1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

IBS: Worth going down the H Pylori or Candida route?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by avik, Aug 20, 2017.

1. avik

avik Well known member

I've used TMS practices to help heal virtually all of my chronic ills but this IBS thing has got me stumped.

No matter what I do, I am still plagued by constant indigestion, gas and general discomfort.

I have a lot of smart people around me telling me I should be checked for HP or Candida, as I was on an extended amount of antibiotics years ago, which directly preceded this issue.

Wondering what peoples thoughts are on this, if there is any legitimacy for being treated for HP or candida and if anyone has had any lasting success treating IBS as a TMS equivalent.

IBS is the one TMS equivalent that i have had virtually no success with...

2. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

In my experience, conventional medical doctors don't acknowledge candida overgrowth and other health care practitioners will sell you some herbal remedies that may or may not help. In my case, they made me sicker. But that's just me.

I saw a naturopathic doctor last year, who did bloodwork on me. I did have some kind of bacterial overgrowth running rampant and I was successfully treated for that, although I now suspect that the underlying cause was TMS.

Diet is important in eliminating bacterial or fungal overgrowths. You probably know this already, but you are supposed to cut out sugars, alcohols, simple carbs as they provide the perfect environment for the crud to thrive in.

My distinctly non-expert opinion is that one can have actual problems that can actually be treated with actual medicines but if the underlying cause is TMS, you will have something else crop up as a substitute, or the problem you treated will resurface.

Good luck!

Lily Rose and plum like this.
  3. Celayne

I should add that from what I've seen/read/experienced, TMS can create illnesses may that need to be treated medically. It's up to each person to decide which route to take in treatment. IBS is awful!

4. avik

avik Well known member

Wise words Cricket.

I feel that many of my problems with TMS are where TMS "latches on" to a non-psychosomatic issue, and just "extends its stay".

I do believe there is something off with my gut which is why I will be doing a full set of bloods with a Naturopath here in NY.

That said, I have no doubt that TMS has taken what may be a small underlying issue and turned it "chronic".

5. Celayne

I feel that many of my problems with TMS are where TMS "latches on" to a non-psychosomatic issue, and just "extends its stay".

So true for many of us. As I read in The Great Pain Deception and Dr. Sarno's books, TMS can mess with your immune system, creating either a propensity for infection if it is deficient, or allergies if it is on alert all the time. So it's not surprising that you have something off with your gut.

I hope you get the answers you need for a complete recovery!

6. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Lily Rose likes this.
  7. Celayne

8. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't know if it is a method of last resort. Maybe it is because people are disgusted by the idea and because it is relatively new, while in fact the only thing you do is introduce good bacteria from someone else to your intestinal tract. I would put it third on my list, just under 'TMS-approach' and 'improve my diet'.

Celayne likes this.
  9. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey avik,

In my early 20's I suffered terribly with thrush which was attributed to Candida. Back then there was only the modification of diet available and I followed this path for 7 years. It didn't eradicate my problem but enabled me to control it. I only actually healed when I began to take probiotics. These days we know so much more about the microbiome, the relationship between the gut and our brain, and the integrity and necessity of possessing a healthy community of microflora in our digestive system.

Antibiotics (the clue is in the anti part of the word) indescriminantly destroy gut bacteria. This means if we take antibiotics we should follow them up with a course of probiotics to replenish what we've lost.

Ideally we ought get our friendly bacteria from fermented foods like kefir and sauerkraut but they are demanding to culture ourselves so many people prefer to take tablets.

I was also diagnosed with IBS as a teenager so am able to compare it with Candida. In my experience they are not the same. IBS definitely has an emotional/psychological root and I view it as a TMS equivalent. Candida seems to be a physical consequence of civilised living (such as poor diet, antibiotics etc). I'm quite sure they do cross over and can co-exist though.

My advice is to care for both body and mind rather than wrestle with either/or.

Ellen, Lily Rose and Gigalos like this.
  10. Kalo

Kalo Well known member

Avik, CANDIDA is a BLACK HOLE..

First off, I have WHITE TONGUE which is associated with CANDIDA & PARAISTES in Naturopathic world.

The Naturopathic doctor (QUACKS) diagnose me with CANDIDA and PARASITES...And, tried to give me a TOXIC mix of herbs to kill parasites and then Candida!

I am glad I didn't take it cause I have read on the internet what these toxic herbs do to the system.

Candida, can affect a person with a COMPRISE immune system such as AIDS, and patients who are being treated for cancer.

However, people who have a normal immune system do not get it. The Naturo tried to tell me I had it in my blood...

He is dead wrong cause if I did, as my MD told me, I would be dead. Again, it can not enter the blood stream on a normal immune system.

Please, I beg of you not to go down the Candida road and if I were you I would concentrate on Mindbody TMS healing.

As for me I finally went to an ENT who swabbed my tongue, and my test came back Negative for Fungal infection. I was told not to worry about it anymore.

I know this, my white tongue came on during HIGH STRESS....

Kalo

Kalo

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  11. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

This.

