1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Constant Nerve Pain and Numbness

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by TJhawk, Oct 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TJhawk

TJhawk Newcomer

Hey everyone, I just picked up The Mindbody Prescription and have started reading it. I feel like anxiety and repressed emotions have definitely led to some of the pain I've been experiencing but have yet to accept it's not something structural.

Background: It started out with me getting super stressed out about a bump I found on my forehead. I was positive it was melanoma or a bone tumor. At the time I was applying for life insurance and had a baby due coming in a few months. I let weeks go by without going to the dr and had many panic attacks and depression over it. I finally went to my PCP and dermatologist a month later who both said I was fine.

A week later I developed the worst headache of my life right above the bump in my left temple. It was a constant head pressure that burned at times and no pain meds could take it away. I had a brain CT and MRI which were both normal so they labeled it a tension/stress migraine. I agreed that it was related to stress but I couldn't get it to go away and it was affecting work and my quality of life.

After 6 weeks of this headache I decided to try a chiropractor. I went in for a whole spine adjustment and the next day my head pressure was gone but I began to feel pins and needles all over that started in the neck/shoulders. I talked to chiro said nothing to worry about that body trying to adjust to new alignment. The symptoms though continued to progress and would not go away so I went to several doctors.

Here are my continuous symptoms (2 months after adjustment)

· Prickly/ Electric zaps all over every time I move, quick stabbing needle like pain that occurs sporadically in legs, arms, chest, back, feet
    · Very uncomfortable but not one excruciating pain spot
    · Feels like every nerve in body is irritated
    · Gradual numbness in feet like they are falling asleep, hands/fingers. When walking sometimes feels like stepping on nails.
    · No painful specific spot besides an inflamed muscle in neck that since subsided. Have full motion and strength

Tests I've had done:

Brain MRI & MRA - normal
    Neck CT, MRI, MRA - normal with some degeneration and reversal of cervical lordosis
    Lumbar MRI with contrast - mild buldge and small annulear tear at L1
    EMG Nerve conduction - normal
    Blood Panel – B12, Copper, Protein, SED, Thyroid, A1C1 Diabetes - normal
    Chiro – Xrays normal

I've seen by the ER, my PCP, EMG dr, and two neurologists

Since nothing major has show on any of the tests they are telling me its stress/anxiety. It's hard for me to comprehend that anxiety/repressed emotions could cause this constant pain I feel no matter what I do including sleep/relaxing and not thinking about it. Lately, I've felt more frequent pain (every few seconds and more numbness in my feet).

My symptoms mimic peripheral neuropathy but the neurologist did blood tests that ruled out common causes besides spinal compression which nothing was found impinging nerves in my neck and lower back. I fear my nerves though are being damaged from the constant pain I'm in. It's like my nervous system is in overdrive and won't calm down. I'm thinking the chiropractor aggravated the nerves in my spine that were already tense that fired off everywhere in my body. The foot numbness is the most concerning to me though.

Has anyone been in extreme and constant pain and attributed it to TMS? I'm wanting some sign of relief or improvement but the symptoms are so constant that it's difficult to take my mind off them and what's causing it.

2. Ines

Ines Well known member

3. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I have the same issues as you it's been 6 yrs ...I am finally starting to swallow the TMS phenomena...
    No more test drugs of any kind ...time to live my life and know that it's my unconscious rage that is causing my pain.

tgirl likes this.
  4. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

[Deleted at BeWell's request]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2016
  5. TJhawk

TJhawk Newcomer

Have you been implementing TMS strategies over the past 6 years or just now starting?

6. Boston Redsox

Just within the last 1.5 years

7. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

You are in the right place. Search, read, ask questions, follow advice and absorb. Welcome!

Boston Redsox likes this.
  8. Boston Redsox

I feel your pain and exhaustion I am in the same place without and resolve yet

9. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Peer Supporter

I had migraines for 9 1/2 years but the last 2-3 years, they were relentless. I had a relative who committed suicide many years ago for this reason. First, I watched the 20/20 video.

I read Mindbody Prescription, I underlined the most important info. or anything that seemed to relate. I was 65% better. Then I read it 5 more times at least. I really needed to brainwash myself into accepting and understanding. Now I was 85% better. Then I read success stories and Steve O's book, The Great Pain Deception. I talked to my inner child and told it to stop, I focused on my anger when the pain started and retrained my brain. I did some journaling. Then I was 95% better. Joined TMS wiki and did some of the SEP. I continue to focus on anger if I feel pain. Tell myself I am a healthy woman. I am 99% well now. THIS REALLY WORKS! Stick with it, TG957!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  10. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Wow! I have never seen any posts that echoed the same experience I had with an elderly chiropractor in 2011 . I went to him for back and foot pain. He used an odd technique instead of a usual manipulation, pressing his elbow into places throughout the body. The back and foot pain improved for only one day but then the same needle like pains you describe engulfed my entire body and I still have the problems today despite years of taking an gabapentin for them. I step on "lumps" instead of nails. I have never encountered a chiropractor who would take any responsibility for problems after an adjustment. It is always the fault of the patient.

11. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

12. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

Lady Phoenix likes this.