1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What is Arthritis?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Tennis Tom, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

pspa, Yesterday at 8:38 PM

"Obviously I have no knowledge of Tom's particular case, but as a general matter don't TMS doctors and other authors identify arthritis as a TMS symptom/equivalent? I am pretty sure I saw that in Steve Ozanich's book if not one of Dr. Sarno's?"
    Sometimes yes & and sometimes NO! After attending "ARTHRITIS WEEK" at a fancy schmantsy fat farm in AZ. a few years back, ( by the end of the week I could hardly wait to race out of there--they had a "sleep-disorders-center", it was the early days of a new dis-ease: "sleep-apnea", needed to fill expensive beds, and wanted to get me to "sleep-over" for another week.)

I learned that "arthritis" was a hodge-podge conglomearation of at least a hundred dis-eases. They have no idea what causes it, how to treat it or how to cure it. Rheumatology was founded as a specialty, and the the rheumy dox were handed "arthritis'es" by default. I did learn that rheumatism was a much more severe disease that got lumped into the purview of the rheumatolgists. There were three or four arthritis-expert docs there, who had all written books. The doc who wrote the book popularizing glucoseamin chondroitin-- which has since been debunked--was also there, a very likable guy. I probably swallowed a 30 gal garbage can full of glucosamin-chondroitin by the time I threw all my supplements out. I did win the resort's tennis tournament, and have the t-shirt to document it. They did have underwater treadmills in their pool which was cool, and the food was really good!-- you were guaranteed to lose 5 lbs. a week no matter how much you ate. Would go back there--but not to cure anything--maybe they'll give me a free week if I lead a TMS week.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. pspa

pspa Well known member

Echoing what Tom says, it's very hard for me to believe -- as modern medicine will tell you -- that tens of millions of people have a sleep disorder requiring a drastic intervention. Indeed most sleep doctors will tell you that the problem remains underdiagnosed. It just seems contrary to common sense, although admittedly I have no real knowledge here.

Like chiros, there now seems to be one of those diagnostic sleep centers on every corner. Well, not quite, but still they are pervasive.

And I wonder how many people go for a sleep study and are told they are fine, that they don't need CPAP.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  3. ss02

ss02 New Member

Interesting about arthritis. I have had bad hip pain for two years. My Mri shows two herniated discs - one large pressing on my s1 nerve root. My doctor said that's the reason for my hip pain. My neurologist said no. My orthopaedic surgeon said it is because I have mild arthritis in my hip as shown on an X-ray. He told me I need to lose weight and swim and I will feel better. I am 5'6 and 130lbs, so not overweight and never have been. I'm 45 years old. So I believe arthritis or pain that doctors attribute to arthritis, could be TMS. I also think arthritis is a diagnosis given when nothing else fits.

Tennis Tom likes this.