1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Yikes! Glad you all are here

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by clearwater, Jul 1, 2020.

1. clearwater

clearwater Newcomer

Hi folks

After a few years believing in Dr Sarno’s work, reading his books, and maybe 60% believing it was the cause of my problems - I discovered your site.

It is such a relief, as I’d thought the theory was great - but that there was very little in the way of practical steps to follow. And then I discovered you!

My situation is perhaps different to most. Back pain is a very rare, acute and infrequent symptom. Instead I have a ping-ponging of “constrictive” symptoms, ranging from migraines to serious digestive issues. They move around the body, but never overlap.

I’m still at 60% acceptance, and less than that that I can cure this thing, as my (neurotic) mind is very powerful at controlling me. Im interested in what could ever be equally as powerful in countering this force.

I’d be particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has anxiety, stomach, liver, or migraine issues. If not, here’s to meeting you all, and seeing what this great resource of yours is all about.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi clearwater and Welcome,

Your guidance to use Dr. Sarno's approach, the SEP, this Forum for your current symptoms is right-on. Your symptoms are common TMS equivalents, and I hope others will respond with your specific symptoms/successes. I can say that I've had clients recover from both digestion and migraine, but not personal experience.

This is important evidence to support your work. Often TMS stuff moves, but does not occur simultaneously. Not always, but common: one thing subsides, another arises.

This is where everyone starts. It's OK. The education works. Reassuring yourself that you're OK, even if you don't fully believe it works. Doing things/having experiences which are neutral or positive, rather than negative, works. Etc.

Sooner or later you'll have some kind of pattern change or temporary relief. Then the work goes deeper, because you're experiencing the evidence that this is your way out. Then you're at at a full 70% maybe. It continues. Be patient. Be persistent. Develop mindfulness so that you can see your fears and not completely believe them.

Andy

TrustIt likes this.
  3. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

Welcome Clearwater, I rid myself of lifetime migraines about a year ago not long after reading The Divided Mind and learning they were mind produced. Made enough sense to my mind and it gave up. So thankful for that as they are wicked! They are definitely tms. I then started having digestive issues. My other issue is sinus related... post nasal drip that drives me crazy much of the time. No pain tho. Mentioning that only in case you may have experienced sinus issues as well. The digestive issues have been so chronic that I have now developed anxiety around it. Soooo... my tms switches among these things. I have periods of relief but it does come back and my mind always goes first to "is it something I ate?" Aargh! I will say it's ALL improving just not as quickly as I want and that frustration is part of the anxiety. I have learned that frustration and anxiety are both fear. And as we all know, fear is at the bottom of everything. Claire Weeks has great books and there are some YouTube videos of her speaking about anxiety. Really good info! I'll be following this thread for others comments as these symptoms are quite common on this forum. I come here often as there are some very helpful, caring people here and the success stories are priceless! My process has not been overnight from just reading a book but I think that is more the exception than the rule. We have a lot to offer each other. Stick with it. You will absolutely turn it around as will I. Peace.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  4. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Hi Clearwater. I used the program to get rid of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome symptoms that had been making me nearly disabled for over year. After beating that, I then found many of my "older" issues were TMS too, and used the program's teaching to rid myself of my occasional bad headaches (had those for 24 years) and IBS with constipation (had that for 13 years). I don't think my headaches were technically migraines, but in the past I had to take several doses of Tylenol anytime I got one. That is no longer the case. Usually, I can stop a headache once I feel it coming on. The worst I have had is a very mild headache that lasted maybe half a day.

Good luck with the program and feel free to reach out if you have questions!