1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alan Gordon Episode 2 - How to Tell if Your Pain is Caused by Your Brain

Discussion in 'Tell Me About Your Pain Q&A' started by Alan Gordon LCSW, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

Hi all,
    Here’s episode 3 of our pain recovery podcast. We discuss how to determine if your pain is caused by your brain, and we explain why it's so important to embrace this belief.

This was my favorite episode we’ve done so far (especially the part with Greg, the former football player who overcame 30 years of pain in 4 weeks!) I hope you find it helpful. And if you had any comments or questions, post them below. I'll be checking this thread periodically.

Here’s the link to episode 3:

https://www.curablehealth.com/podcast/is-my-brain-causing-my-pain (How Can I Tell If My Brain Is Causing My Pain?)

Zuz and Neil like this.
  2. jamejamesjames1

jamejamesjames1 Peer Supporter

Alan -

I love the podcast and I love the pain program you have on this site. I think it is really good advice.

One thing that I think could be touched on a little more is the specific techniques (and/or personal “discoveries”) that people who heal go through.

I understand that everyone has a unique journey and experience (not to mention different genetics, environment, fears, etc). However, when it comes to MBS/TMS you often see stories that follow this pattern:

I have <insert_condition> for <insert_time_period> and I tried <insert_failed_healing_methods> and none of it worked. Then I learned about TMS and read <insert tms book/podcast/curable> and after a period of time I healed

I think that is great for getting people who are not aware more comfortable and accepting of the idea. However, some people (like me!) are 100% aware of MBS/TMS but still having issues “healing”. It would be nice to sometimes get down into the nitty gritty of the TMS/MBS individuals did to heal. It might not be applicable in all cases, but for me, it is by far the most interesting part of peoples stories.

3. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

Thanks for the feedback! We are definitely going to get into that in future episodes. In episodes 4 and 5 for instance, we’re going to show examples of people overcoming their symptoms in real time. I’ve always found that one of the most helpful things is to see the process in action.

Zuz and Annelise like this.
  4. jamejamesjames1

jamejamesjames1 Peer Supporter

Awesome. I'll be sure to check it out. Is your cadence for releasing episodes going to be approximately once a month?

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I think that their goal is to release them every 3 weeks, though perhaps it is every two weeks. It sounds like Alan and Alon are planning on turning the podcast series into a new recovery program with all of the newest ideas they developed from doing the Boulder study. My hope is that these threads here can serve as a little more work for people to do in between episodes for people who are in the thick of it.

I loved Greg. He was really relatable for a super-athlete like me (okay, joking about the athlete part, but he seemed very real). A good story to listen to for anyone with normal abnormalities who is having trouble accepting the diagnosis.

6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Heya, @jamejamesjames1 today is the day that the big "techniques" episode drops. It's focused on Somatic Tracking, which I know is what Alan considers the single most powerful technique for overcoming TMS. I'm at a conference now, but will be listening to it later.

The audio is available for free right now at:
    https://www.curablehealth.com/podcast/your-pain (Tell Me About Your Pain Podcast)

7. Brooke

Brooke New Member

These podcasts are fantastic! I've listened to each several times. Are you still looking for people to interview/work with in real-time? I have CRPS symptoms that are terrifying and I just can't get anyone to convincingly say they are TMS (or perhaps, I am just not able to hear their answers as convincing). Anyway, if you're ever looking for someone with different and alarmingly visual symptoms, please let me know. I'm available (and my two young daughters would be delighted to see their mom living life with the vigor and love she used to).

8. Optimistic

Optimistic Newcomer

Hi Alan,
    I agree with Brooke - absolutely fantastic! I'd also be interested if you work with people in real time!