1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Ah, is this not happiness..

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by Gigalos, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

One thing that helped me immensely the last couple of months is a very simple thing that has therapeutic value and takes little time and effort to do: Discover and write down those little moments in life that make you feel happy. I slowly started to learn that every day has (hidden) happiness in it. Is it not something that happened that day, it may be a memory of the past that brings a smile to your face. Whenever I have a bad day, I start to read them back and it lifts my mood.

Find your personal happy moments and post them here. Benefit from them yourself and let others here benefit from them, as reading other people's happy moments is catching and inspiring.

(Plum, this one's for you... )

Many poets and sages throughout the ages have observed that true
    happiness – I call it the joy of Being – is found in simple, seemingly
    unremarkable things. Most people, in their restless search for something
    significant to happen to them, continuously miss the insignificant, which
    may not be insignificant at all. The philosopher Nietzsche, in a rare moment
    of deep stillness, wrote, “For happiness, how little suffices for happiness!....
    the least ting precisely, the gentlest thing, the lightest thing, a lizard's
    rustling, a breath, a wisk, an eye glance – little maketh up the best happiness.
    Be still.”

Why is it the “least thing” that makes up “the best happiness”?
    Because true happiness is not caused by the thing or event, although this is
    how it first appears. The thing or event is so subtle, so unobtrusive, that it
    takes up only a small part of your consciousness – and the rest is inner space,
    consciousness itself unobstructed by form. Inner space consciousness and
    who you are in your essence are one and the same. In other words, the form
    of little things leaves room for inner space. And it is from inner space, the
    unconditioned consciousness itself, that true happiness, the joy of Being,
    emanates. To be aware of little, quiet things, however, you need to be quiet
    inside. A high degree of alertness is required. Be still. Look. Listen. Be
    present.

2. Gigalos

You walk along the beach and observe a German Shepherd in a futile attempt to catch a Greyhound at full speed.

ah, is this not happiness...

Watching you nephew and nieces look intensely for shells along the sea shore under a clear blue sky.

3. PeterO

PeterO Peer Supporter

Gigalos.

V.timely.

Yesterday in my mad, obsessive TMS online
    searching I welcomed upon these wonderful words...

may I be free from suffering
    may I experience joy & ease

You have given me an entry into how I might
    experience joy in small incremental amounts.

Pete

4. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

I love this thread!

Happiness is watching a wobbly toddler waltzing around the room and humming to the music in her mind with her baby doll!

5. cindy

cindy New Member

I was walking my dogs yesterday and noticed that the sun had just barely finished setting. As a result it had just barely begun to get dark outside. I realized that I love that moment in the day, and was reminded of playing outside until dark when I was a kid. I felt grateful for being present enough in the moment to even be aware of that.

6. Gigalos

You apply the wisdom "The least you can get is a no" and end up with more than you could have ever hoped for.

ah, is this not happiness..

7. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I'm a huge fan of "celebrating the small stuff." After all, I've suffered with chronic illness quite a bit. If I hadn't celebrated the small things, I never would have celebrated anything.
    In the throes of my worst pain these last 2 years, I started a gratitude journal. It was a rare day that I didn't come upon something that brought me joy. But I also believe that joy comes to those who are most receptive.

8. trypp

trypp Peer Supporter

I love this idea! I could use some cheering up.

Seeing young people walk in clumps across the sunny city plaza.

9. Chuck

Chuck Peer Supporter

ah, is this not happiness

10. trypp

trypp Peer Supporter

No repressed emotions there....

11. Gigalos

To trypp: "Ribbit!" (in english, great observation)

You and your colleagues impersonate meerkats during lunch, absorbing the energy that is generated by a gentle spring sun.

[​IMG]

12. Becca

Becca Well known member

Love this!

The smell of freshly baked chocolate chip banana bread...ah, is this not happiness.

eric watson likes this.
  13. Becca

Becca Well known member

...or for that matter, everything about freshly baked chocolate chip banana bread... :)

14. trypp

trypp Peer Supporter

There is just something so wonderful about the warm springtime sun... Even though it may still be a bit cool outside, it's so reassuring to feel it on your skin. Freshly baked chocolate chip banana bread aint half bad, either. ;)

Smoothing fresh sheets, still warm from the dryer, over your bed (still wrinkled, as I'm not one to iron...)
    ahh, is this not happiness...

15. Becca

Becca Well known member

That first (almost) end of spring, beginning of summer day, when sitting outside in the shade is just as lovely as sitting in the sun....

Ah, is this not happiness!

16. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

big orange tabby cat stretched out full length on his back, sound asleep and snoring away....ah to feel that safe and content

17. Chuck

Chuck Peer Supporter

Spending the whole day at the beach and not at work...ah is this not happiness

MWsunin12, Porpoise, JoyceVT and 3 others like this.
  18. Gigalos

you lucky @#$% ....... :)

19. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Gigalos, may life shower you with love.

(For those who don't know, the origins of this wonderful idea can be found here: http://idler.co.uk/ah-is-this-not-happiness/).

The blossoming of joy, how readily everyone embraces the tender simplicity of life.

Ah, is this not happiness.

MWsunin12, Porpoise, Gigi and 2 others like this.
  20. Solange

Solange Well known member

Huge red poppies the size of tea cups opening just outside my window.
    A punnet of sun warmed strawberries on the kitchen table.
    A hot, hot shower with the radio on.
    Ah, is this not happiness....