1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Exercise core

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by 444, Jun 29, 2021.

Tags:
  1. 444

444 Peer Supporter

Hello everyone, I listen to an interesting podcast from Curable. Curable seems to have two podcasts, one were Alan Gordon host and another called “Like Mind Like Body”. Anyway, episode from 8-28-18 from the LMLB the host interviews an investigative journalist Cathryn Ramin who wrote a book “Crooked” about her 6 yr investigation into the back industry. I have the book on order and will update after I read it. She seems to have concluded the realities of TMS, but from her website also believes in strengthening the core muscles. Her website has a tab for Dr Stuart McGill a biomechanics professor at Waterloo. I’m familiar with McGill as I have read his book Back Mechanic. McGill make no reference to emotions or psychological factors and all focus is on core strength and proper movements.
    My thought was that there may be a place for both. People who have lived with chronic pain and have altered their movements would in no doubt have muscle atrophy in those areas. The person who has cured themself 70-90% may get that last bit with core work or in whatever area of deficiency. Obviously just getting active again could accomplish that.
    Anyway, just a thought. This stuff may have already been talked about. I’ve just been here 4 weeks and sometimes feel like someone who was late to the party.

TG957, Sita and Ellen like this.
  2. Sita

Sita Well known member

I believe in this too. That's why I started (continued) to work out more seriously. Including exercises for the core muscles. I never heard about Cathryn Ramin but I'm interested to see what she writes on her website about this subject.

Thanks.

3. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Thanks for letting us know.

Dr. Nortin Hadler also has a similar book titled, “Stabbed in The Back.” He exposes the mistaken approach of the mainstream medicine and believes in most cases doing nothing for back pain is the best thing to do.

As far as doing core exercises, it depends in your perspective.

If you do it for fun and get stronger, that’s great.

If you do it to avoud pain, that’s focusing on TMS and not good.

dharn999 and TG957 like this.
  4. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Our bodies need to be worked in order to stay healthy. Healing from TMS pain alone does not guarantee health, it simply opens a door to a normal life. Exercising your body should be part of that normal life. My TMS experience taught me to enjoy every piece of that normal life, exercise being one of them.

Ellen, FredAmir and Sita like this.