1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Gym vs group classes

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Bonibao, Oct 23, 2022.

?

Gym vs BJJ (see post for context)

1. Gym

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bjj

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bonibao

Bonibao Newcomer

Thinking of either joining a gym or picking up a contact sport classes (Brazilian jiu-jitsu BJJ)).

I have TMS in the form of migraines and I find this was due to anger and also stress with Covid being a large contributor. My migraines have almost all reduced but whenever I am stressed they will return but not last nearly as long as previously.

If I do intense exercise I am likely to get a headache (think interval training or HIIT) I am likely to get a migraine during the workout and also after, with the length of time dependant on the intensity and duration.

I was thinking of doing gym as I could pace myself in the workout. Which would probably involve a combination of weights and cardio as compared to BJJ which is a class and has a set pace but there is more interaction with interaction with others and probably more enjoyable.

What's everyone's thoughts on which would be a better option for me?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

If you have TMS, this question is irrelevant, because the cause of your migraines is emotional. Keep exercising in whatever way brings you the most satisfaction, and start doing our free Structured Educational Program to learn about TMS.

Think psychologically, not physically.

TG957 likes this.
  3. Bonibao

Bonibao Newcomer

Thank you. I have already completed the program

4. Bonibao

Bonibao Newcomer

Reposting what Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) posted on another forum:

Steve Ozanich writes in THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION that playing golf despite the pain it gave him helped, over time, to heal him, together with believing 100 percent that his pain was caused by repressed anger.

Here is some good TMS advice on physical activity and exercise...

Many people have been asking when to resume physical activity. It can be different for different people, and they may fear that activity can cause more pain. The following not only may be of interest to and apply to you, but it is good for everyone to read who wonders about when to resume physical activity and exercise:

Dr. Sarno says in his TMS book, THE MINDBODY PRESCRIPTION, "If the pain disappears but you are still fearful of physical activity, recurrent pain, injury and progressive degeneration of spinal elements, the battle has not yet been won. The pain will return unless you overcome those fears. So patients are advised to resume normal, unrestricted physical activity once the pain is gone, or nearly so, and when they feel confidence in the (TMS) diagnosis.

Don't worry if you exercise too soon and experience some pain. You cannot hurt yourself. Continuing pain with activity means the brain is still in the process of changing its programming (from thinking structural to thinking emotional causing the pain. Stay secure in the knowledge that you will prevail. This has proven to be the case for thousands of patients."

Dr. Scott Brady agrees, in his TMS book, PAIN FREE FOR LIFE, saying "Confidence is huge in the process of (TMS) recovery, and your subconscious knows it. So when you begin to engage in those activities and exercises you once did, you can expect the subconscious to turn up your symptoms in a last-ditch effort to keep you away from the dangerous emotions you've started to explore... emotions that the subconscious is trying so hard to protect. Be ready to fight with your subconscious mind!"

5. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

@JanAtheCPA is smack on. If you have not yet recognized their TRUE trigger, and are still thinking they are external, then you might want to review the SEP.
    You’ve read the stuff, but has it really become your go-to understanding for symptoms. This is the “doubt” Sarno and many others discuss.

6. Bonibao

Bonibao Newcomer

It's not doubt or needing to understand my true triggers. It's pain management. I know exercise will eventually cause migraines and the more intense/stressful the exercise the more painful the migraine. I want to be able to exercise in a way to build up my pain tolerance and not over do it .

7. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

You may not be in the right place. On this forum, we do the emotional work associated with mindbody conditions. We don't discuss pain management.

8. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Ditto!