1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Migraines caused by TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jullemire, Feb 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jullemire

jullemire Peer Supporter

Hello all!
    I am not new to TMS as I have successfully healed myself more than 5 years ago of debilitating chronic neck pains. However I started having migraines (at first every 6-7 months to now once or twice a week!) since march 2015. Silly me only realized (or fully accepted) this week that they were bought on by TMS. My problem is this: In order to get rid of my migraines completely do I have to stop taking migraine medication if I have one? Would taking the medication tell my brain that I do not believe this is TMS? What do I do if I have a migraine? Let it go on and bear the pain while it lasts?
    Julie

Saffron likes this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I got rid of the severe migraines I had for my entire life using the TMS approach. While I was working the program I continued to take migraine medication if I had a migraine. I delayed taking the medication a little longer than I used to to allow me time to try some TMS techniques during the very early warning signs that a migraine was coming on. However, if I wasn't successful in getting rid of the migraine this way, I took medication. There is no benefit in suffering through the pain in my opinion. Eventually the TMS techniques worked every time during the early warning signs. Then I stopped even getting those. I have been migraine free for several years now.

Wishing you peace and a migraine-free life.......you can do it.

Saffron, Lizzy, Ines and 2 others like this.
  3. jullemire

jullemire Peer Supporter

Ellen, thank you so much for your message! You have no idea how much hope you have given me. I know the TMS approach works because it has worked for me before but I felt like getting rid of migraines would be different because of the medication aspect. I will do as you say, that is taking the migraine medication if the TMS techniques don't work in the beginning.

Did you do something specific or did you just talk to your brain? Would you mind letting me know what you did to see if my approach is similar?
    Thank you!!

Saffron likes this.
  4. Ellen

Have you read my Success Story? You can find it on my profile page or in the Success Stories sub-forum. It outlines all the things I did for migraine and fibromyalgia.

Saffron and Ines like this.
  5. jullemire

jullemire Peer Supporter

No I haven't but I'm going to right now! Thanks

6. Saffron

Saffron Peer Supporter

I have almost daily migraines they only come at night whilst I sleep.
    I am sure they are TMS. But I just can't seem to get anywhere.
    Help please.

7. Ellen

I used to get them while sleeping sometimes also. All are gone now. My advice is to follow a structured program (like the free SEP or Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain) spending about an hour a day working on TMS. This should work in alleviating the migraines in time. Don't rush it or it just creates more tension. Be patient and persistent. Sometimes working with a TMS therapist is helpful, though I did it on my own.

Saffron likes this.
  8. Saffron

Saffron Peer Supporter

I do thank you. Sadly I have tried those. And others. Spoken with Georgie.
    But years have gone by. And they are worse.

9. lauraseago

lauraseago Peer Supporter

@jullemire - I also recovered from migraine using the TMS approach.

Since then, migraine has consistently been the #1 or #2 condition that people use our app (Curable) for, and I tend to see some of the most dramatic recoveries from migraine folks. I did an in-depth interview with one of the most extreme cases I've ever witnessed, who is now completely migraine free. There's also an incredibly moving article on TechCrunch written by this woman's husband. You can find that here.

I think you'll find that you relate to the woman in the interview... like you, she was already familiar with TMS and used it in the past to cure other pains. However, it wasn't until much later that she realized it could help with migraine, too.

I would highly recommend listening to recovery stories like this to give you hope and see that there are several different options for how to do it. You can ween off medication, you can use it in emergencies, you can stop it cold turkey.... I have seen people get better all of those ways.

Good luck!

Ellen and Saffron like this.
  10. jullemire

jullemire Peer Supporter

Thank you for your message. I am going to view the links you shared right now!

lauraseago and Saffron like this.