I have had IBS for over 30 years. In the last couple years, I have found management through what I eat and TMS. Now my diet is very simple, and involves a lot of Greek yogurt and fruit and rice and some vegetables, nuts (including almond milk), yeast, a vegetarian-appropriate cheese (pepperjack!) and air-popped popcorn ;). (I have not eaten meat in 13 years). I am very liberal with spices (especially cayenne and curry and cumin) and herbs. I rarely get any symptoms now and it is blissful!

The medical industry does not seem equipped to deal with anything chronic, so you will likely need to do some extensive experimenting with both your food consumption and your emotions.

You WILL succeed at this ... it is just a matter of time :)

.... with Love and Gratitude ^_^

Coffeeplease and plum like this.
  12. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

I agree with Lily Rose and I too have found IBS management from TMS and what I eat. I developed debilitating chronic pain and IBS almost 4 years ago, both which are mostly gone now. I started taking very good probiotics soon after developing the ibs. It was through learning and practicing the tms tools that I was able to have a normal digestive system again, which isn't surprising because ibs has a huge psychological component. I wanted to not always take the probiotics because they are expensive. Although I thought I was eating a good diet, about a month ago I decided to go on a high plant based diet and I was able to stop taking the probiotics a week ago. I'm not a vegetarian, but I cut way back on the animal products I consume as well as no processed food and very little food with sugar. A few nights ago I watched Michael Pollen's documentary "In Defense of Food". In it he talks about the microbiome in our guts that is influenced by what we eat. As Pollen says, "Eat real food, not too much, mostly plant based."
    This is a TMS site and I think TMS is a huge part of controlling IBS, but another great expression concerning what we eat is, "garbage in, garbage out".

Coffeeplease, plum and Lily Rose like this.
  13. kkcarlton

kkcarlton Peer Supporter

Oh thank you so much for this reply. I was just looking at my white tongue this morning. I have had it for so long I don't even remember when it started but I have tried anti-fungal medications, anti-fungal herbs, anti-parasitics, cleanses, fasting, no sugar, no carbs, I even ate zero carb for 9 months. Nothing has gotten rid of it. My digestion is actually really good (was healed of a lot of stuff last year) right now, and I still eat clean, very little sugar, alcohol, or even grains, etc., and I do take a probiotic and colostrum daily, but so far the white tongue remains. I never thought about getting my tongue swabbed.

Kristina

14. Lou

Lou New Member

One of the best natural cures for Candida is Oil of Oregano. (It cures a huge number of infections.) I was told this by a Naturopathic Doctor who I visited a few years ago for a bladder/UT infection. I didn't want to take the medicine the doctor prescribed because antibiotics always cause a Yeast infection in me. The naturopath said the Oil of Oregano would cure the infection and prevent me getting (or help get rid of ) the Candida (if I already had it). She was right. Look it up on the internet for how much to take and make sure you get very good quality oil. It really works. Hope this helps.

15. michael91

michael91 New Member

A read somewhere that a human can eat too many fibres which cause these symptoms (the cecum - for fibre fermentation - is redundant/small in comparison with rabbits for example). Maybe this helps. Also olive oils may be beneficial. Eat just enough fibres (to fight auto-immune reponses in the intestined) and add more good fats to you meals, would be my advise.

16. Kozas

Kozas Well known member

Candida is naturopaths scam. If you have real candida overgrowth it means you should be in hospital, as your life is in danger. Usually people with comprimesed immune system(chemotherapy, AIDS) are affected by candida overgrowth. Of course after antibiotics often balance of gut flora is pretty much destroyed, and it's not good - but still it's not candida overgrowth.
    White tongue CAN actually indicate candidate growth, but sometimes it's just condition of your tongue. If you have white tongue since many years, and white spots doesn't multiply fast, and they don't appear on your mouth etc. it's not candida. Remember - candida is actually living organism, quickly multiplying so if you have immune defects it will spread on your tongue like a wildfire. But if you have white spots on your tongue for many years, and they don't move it's called geographic tongue. It looks bad, but usually it's just that - looking bad, nothing more, nothing less.

17. keenie82

keenie82 Peer Supporter

I can relate, as I too have the white coating on my tongue. Reading about it, there are different reasons for it. Some just simply being a dry mouth. I wouldn't go down the Candida route if I were you. Just a rabbit hole.

18. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I got to chat with the PhD head of the H. Pylori studies at Vanderbilt. My son was in a science program there. I got to look through a PET scope and look at live HP Nuclei... it was fun.
    Than I asked him point blank. "If 99% of the third world has H. Pylori and 50% of the western world , how can it possibly have any negative consequence. According to all rules of science, if there is ANY exception to the rule you have to get a new rule"..... he gave me the most vague and stammering explanation I have ever heard. What do I know anyways? I am just a dumb construction worker.

But I guess they need their funding. H. Pylori is BS.

I broke out with swollen saliva glands once. It was called candida, scared the crap out of me, and my hippie friend told me I needed more acid in my diet. I ate a bunch of taco bell taco sauce for two days and it was gone.

peace