1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Any suggestions for a Pain Psychology therapist

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by tgirl, Apr 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I am wondering if anyone has had success with a particular therapist at this clinic. It’s hard to know who to pick. They all seem so young, not that this matters, I know. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Amber Murphy. She helped me, she is great!

3. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thanks TG. I looked her up and she’s not on their list of therapists. I wonder if she left. If you have any contact info for her I’d appreciate it.

4. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Amber is great even though she couldn't help me I would try her again ..she's in private practice

tgirl and TG957 like this.
  5. TG957

Amber is on maternity leave, back in late April.

tgirl likes this.
  6. TG957

I just heard back from her, she will be very happy to take new clients in May.

7. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thanks TG. I tried to reach her and I got an automatic reply. Do you have contact info for her?

8. TG957

she OK-ed giving away her personal email ambermurphymsw@gmail.com

9. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Hmm that’s the one I used. I’ll try again. Thank you.

10. Drew

Drew Peer Supporter

hi Ms TG 957,
    I just downloaded your book and skimmed through most of it. Such an inspirational story and one that really resonances and mirrors mine.
    Would it be possible to talk to you directly. I have crps and neuropathic pain as well for last 3-4 years and what crazy I have seen some amazing improvement when I just pushed myself at the gym and became very active and got busy in life the pain subsided. The neuropathic pain was always mainly in my legs and certain times in last two years I have been working out like an athlete doing lunges, squats upto 200lbs, step up, leg press upto 500 lbs and a lot of biking and cardio. But last 4 months all neuropathic pain has come back with a vengeance and not just in legs but all over especially the burning skin, tingling, electric shocks, cold water feeling, fire ants biting crawling, you name it and I have that neuropathic symptoms. I had these nerve symptoms before too but they slowly faded I even travelled all around Europe and went to 16 counties on my own working out going to bars having a great time. But last 3 months my mom visited I panicked to her about still getting these symptoms and more I panicked it’s like everything came back and then we went and met 3-4 more doctors and the more I explained my old symptoms it’s like my brain was listening and I have debilitating pain in legs and all nerve symptoms back all the time, the nerve sensitivity and when my mom was still here my full body was having nerve symptoms shocks tingling burning, it was like in just the 3 weeks she was here the more I focused and panicked about my problems it just kept intensifying and now I almost feel like a cripple in just last two months. It’s astonishing to see I was lifting 200 lbs squats and doing Such hard workout again thinking I’m mostly past it with most of my nerve symptoms restricted to stressful times or night time while sleeping or in morning to now them being there 24/7 and some days I can’t even walk. When I started getting better 2 years ago I couldn’t walk anymore so I forced myself to Walk 10-15 miles everyday, I couldn’t wear jeans or any clothing pretty much would cause sensivity pain in knees classic CRPS allodynia sign. I have been overly obsessing and spending about 10-15 hours on forums everyday since this relapse and everytime I have to explain my stmptoms even right now as I’m writing I can feeling them Going up and up. If I pick up and call mom n dad and vent or start getting sad or panicky the symptoms go up 100 times but if I don’t call them every morning I wake up with full body burning tingling and every nerve symptoms everywhere. I can’t belive just 7 months ago I was dancing in Ireland and running around in Barcelona and here I am restricted to my bed unable to do anything and because of wrtiting and explaining my symptoms to so many people over the last 2 months it’s like every single one of them is back which I thought I had forgotten or loved past from. It’s like my nerves are so hyper and nervous system can’t seem to turn off anymore.

11. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Drew, I’m wondering what the doctors said to you about all of this. Did think it was stress/anxiety related?

12. Drew

Drew Peer Supporter

Well neurologists aren’t sure at all. I have myself noticed that stress and anxiety definitely has a direct almost an instant reaction in my body. Pretty much the reason I found out about TMS.

13. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Were you under stress when it first started? I guess they didn’t find anything actually wrong with you? It’s all so crazy, believe me I know. Hope you feel well soon. Check out Dan Buglio’s videos. He talks about not focusing on the symptoms etc.

14. Drew

Drew Peer Supporter

I mean I’m an actor so stress is like a prerequisite to the career top it up with my overachieving good it’s people pleasing personality and u have a recipe for disaster. have you been able to completely recover? I know you have suffered from some neuropathic symptoms yourself correct??

15. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Yes, this is my third bout. Nothing can be found when I do the medical route. What about you, have the doctors found anything? I still have the sensations and I must say that I am really frustrated, which doesn’t help. I’m sure being an actor is pretty stressful. Start seeing it as TMS and I think you should see a difference, especially if doctors haven’t been able to find anything wrong.

16. TG957

Drew, from what you have posted, you clearly have TMS. You have identified the cause with great precision: anxiety and a breakdown of the nervous system. What I am recognizing in your post is a bit of bipolar pattern: either 10-15 miles a day and lifting 500 lbs - or being confined to bed. Looks like your profession is not lending itself to the equanimity of mind and body, which is important if you want to get yourself back in balance.

You have to remember, talking to others is important, however, in order to recover you need to stabilize your nervous system.

1. I highly recommend that you start with Claire Weekes audios, they were godsend for me. Play them every day, 3, 4, 10 times in a row. This is what I did - and it worked. I find the auditory component essential to calming the brain and nervous system. She specifically addresses anxiety. Here is where you can find her audios, thanks to @Eric "Herbie" Watson : https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/claire-weekes-audio.2569/ (Claire Weekes Audio). Try to stick with it at least for a week and see where it takes you.

2. Since you already have my book, spend some serious time reading carefully chapter 4 and chapter 5. It is only 40 pages of text and you can go through them in couple days. Do not allow your anxiety skim through the book, read it attentively. You can skip section about Dr. Farias, since you don't have dystonia.

3. You need to find a way to calm yourself down by sound, slow movement, visual imagery and make it your daily routine. I address all these three points in the book. I believe that by simply recognizing that anxiety and disturbed nervous system are the cause of the illness, you are already half-way to recovery.

4. Once you have practiced steps 1 -3, start using tools from my Chapter 5: mindfulness, meditation (any of the three options I describe), emotional work. The most important is to be patient. You cannot set a timeline for your recovery. I wrote about it in the book, extensively. Best of luck and give it your 100%!

I can talk to you directly, you can DM on this forum.

tgirl likes this.