1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Carpal Tunnel TMS doubts

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by cdub, Jul 10, 2018.

1. cdub

cdub Peer Supporter

Been going through RSI for a year. One doc diagnosed as carpal tunnel... Other doc says possibility it isn't. Been doing PT, rolfing, stretches, acupuncture, self trigger point massage and I'm a little better but still having symptoms. It's a roller coaster. I think I'm getting better but then I'm not.

My symptoms are tingling in fingertips in median nerve fingers. Sometimes burning fingertips after a day of work. Sore wrists after work. Pains in elbow. Pinky and forth finder fall asleep sometimes at night. Sometimes pain in my shoulders. Neck and shoulders sometimes very tense. I failed the shock test (no CT) but am a mild positive for the manual bend hand tests. I wear splints at night and the doc wants to do cortisone shots. I've been doing Sharon Butler's stretching program and while I've gotten more flexible the symptoms are relatively the same. Took three months off in the beginning and didn't use a computer at all but symptoms came back immediately when I did. Now I've switched to a less demanding computer use job and I'm managing but I want to get back to what I was doing before.

Almost all of the RSI carpal tunnel TMS success stories I read are with people who complain about pain. I never see a mention of tingling and numbness. If there's no tingling or numbness then it's not carpal tunnel.

So I have doubts that I have TMS.

2. HattieNC

HattieNC Well known member

Years ago, before I knew about TMS, I developed what I thought was Carpal Tunnel from excessive computer use. This went on for several years. Yes, I had tingling and numbness along with pain. Thankfully, I didn't see a medical doctor to get a "diagnosis." Instead, I went to an acupuncturist who was nurturing and compassionate. Her procedure room was aesthetically appealing and she played soft music while she worked on me. She also told me to take small doses of B6. I got better after a few sessions and the symptoms never returned even though I spend up to 10 hours per day on a computer. I think the acupuncture and B6 were probably placebo's, and her kind reassurance that I was going to be fine was all I needed to calm my system and heal.

cdub likes this.
  3. cdub

cdub Peer Supporter

I've done acupuncture and while it was certainly calming... It didn't do anything for the carpal tunnel.

4. HattieNC

HattieNC Well known member

Exactly my point! I was going through a lot of stressful emotions that I didn't know how to process, so they manifested in a totally logical place....my wrist and fingers. Again, this was before I'd heard of TMS. The acupuncturist reassuring me that I was going to get well - is why I did. If I had went to a medical doctor and had the diagnosis of Carpal Tunnel (this was before RSI) my brain would have latched on to that diagnosis and the outcome would have been different.

I see that you are a newcomer. If you haven't already, you may find Alan Gordon's program on this Wiki helpful to you. Also, Curable has a new podcast that is amazing! I listened to it this morning while getting ready for work.
    https://www.curablehealth.com/podcast/curable-founders-recovery-stories (Pain is the Worst (Part I of the Curable App Founders' Special))

5. cdub

cdub Peer Supporter

Still don't understand your point unfortunately but I'll check those resources out.

Has anyone here been diagnosed with true carpal tunnel by regular doctors here and had it curred by treating it as TMS? Ie tingling in fingers and wrist pain.