1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with anger? (and EFT)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Layla, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Layla

Layla New Member

Recently I've discovered a lot of anger when I tapped (EFT) on different issues. Just tapping didn't seem to help much, in fact, tapping on the anger and feeling it seemed to increase it.
    Then I asked myself 'How old are you?' and 'What is happening?' and tapped on and it helped.

Now I wonder if that's an appropriate approach for TMS, and if there are any other good tips and tricks how to deal with anger too?

I listened to the Recovery Program and tried the 'what would you want to do to the person' too... (Though I was way more merciful than the guy in the recording:) )
    I also found it's a combination of past, present and personality traits. So it will probably require a bigger effort.

I'm only on Day 5 of Structured Educational Program, and just started journalling the TMS-way proper. I plan to do EFT on any 'too strong' emotions that might be stirred up. Is this a good approach? Or would other approaches be recommended - which ones then?

Thank you!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Lyla. Tapping doesn't work for everyone. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes it doesn't.

I healed from severe back pain through TMS journaling which I also found was a combination of past, present, and
    my perfectionist personality.

The SEP program helped me very much. I did daily journaling of about a half an hour and that led me to a much
    better understanding of my anger that went back to my boyhood (family arguments over money, finally leading to
    parents divorcing). Keep journaling and you will discover the causes of your anger. That leads to forgiving
    and forgiving leads to healing.

Layla likes this.
  3. Layla

Layla New Member

Thanks!
    Tapping has worked for me for some things, so I expected it to work for this too. :)
    Glad to hear TMS journaling and SEP program have helped you!
    Did you also do meditation (is it a necessary part of the program)?
    I know some of the causes of my anger, though the forgiving part is still in progress, it seems...

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Layla, I didn't do much meditation, but worked more on mindfulness, staying in the present a nd
    not the future which just creates worry. Of course, if I was looking forward to something pleasant happening,
    I liked living in that part of the future. I just stayed away from catastrophizing.

Forgiving may be one of the hardest things but it really helps in healing TMS repressed emotional pain.
    We have to forgive others and ourselves.

And I think it's really important to find a balance... how much time we spend on our healing thoughts
    and techniques and find more time in doing things and thinking things that make us happy.
    Try to laugh more, even if you have to pretend something to laugh about. If you can't laugh, smile.
    I've read that simply smiling sends messages to our brain and body that are almost as relaxing as laughing.

Layla likes this.
  5. blake

blake Well known member

Hi Layla,

One of the journalling technique that helped me so much was the dialogue technique. You write to the person you are angry with and then write back to yourself as if you were that person. It really helped me see another point of view. I was able to get closure in an important relationship using this technique.
    The technique is described in the SEP and it's one of the exercises.

Layla likes this.
  6. Nattycakes

Nattycakes Peer Supporter

What really helped me is getting in Touch with my inner *ich... To release anger.. I would start writing to the person.. I would write over and over whatever names or anything that I could think of. I would get to the point with my anger that it would be so bad that I knew I was ready to bring out the pillows to punch. Then I'd punch and scream till I couldn't anymore.. Sometimes I'd get a headache but knew it was just my subconcious trying to stop me from releasing it because it was afraid of what I may do... Lose control?! No way :) but it doesn't know that...

I used to spend days, weeks, doing this until I felt at peace and the pain and anxiety subsided.. And it did :)

I tried many many things.. This is the thing that honestly works best to get it out. Even Louise Hay (From you can heal your life.. Good book BTW.. Did this when she cured herself from cancer)... It was supressed anger..

Get it out however you can! Then you will be sad.. Then you will come to a place of acceptance.. And maybe... Maybe forgiveness..

And MEDITATE MEDITATE MEDITATE. Not to release anger.. But to help you learn how to control and master your mind.. Instead of it trying to control you!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    Layla likes this.