1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by danargh, Jun 9, 2018.

1. danargh

danargh Newcomer

From the outset, the idea of TMS rang true for me. After 40+ years of headaches (since elementary school), more than a decade of increasing neck pain, and now jaw pain the last couple of years, none with any real determined reason, I really do feel like the classic personality type for TMS.
    So, I feel that I'm convinced, really I am, but I'm struggling a bit with how to move forward. I'm reading one of Dr. Sarno's books, now following the Structured Ed Program, on day 15 of the TMS Recovery Program, which I'm finding very helpful, and I'm using the Curable app. I'm reading, watching videos, meditating, and trying to be mindful of everything I'm learning, but wonder...how in the world do I stop taking the med I've taken long term for my neck? And then I think, am I not as convinced as I think I am?? Maybe not with the tough stuff.

I don't feel like anger's my issue, but I know fear and worry are. I know that when I let myself step with both feet into expressing how afraid I am of something happening for example, (like 20 years in the future, sigh), I wake up with pain after having had a good week, or simply will develop a headache and wonder where it came from. I'm not working on it every day yet, but tend to try to absorb a bunch at once. Maybe the daily program will be key; I guess that's the point. Here's hoping!

I'm very happy to be here. :)

2. norps

norps Newcomer

Sounds like you are doing a great job utilizing all the resources available, I hope you are making good progress. :)
    Take your time, it's hard to change your approach to symptoms that you've been dealing with for so long, even if the new approach makes sense to you.

> I know that when I let myself step with both feet into expressing how afraid I am of something happening for example, (like 20 years in the future, sigh)
    Had you have success with exploring what's causing your fears and is making you anxious?

> how in the world do I stop taking the med I've taken long term for my neck?
    Which meds have you been taking for your neck?

3. danargh

danargh Newcomer

Hey there, thanks for the reply!

What's making me anxious...that's a tough one or an easy one depending on which way I look at it.
    I have legitimate concerns, of course, but I know what work I need to do to be prepared. I don't need to incessantly worry about something I can't change simply by worrying. But, I also have irrational fears that logically I have no reason to have, other than a habit of expecting the worst.
    This, I really need to change. So, ultimately I need to change the way I'm used to thinking. I'm working on that.

I've taken Nortriptyline for my neck for more than a decade, with fairly good success.