1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Alan G. How does TMS cause tightness?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by walllc643, Jan 30, 2015.

1. jen s

jen s New Member

Alan, that answer was SO interesting! The brain is causing the pain AND causing muscle tension to happen, which is how it feels so real, as there is real tension. One thing that you said authentic indifference -- I have SUCH a hard time with this. I can't seem to be curious or indifferent about the pain. I genuinely don't want the pain at all -- I hate it , which I guess from what you are saying is feeding the pain. How do you come to this indifference? That is the hard part for me! It's like saying to be indifferent to being kicked in the shin --- that will never happen, as I'll always prefer NOT to be kicked in the shin -- every time. I have struggled for years to be the "curious observer" as I really can't find indifference. Would telling myself "I don't like it (the pain) but I accept that it's here right now and know that it's TMS and will eventually be gone"? Is that effective? So hard to be indifferent.

map76 likes this.
  2. thmakled

thmakled New Member

I too struggle with ignoring the pain and cultivating authentic indifference because damn it, sometimes it really hurts and I'm tired of hurting! The cognitive battle can be exhausting, and ignoring tends to feel the same as challenging - the pain is so present that trying to ignore it just makes me think about it more. Yeesh.

Cheryl likes this.
  3. Gojab

Gojab Peer Supporter

I just came across this thread and its likely no one is following it since its been so long. Nevertheless. I can add that 80% of my pain I think has been due to muscle tightness/spasm. Even before I read this thread in my mind I had reconciled that "mile oxygen deprivation" from TMS and muscle tightness were very close cousins. I could literally feel that some muscles, likely in my core, were not even there while some muscles in my back were working overtime. It even got to the point that my stomach was bulging out like crazy. I had no idea why.

I'm happy to report that I am 4 weeks out on my program, and my muscles have definitely relaxed. There is still some tightness but I am at a 1 pain level vs 7-9 that I have been for the past 2 years. My stomach is started to return back to normal.

BloodMoon likes this.
  4. Zuz

Zuz Peer Supporter

Waaaa I also have this stomach bulging sometimes up so I can hardly breath. At least for the last months I do not panic about it anymore being prettyvsure its TMS!
    I am so looking into finding a therapist that can virtually help my twenty year back pain, I have so bad quality of life I am so looking forward getting better
    Very enouraging to read you, thank you

5. Laleah Shoo Shoo

Laleah Shoo Shoo Peer Supporter

6. Laleah Shoo Shoo

7. Laleah Shoo Shoo

Hello everyone,

After several years of living without pain ~ having moved through 3 years of debilitating pain via educating myself through Dr. Sarno, Ozanich and this forum....
    I am now in relentless excrutiating pain, severe sizzling tingling down the leg, shocking pain back of knee, crapped squeezed calf and half numb foot. I had a smaller version
    of this for one year,12 weeks ago i awakened with these sensations a hundred times more intense. Haven't been able to sleep much, walk teeny steps, haven't been able to go outdoors,
    there truly isn't one position i find respite in. After finally getting to the ER last week (an utterly appalling experience, which i won't go into, as it is difficult to type standing up....
    so to the point ~ I have decided absolutely this is TMS....and doing all i know to unravel all that has such a grip on me....listening to your audio book, Alan Gordon..practicing somatic experiencing which i know well (Peter A. Levine) ...the list is long...ihave so much at my disposal, many internal resources and so on....And i find it impossible to believe that i should SIT on this
    intractable nerve pain! Even though coming from the brain. I am not being as articulate as i would like to be....too painful to type standing up. So i will leave this half-baked note...
    Doing all i possibly can to stop feeding the brain that is in error. It's one long day that goes on and on, while i continue to practice and surrender into Divine guidance.
    Love and the best to you all xoxoxox

8. Laleah Shoo Shoo

There is much i have left out, due to typing difficulty with pain....which would flesh this out more and explain why i feel this happened....and why i wonder at how long
    i can go on and on this way. I am from Montreal, Quebec and have been 'stranded' in Victoria, B.C. (long story) wanting very much to leave. I know not a soul here...all friends and family back home.
    And so i am with this on my own, which isn't a good thing as we are 'wired for connection' and need each other in this life. I have always been surrounded with many....so being in isolation with all of this...ai yai yai! okay, more another time