1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What to do with my feelings..

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Raj s, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Raj s

Raj s Peer Supporter

Hi,
    When i list down my pressures and try to look into what is causing these symptoms. I found some feelings i have.. I cant act on them.. Once i knw about these feelings what should i do. Do i try to resolve those things.. if not possible to resolve what should i do.. little confused with what should i do when i know about the feelings

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Raj, you are doing it, Dr. Sarno says shift your thinking to the psychological/emotional when you feel the pain. Everyone's life is different, I can't say what you should do to practically change yours depending on the circumstances creating the TMS tension distraction for a defense mechanism/protector. If you care to elaborate, maybe someone who's been through and resolved a similar situation can advise you.

Overcoming TMS pains is a life process, like Nicole Sachs says, discovering your truths. She has a great quote in her book by G.B Shaw, "If you can't change your mind, you can't change anything." The more you practice TMS thinking, the better you will get at it and the quicker your mind will recognize the physical symptoms to be TMS, causing them to fade--then sleep on it. The KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN has to seep into your unconscious and be processed.

You will ultimately live a more fulfilled life, spend less time fretting over culturally created FEARS, hanging out in doctor's waiting rooms and ER's, spending money on snake-oyls and voo-doo therapies that are only short-lived placebos.

You may also want to ask your TMS questions at the Tuesday night TMS Wiki
    Fuse meet-up starting this week discussing Nicole's book. Also, you can contact TMS professionals at this site, a great free opportunity for helpful TMS advice.

Kudos to Forest for selflessly creating all these great TMS helpful tools!!! beerbuds

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    Ellen likes this.
  3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Raj,

Well done for taking the first steps, I am relatively new to this forum myself, but Eric and Walt encouraged me to post my story here and everyone has since provided me with a wealth of support and knowledge.

There are so many wonderful people on this site. who have made this more than a forum, but an extended family, who listen, care and try to give you the best solution. I would suggest looking at how to journal, although I am relatively new to the approach, there are many tutorials on this site.

Just realise, we are all on different stages of our journey, be kind to yourself and realise with insight, you hold the key to understand what made you sick and to be able to heal yourself.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Raj, about journaling. I've been working on an article about journaling and our emotions...
    how to journal, how it works, what results people have had... from several authorities.
    I will be finishing it today and posting it in a day or two, after Forest reads it.

Journaling really has been one of my most helpful techniques in TMS healing.
    I learned so much about myself and those who have given me stressful emotions,
    most of them back when I was a kid.

Mike gives great advice to you and everyone. His last line is awesome.

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Terrific answers from everyone so far. It's such a pleasure to see such wisdom.

In another thread that is active right now, @North Star describes one approach to handling emotions when you identify them. It is called ISTDP and it is used by Arlene Feinblatt, Dr. Sarno's first psychologist who trained "a large cadre" of Dr. Sarno's TMS therapists over the years.

She describes the ISTDP work in the post that this link sends you to:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/my-meeting-with-dr-schubiner.5208/#post-31350
    She also discusses it a bit in the following post. It's a great writeup. (Thanks, @North Star)

In the ISTDP approach, you really feel the rage (or other emotion) that you've been hiding Connecting with the sensations in your body sometimes helps with this. Once you do that, you are able to move on to love and forgiveness. True ISTDP isn't quite that simple, but if you want to learn more, you can check out the second edition of Unlearn Your Pain or our free TMS Recovery Program donated by Alan Gordon:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/TMS_Recovery_Program
    The recovery program has many great ideas for how to work with one's emotions, and much of it is inspired by ISTDP, just like much of Dr. Feinblatt's work is.

6. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a really great question and one I have asked myself many times. From what I have learned this last year, what is most important is to allow yourself to accept and feel the emotion. Easier said than done! There is a big difference between knowing you are angry about something and feeling the anger. I know I have numerous times wondered about the outcome or resolution and this has inhibited my ability to feel. What if I allow myself to delve in and really feel some anger about a particular situation or person, will I then have to act on it and perhaps make some drastic change? Its important first and foremost to gain clarity on how you really feel and then just to feel it. I am sure the fear of change or the inability to imagine the possibility of positive change or resolution is what often keeps us from feeling our feelings to begin with. We don't have to start with the answer or solution. The first step is to feel. Change or an action may or may not result from feeling, but that is for each of us to decide. And there is no pressure to take any action unless we decide it is right or necessary. TMS distracts us from feeling certain emotions not action. But it is also true that once we really feel the emotions we may decide on solutions or potential resolutions that we were not willing or able to consider before.

Ellen likes this.
  7. Raj s

Raj s Peer Supporter

Thank you all for taking your time and responding to my question.. I am trying hard to feel my feelings.. At one time it looked like everything is working and my symptoms are going off.. suddenly if there is some light pain i started to doubt myself. I started to feel like this is how the pain was few months ago and then i relate all things to how my pain was before( before there were relief for one or two days). So it was like that time it didnt work will it work this time all such questions started to arise. Has any1 gone through some thing like this.

Also i am from India and I dont think there is some one who s practising/treating TMS. Is there any one from India in this forum who can guide/help me about what they did..

8. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Raj,

An interesting question, have you read any of Dr Sarnos books yet? I think knowledge therapy, belief and commitment are crucial to anyone's healing. Quite often, pain will move around once you recognise the pain is psychologically induced, or, it may even get worse once healing begins, this is usually part of the integration phase when emotions from the unconscious and conscious align.

Raj, don't think you are doing anything wrong, just have 100% belief that you will get better, have no fear and put your faith into healing. Perhaps try one of the structured programs online, I think there are so many wonderful and knowledgeable people here they can guide you. Please stay focussed and thinking psychologically at all times, even when you are feeling pain, I know its tough to do, I am in the midst of my own journey and I know its not easy sir.

You will always get good and bad days with pain, the important thing is to keep hammering away at your unconscious mind repeatedly, with knowledge (TMS reading), cleansing (journaling), clarity (meditation) and re-programming (affirmations).

Be strong my friend.

Anne Walker and Tennis Tom like this.
  9. Raj s

Raj s Peer Supporter

Hi Mike,

I have already read The mindbody prescription and now into the next one the Divided Mind. Thanks for your encouragement..

10. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Raj, as Mike said well, keep reading TMS stuff until it sinks in. The knowledge has to be absorbed by your mind on a sub-c level, which is about 95% of your gray matter. It may have taken your brain a long time to learn the negative, self-doubting, universal inferiority complex thinking patterns, possibly from the womb. So changing your mind may take a little while. Nicole Sachs author of the TMS book TRUTH quoted G.B. Shaw, "If you can't change your mind, you can't change anything." The Good Doc, quotes Edna St. Vincent Millay, "Pity me that the heart is slow to learn/ What the swift mind beholds at every turn."

Stick with the program, keep the TMS faith.

Forest and Anne Walker like this.