1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 10 Wow, this is me: people who haven't enjoyed work, more likely to have back pain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by If 6 was 9, Feb 13, 2017.

1. If 6 was 9

If 6 was 9 Peer Supporter

Just doing the reading on Day 10 and this lept out at me from the educational reading by Alan Gordon, Miracles of mind body medicine

here's the quote (I can't work out how to do the quote formatting that I see others doing):

"In one of the largest studies ever conducted on back pain, the investigators found that psychological factors were more predictive of the onset of back pain than any of the physical variables analysed. Of particular interest, they found that subjects who stated that they ‘hardly ever’ enjoyed their work tasks were two and a half times more likely to report back pain than subjects who ‘almost always’ enjoyed their work tasks'."

That's me right there! I've gone through my whole working life hating my various jobs, though to be fair to myself this has progressively eased over the last few years.

butterfly_queen likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, If 6 were 9. I'm glad to learn that you like your work tasks more. I agree that liking one's work is very important to general good health. I hated a job once and was always sick. I finally quit, got a job I liked a lot better, and was hardly ever sick anymore.

3. Arnie

Arnie New Member

Well I suppose this does not just apply to work but applies to anything. I was just trying to do the journaling for day 5 and was not enjoying it (actually disliking it, don't know why never liked writing, millions of thoughts are rushing thru my head but it is so difficult to put them on paper) So as I pushed myself trying to write I started developing some neck & shoulder pain on my left side, which I've never had before. So to generalise it, I suppose one can say if you are forced to do (or force yourself to do) something that you don't enjoy, you are most likely to develop some sort of pain (TMS symptom).