1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Ah, is this not happiness..

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by Gigalos, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Becca

Becca Well known member

This bunny. Because it's so. Freakin. Cute.

bunny.jpg

Ah, is this not happiness! :joyful:

Gigalos and Forest like this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

The rabbit's arms remind me of "Surprised kitty:"

Gigalos and Becca like this.
  3. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Cycling past a grassland full of guls looking for worms.... Amazing to see hundreds of guls tapdancing :)

Becca and Forest like this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I love the meerkats video.
    The Animal Planet ran a series on them that was wonderful.

Gigalos likes this.
  5. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

Baby elephant sees the ocean for the first time. So cute to see this little elephant playing!

Gigalos likes this.
  6. Becca

Becca Well known member

Realizing that in less than three days, you are going to see two awesome cousins, who really might as well be your brothers, who you haven't seen in about a year...ah, is this not happiness! :happy:

Forest and Gigalos like this.
  7. Gigalos

he clearly has no problems with salt water in his trunk. great video

Peggy likes this.
  8. Forest

Chilling with my brothers and their wives, late in the evening.
    Ah, is this not happiness...

Gigalos likes this.
  9. Gigalos

Playing table tennis against a guy from my club who has only 1-2 months to live and is now in a wheel chair. I know... sounds weird, but he has already accepted what is going to happen and just wanted to hit some balls for the fun of it.
    ah, is this not happiness...

Forest likes this.
  10. Gigalos

Showering in your freshly painted and cleaned bathroom...
    ah, is this not happiness.

11. Mala

Mala Well known member

Putting your face against your dog's warm & furry neck while she is sleeping & hear her 'purr' with utter contentment. Then watch as she lets out the biggest sigh & just goes limp.

12. Forest

Realizing that both you and your girlfriend and you both had the idea to get a Christmas tree at exactly the same time after years of feeling like we just didn't have time.
    ah, is this not happiness.

13. Forest

By the way, @Gigalos, thanks for bringing this thread back. Whenever I see it listed in "Recent Threads," my hand starts moving to click on it so I can see the news - almost of its own accord.

... and that's a good thing. Aside from the fact that these are just fun to read, research in the field of happiness science and positive psychology has shown that taking a moment to bring attention to what we are grateful for has measurable positive effects.

This thread has been around for almost two years now and some people may not have been around at the beginning, so I thought I'd provide a refresher to invite newcomers to join in.

[​IMG] The thread was indirectly inspired by a 17th century Chinese playwright named Chin Shengtang. He was once stranded in a temple during a rainstorm for three days with a friend. While thus secluded, the pair compiled their list of the 33 best moments in life. This delightful literary project is called Chin’s 33 Happy Moments, and you can do it yourself. Just describe a happy moment, and then write, “ah, is this not happiness!” at the end.

And in case that isn't enough, Gigalos provided a terrific introduction to the thread in the first post, using a quote from Eckhart Tolle.

I like using the thread for the simple things that we might not notice but that can add a meditative beauty to our lives if we just attend to them. And attending to them is always more rewarding in a community.

By the way, reading the original list of 33 moments is like taking good medicine and I highly recommend it:
    http://artoflivingguide.org/happiness/thirty-three-happy-moments
    What amazes me is that it was written 350 years ago, halfway around the world and still has relevance. Some of them do make me laugh, though. Feel free to paste one of the moments from the original list into this thread if you ever want to rejuvenate it a bit.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    mike2014, Ellen and Gigalos like this.
  14. Gigalos

Great post Forest, I didn't know it had such a history :)

15. Gigalos

so... now you have TWO Christmas trees...? ;)

16. Forest

That would be a lot! Nope, we're in the process of moving in together. Very excited!

Ellen likes this.
  17. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Receiving a holiday card from a group of third graders that I have worked with, wishing me a good "Crimice brake" (Christmas break).

Ah, is this not happiness!......

Forest, mike2014 and Gigalos like this.
  18. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Forest likes this.
  19. Gigalos

Having stuffed all your cupboards with groceries for Christmas... no need to visit an overcrowded supermarket today.
    A Merry Christmas everybody and to Forest a happy moving-in-together for 2015!

Forest likes this.
  20. Gigalos

Sunday morning, baking chocolate chip cookies....