1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else get ASMR tingles? (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by plum, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, and in Kalifornia, growing old is against the law, punishable by living in a gated community.

Ellen likes this.
  2. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Aren't gated communities hilarious? Any young guy can hop over the walls but they sure keep us moldy oldies from rampaging the neighborhood.

Tennis Tom and Ellen like this.
  3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Heya, @Laudisco, thanks for starting this thread! I don't have ASMR, but I think it's a fascinating subject. I've gone ahead and merged it with an older thread that I happened to remember that is also about ASMR. I hope you like the older posts. To see them, just scroll up. :)

plum and Ellen like this.
  5. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

Thanks Forest!

There may be genuine spiritual experiences that have a strong resemblance to phenomena such as synaesthesia, ASMR and so forth. For instance, many people with synaesthesia report seeing colours around people or associate colours with people. Some might explain that as seeing an “aura”, while psychologists would have a neurological explanation.

Personally I don’t come from a Hindu worldview or believe in the chakras, but I respect people with different spiritual and religious backgrounds. Also, experiences or sensations like this are hard to describe in words, and vary significantly from person to person.

My own view about ASMR is that it’s a conditioned response, because most people seem to report having ASMR in response to whispering. I’ve noticed that I can often trigger ASMR just by thinking about it, much like I can often trigger my pain/fatigue just by thinking about it. I primarily have ASMR with music, but I also get it at other random times – usually when I’m relaxed. I even get an ASMR sensation when hearing a phone ring, though it’s not necessarily a specific song or melody.

I’ve done some research online, and many people notice that ASMR helps them to relax before going to sleep or when going through a difficult situation. So I wonder if it’s our body’s way of trying to help us to calm down and soothe ourselves? Also, it seems to be a common experience when people get into a meditative state, and is related to the “binaural beats” phenomenon.

It could also be that people who experience ASMR have different brain wiring, much like people with synaesthesia have differences in neural circuitry. Anyway, it’s an intriguing mystery and there could be a wide range of explanations! At least it’s not particularly painful or bothersome, unlike many TMS symptoms. I’m interested in these concepts/phenomena as I feel they could give us clues about the brain and dealing with mind-body health issues.

Forest and Tennis Tom like this.
  6. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I loved reading this thread, from beloved canine friends to pleasurable sensory experiences. I was reminded of an experience at work. I had a 7th grade class coming to the library that frequently presented discipline challenges. On this day, however, another teacher had bright in her small dog, and he was lying on the counter. As the class came in, many of them stopped to pet the dog. I didn't have a single problem teaching the class that day! Made me wish I could have an official "library pet" but alas, it's not allowed. Too many kids with allergies and phobias.

plum likes this.
  7. Ines

Ines Well known member

My co-worker falls asleep with headphones on listening to a women whispering in another language. She has many videos and it's exactly what you are describing.
    I think my son rubbing the end of his pillowcase is the same for him. I used to hold my hair to fall asleep when I was younger.

plum likes this.
  8. allinthemind

allinthemind Peer Supporter

From a lot of recent meditation I now experience lots of sensations rushing around my body during a meditation session but can also send energy/vibrations/brain signals/linking with my emotions/Watever the hell it is throughout my body at will. It feels pretty good it is hard to sustain for more than a few seconds but i am getting better at it.

plum and BruceMC like this.
  9. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I always remember an acupuncturist announcing that 'you can't force pleasure' as he sunk a needle home. That was such a long time ago I suspect he has shuffled off this mortal coil while I have gone on to agree with his maxim. Relaxation, pleasure, bliss and gorgeous body-rushes are the fruits and flowers of surrender. We let go and the keys to kingdom are ours. I have found it is hard to sustain when I begin to use my mind in an attempt to capture the feeling. At some point you have to let the mind go and simply fall into cascades of pleasure.

BruceMC likes this.