1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Clicking/snapping sounds - still TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by lucaspjones, Nov 6, 2020.

1. lucaspjones

lucaspjones New Member

Hey guys!

I have been following Alan Gordon's recovery programme for TMS manifesting itself as RSI/tendonitis in both of my hands. I've experienced a reduction in pain in just 3 weeks of the programme, and I'm back to doing most of the activities I love - yay! :)

However, when I do the big one (going back on the computer, probably my biggest fear at the moment), my hands get really achey the following day. I've not been using my hands really for about 4 months now, so maybe this is just tiredness? Or perhaps TMS trying to re-establish itself in response to one of my biggest triggers?

Also, I'm getting a lot more clicking/snapping sounds in my wrists. Is this normal for you guys who have overcome RSI pain? Or could it be the sign of something like arthritis, that maybe I should get checked out? I'm 23 years old, so arthritis seems really unlikely to me, and my (former) physio could feel no inflammation in my hands.

Overall I am feeling very positive and have no trouble accepting the diagnosis. I just wanted to seek some guidance here and see what other people think :)

Hope everyone is healthy & doing well on their own journeys!

2. Idearealist

Idearealist Peer Supporter

It's something that Steve Ozanich mentions in The Great Pain Deception - that many TMSers have clicking/popping joints. I can't remember the explanation for why this is the case, but I believe it is essentially benign regardless. I have it in my wrists (and knees!) And I'm 32. Never noticed it before, and it seemingly came on with the other TMS symptoms virtually over night

3. lucaspjones

lucaspjones New Member

Great to hear that I'm not alone on this :) How are you finding the TMS approach? Have you seen any improvement?

4. Idearealist

Idearealist Peer Supporter

I've seen improvement, but I still have some doubts about the process/my symptoms, so I'm still struggling

5. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Sarno compared those noises to cracking knuckles and I have safely ignored LOTS of them for A LONG time. Jaw, arm, hip... I suppose I don't need to tell you that my body makes them most when I am under stress? I also get creaks... literally little noises that sound like a door that needs wd40 coming from my knees, arm, hips. They are a big nothing burger, though I suppose If I hadn't read Sarno they might scare me.

peace

linnyc87 and lucaspjones like this.
  6. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes. I had it as I was recovering. It is all gone now.

lucaspjones likes this.
  7. linnyc87

linnyc87 Peer Supporter

I think it's due to tension. For me, I only experience this in parts of my body that are tensed. Any time I'm fully relaxed, there's no popping or clicking.

lucaspjones likes this.
  8. lucaspjones

lucaspjones New Member

I think all you guys are spot on :) I can feel I carry tension in my hands and wrists, sometimes I catch myself clenching them unconsciously!

I don't know if anyone really cares but I'm continuing to make good progress and I really, truly believe in TMS. I even look at people getting 'long covid' today and wonder if this is just TMS. Who knows, I really hope some more concrete studies are done about TMS in the years to come!

TG957, Baseball65 and linnyc87 like this.
  9. linnyc87

linnyc87 Peer Supporter

This is actually something I've been discussing among my friends in private. I have my beliefs in regards to covid, but I don't discuss them in public due to how sensitive the topic is.

But yeah, I'm with you on that thought!

I'm glad you're progressing forward. ☺

Baseball65 likes this.