaw. Not so much fun for blinding headaches.

And btw, Steve, the Northern Star is doing well. Wouldn't trade it for a Hollywood Star any time soon. (Well, maybe if it was next to Costner's.)

15. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

Really? I as told to hold muy lower jaw when yawning! It hurts so much, the noises wake me up at night. This could be a question to Ask a therapist section, my MRI shows a hockey stick like condile, a disc that is not between bones when I close my mouth, and very thin. That was in 2012. I will have a new scan in a week. I was readin g if Tms can days swelling, my face swells, left side, plus the lower part of my skull and I get a stiff neck and shoulder.
    Many years ago I used to play with the popping sound. Now I avoid it

16. kitkatie124

kitkatie124 New Member

I enjoy reading this post. I have tmj everytime I open my mouth it cracks I don't really care about it and it's still here. Sometimes it makes my jaw teeth and ears hurt I try to just ignore it. :p I get headaches on that side of my head though and that is what is the most annoying!

Boston Redsox likes this.
  17. Dexy

Dexy Peer Supporter

This post was informative and made me LOL, so thanks all. I agree with SteveO (LOVED your book, SteveO!), we want to know what gets Alan all stressed. Fill us in, my day at home with my kiddos is pretty tame today, I need a cheap thrill

18. donavanf

donavanf Well known member

My current TMS began as a migraine, moved to TMJ and has settled in my shoulder. I had a CT scan, they found nothing wrong in my brain (despite a short scare at some anomalies that proved to be nothing) then it moved to TMJ, which lasted two months till I could finally get afford to see a TMJ dentist, he gave me a bite guard and within a few weeks, the pain moved to my neck. I saw a chiropractor, who looked at my x-rays and told me it was all coming from my neck, four months later it had moved to between my shoulder blades, and I saw a PT who told me it was "100% posture". Despite CONSTANT postural corrections, my upper back pain got worse and worse, to the point I had to be on daily muscle relaxants and an anti-anxiety medicine. Currently, I am under Dr. Schechter's care, off the muscle relaxants totally, about to start weaning down the anti-anxiety meds VERY slowly. Still hurting daily in my right shoulder, the very place I earn my living. I'm a photographer. What a surprise! TMS is a SNEAKY and TRICKY bastard. Do not believe it. But it is also a warning bell, and that is something I am just coming to terms with. The PAIN is the smoke. The FIRE is the fact that we have deeply repressed massive amounts of rage and fear, and are trying to be superhuman, or in this case, SUPEREGO.

19. donavanf

donavanf Well known member

My neck and shoulders pop CONSTANTLY. I "pop" them and stretch and crack them all kinds of ways and think it helps. It doesn't. It just re-enforces the syndrome.

Grateful17 and Fabi like this.
  20. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

I get popping sounds in my fingers, like an x ray, but it makes a noise, when l touch any part that aches. I am focusing now on not trying to find the tension with my hands, l don't need to know.