1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Working Hard to Get Better

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mathteacher, Oct 27, 2015.

1. mathteacher

mathteacher New Member

I'm on day 25 of the Structured Educational Program. My pain was in both shoulders, and before I discovered TMS, I actually had surgery on the right shoulder (diagnosed with impingement syndrome), and I was planning on getting the left shoulder done next. Then I found that the surgery did not cure my pain in the right shoulder, so I became incredibly anxious about what was wrong with me. I became so afraid of the pain, that I spent my entire 10 week summer vacation (I am a teacher) just sitting in a chair with my arms at my side. I wouldn't even try to open dresser drawers because of the pain. I piled my clothes on the bed in guest room, so I could get to them. My friend recommended a book called "The Great Pain Deception" by Steven Ray Ozanich, and from there, I read John Sarno's books, and also "To Be or Not to Be Pain Free," my Marc Sopher. I feel like my progress is slow, but when I think about how I was last summer, I realize I have come a long way. I recently started mowing the lawn again, in spite of the pain that lingers. Thank you all for the encouraging words on this forum. It really helps!

levfin003 likes this.
  2. levfin003

levfin003 Peer Supporter

Soon you will be mowing the lawn with no problems!

When I first suffered from TMS, I couldn't drive or lift my daughter, even for five minutes. Today, even when I get relapses, like the one I got yesterday, those activities do not aggravate the symptoms. I have reversed the conditioned response I used to get from those activities, and hope you will overcome yours as well!

mathteacher likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, mathteacher. Those books are the best for believing in TMS and overcoming the pain our emotions cause us to have. I'm glad you are feeling better and even mowing the lawn. Any activity such as chores can take our mind off of pain. We "live in the present moment" which keeps us from ruminating about the past or worrying about the future.

Levinfin, I'm so glad to hear you are also being active and it does not aggravate your symptoms.

Keep up the good work, both of you.

mathteacher likes this.
  4. mathteacher

mathteacher New Member

Thank you Walt and Levfin.