1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 - foot/ankle pain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by healingjourney21, Oct 10, 2022.

1. healingjourney21

healingjourney21 Newcomer

Hi everyone,

Today is my first day of officially starting the structured educational program. I've read a few of Sarno's books and I am 95% convinced that what I am dealing with is TMS. There is still 5% in me that believes this is some sort of structural/physical due to the way the pain came on, but I am fighting and working to truly believe in it 100%.

I'm 24 years old and have always been active. Last year (Nov 2021) I was in my room cleaning up and randomly had a sharp throbbing pain on the inside of my left foot (medial ankle/tarsal tunnel area). I was not doing any physical activity during that moment and thought what the heck... It felt like a really tight cramp (almost like a charlie horse in your calf, but in my foot) that's the best way I can describe it. The pain came on in one split second (it was not gradual). I decided to ice it and didn't really think much of it and that it'd go away in a day or 2. I was doing some pretty intense HIIT workouts the previous week but this was not unusual for me as I always go to the gym. I thought I maybe hurt my foot during one of my workouts, but I hadn't worked out for 3 days prior so I really didn't think that could be the cause.

Since the foot pain started, I've also had some lower back pain and glute pain, all on the left side only (same side as the foot pain) but not as bad. I'm grateful that it's gone away now, but the foot pain still lingers.

Unfortunately, it is almost one year later now and i've been dealing with this pain on and off in my left foot. It's taken a toll on my life. It was so bad at some points that I couldn't walk without pain. I've tried physio, orthotics, acupuncture, RMT, etc. a bunch of other 'physical' treatments which only provide some temporary relief. I did an MRI & xray which were completely normal. I did an ultrasound which showed that I had suspected tenosynovitis (inflammation of the tendon sheath) in the medial ankle area where I do have pain. There is no visible swelling or inflammation. This ultrasound result is really contributing to that 5% where I have doubts.

I was told that my left foot was 'collapsing' and I need orthotics. I was also told I could have a small tear in my tendon, or have posterior tibial tendonitis. Due to how the pain came on in a split second (and also hasn't resolved in a year) I don't agree with any of these explanations.

Now that I think back to Nov 2021, it was quite a stressful month. I experienced something pretty traumatic and wonder if this is what could have triggered the TMS. I fit the exact personality type for TMS, and my pain does get worse when stressed out and improve when i'm distracted or not thinking about it. When I started to read Dr. Sarno's books, and educate myself on what TMS is, I actually did start to notice my pain move around. I had an acute flareup of bad neck and back pain, which has gone away now. Strange. Anyhow, i'm excited to start this journey and educate myself more about how TMS works. I feel hopeful.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. overcomingposttib

overcomingposttib New Member

This is exactly what I’m going through, same issue with post tib tendon (and some plantar fasciitis issues). Some days I can’t walk due to the pain. How are you getting on with your recovery?

3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Here is a little trick I use to get clarity on that... Pretend you are looking at yourself from outside BUT know all the things going on inside of you as well (Omniscient)...Why would that person need a symptom to distract them?

Dr. Sarno pointed out that once the diagnosis of TMS is made, we sufferers begin to see all kinds of emotional pain and trauma we were going through but 'coping' with. In fact, when describing TMS I always call it 'an over-evolved coping mechanism'

Good deal on the SEP!

peace