1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

A new chat room is coming!

Discussion in 'About This Site' started by Forest, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi everyone,

For those of you who haven't yet come to our drop-in chat yet, you should! It's been running continuously for four years straight every Saturday from 3-4 PM EST, and is a fabulous place to discuss things with other TMSers in a more interactive format. Occasionally, people will discuss the chat here in our forums, as happened in the following thread:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/thread...he-danger-signal-of-the-pain.8476/#post-58447

Over the next several weeks, I'll be upgrading the software that runs our chat room, so you may see some changes in our forum software as well. Unfortunately, when I built the chat room four years ago, I used a software product that is no longer being updated. Simutaneously, over the same period, spammers have become more devious and technologically advanced. As a result, our chat room is being spammed by specially written programs that advertise a dating site.

Our current chat room software doesn't include state of the art spam-fighting tools, but I have identified 5 new products that are integrated with our discussion forum software and do have such tools. The new tools should allow us to block the new spammers.

At this point, I've narrowed the chat software candidates down to one leading candidate. It may be a while before I can install it, though, as I first need to upgrade MySQL, our database server, upgrade our forum software from version 1.4.10 t0 1.5.2, and rebuilt the development server before I can install and test the new integrated chat room server (whew!). Only then will I know if the new software will be truly appropriate for our needs. (I'm optimistic, though.)

The bottom line is that you may see some minor changes in the forum, and a new chat room popping up. Unlike the old chat room, it will be tightly integrated in with the forum, which will hopefully strengthen both programs as they feed off of one another.

Enjoy the site! Here's the link to the old chat room if you want to check it out:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/chat/

2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Excellent. It sounds impressive and I'm looking forward to using it. Thanks for creating a great Wiki Forest.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Forest,
    Thank you for everything. I see people helped and supported here every day.
    Andy B.

4. Forest

Thanks for your support, @mike2014 and @Andy B. It is the wonderful community of people like you that make it all worthwhile.

5. Forest

I should also mention that the software was successfully upgraded yesterday and is ready to use on Saturday!

Simplicity likes this.
  6. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

That's great! It was fun chatting yesterday. :)

Forest likes this.
  7. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest it's great to see the forum has almost reached 3,000 registered members. I remember when it was just around the 2,100 mark.

8. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Hat tip to you, Forest! Thank you for your tremendous labor of love in this community.

9. Fabi

Fabi Well known member

I will drop in the new chat today, I have been listening to Steve Ozarnik' s MP3 and I have some questions. I also added new info to my profile.
    It is great to see how professional and caring you people are!

10. Forest

I'm glad to hear it. I won't be there myself, but I'm sure it will be great. Thanks for the kind words about the professionalism and caring. I think it's a big factor in why we have grown so rapidly. People need to know that we are worthy of their trust before they will want to join our community.

North Star and Fabi like this.