1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

tms coupled with other therapy modalities?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by dree, Dec 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pspa

pspa Well known member

IMO we should not think of expanded, complementary approaches as apostasy.

Pia and ezer like this.
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm not arguing, just disagreeing with you, It's an internet message board, that's what people do. I've been here--and there along time and you are by far the exception. Most people heal once they get the concept, you are a rare exception. Look at the 'SUCCESS STORIES' here and at TMS help, there are hundreds, maybe thousands of them. They get it, and go on there merry way. Some take longer, some will never heal because they need as a PROTECTOR--a defense mechanism. Your experience is rare, glad you finally found your healing, I like Monte.

3. ezer

ezer Well known member

I think you are completely wrong. Book cures or TMS Penicillin cures are far and in between. Most people struggle for years like I did.
    None of the many contacts I had in the past experienced a book cure. The 2 patients that I know and that saw Don Dubin did not get healed by his TMS psychotherapy.

Avy and pspa like this.
  4. dree

dree New Member

well, since i opened the post, heres where im at: yes i agree that repressed emotions can cause pain. the toughest thing for me is: what sort of emotion am i feeling that is causing excrutiating pain on both my thighs, low back and sholders while i am seatted at my desk doing my job of nearly 20 years? or when im walking for 20min at the grocery store? i just cant correlate an emotion to doing mundane tasks like that... anyone to throw some light? i think Monte Hueftle approach might make more sense to me. maybe the daily stressors for me are not repressed emotions but daily stressors, conditioned thinking... etc. anyways... thanks for ur input here, really great answers.

5. pspa

pspa Well known member

One size may not fit all, although many insist that it does.

Pia and ladyofthelake like this.
  6. dree

dree New Member

yes... trying to figure out what will work for me is the tricky part of it, ive been journalling fir 2 months now about every single emotional issue under the sun, so far cant say ive noticed any changes. i have weird symptoms, such as signifficant pain decrease on mondays and any day that i wash my hair, this is insane!! lol.

7. ladyofthelake

ladyofthelake Peer Supporter

I havnt written my success story yet, but my chronic pain is 99% gone. I did personally find I needed to constantly discontinue all the physical efforts and thoughts about physical solutions. I stopped stretching the "tight" areas, I stopped exercises meant to strengthen muscles to cure my ailment and hardest of all I had to stop avoiding positions and activities that seemed to make the pain worse. I made an effort to be active for fun and accomplish tasks like weeding or whatever. As I did this I was still usually in pain but I basically kept repeating something like this in my head: "that's just TMS, I am just feeling my feelings in my body, that's normal and I don't need to worry about the pain because it will go away because there is nothing wrong with me"
    My personal experience was I needed to quit giving any thoughts of physical cause any attention at all.
    And then one day I realized I wasn't in pain anymore. I'm sure I will somatisize again because it is human and my type of personality really does that frequently. I'm guessing I won't need to be in horrible pain for 8 years before I figure it out.

dree and Tennis Tom like this.
  8. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

SteveO page 6,

The number one sign that a person is not ready to heal is when they trash the TMS message. Other common signs that they are not quite ready are evidenced by the following actions:

* They throw Healing Back Pain across the room.

* They want free help only.

* They search for discrepancies in the TMS materials to find something to dispute, to exclude themselves as potential candidates for healing, often proclaiming, "Not everything is TMS!"

* They impugn the motives of those who are helping people heal.

* They never act on the TMS information in front of them.

* They ask questions to which they already have the answers.

* They jump from one TMS expert to another.

* They hear but they don't listen.

9. Pia

Pia Peer Supporter

I feel like saying that everyone in here should be very careful judging other people's journey. A lot of respect and empathy is required for people not to feel patronized and "if you don't get it, you either don't want to be healed or you're not working hard enough". I suppose anyone can see the TMS personality initiated... A lot of us have tried whatever was on the marked, and my bullshit detector is up and running whenever I hear of new "miracle methods" ;) - I'm taking very small steps, not ruling out anything on my way. My history directly prevents me from being healed by reading a book... no matter how right the author may be. I'm on a life long journey towards my inner self - that cannot be forced. I need to walk every inch of the way.

Tennis Tom, ezer, RichieRich and 2 others like this.
  10. CarboNeVo

CarboNeVo Well known member

TT look, Sarno's book heal back pain gave me 90% of recovery and got me rid off severe prostatitits only by reading his book, why did I recover? because I stopped fearing the illness (and I bet that's how the majority of "book cures" happen), however as I noticed the negative thinking, stresses and emotional load must manifest somewhere else in the body - therefore my symptoms started shifting around my pelvis and with those I had not found much of success yet. Therefore please stop praising Sarno as the god of mindbody medicine, there are people who need a bit more or a bit different approach to try in order to completely recover. Sarno is great and deserves noble prize for his works, however Sarno himself kept updating his concepts over the years.. it means that he doesn't know EVERYTHING about this disorder.
    My pain patterns change from moment to moment.. like literally 1 hour pain the other hour no pain, or one day pain the other day no pain. My symptoms immediately get affected by stress and negative thinking.. that's were I found Ezer's and Monte's approach to make complete sense in order to beat this for good.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    ezer, RichieRich and pspa like this.
  11. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi folks,

Unfortunately, things started to get nasty and personal after CarboNeVo's last post (post #30). I've removed 19 posts from this thread, all of which were posted in the seven hours after post #30. I've archived the 19 removed posts in a thread in a special subforum I made. You may find them here:
    http://tmswiki.org/forum/threads/tms-coupled-with-other-therapy-modalities.14351/ (tms coupled with other therapy modalities?)
    I've also locked the thread and moved it to the General Discussion subforum (it's really a General Discussion topic because it's about ideas and general topics rather than about a specific person's healing journey). At some point I hope to unlock the thread.

I realize that these are difficult topics and that we all care deeply about them. We all have very powerful experiences with pain and so we all have a personal stake in the topics being discussed. On behalf of everyone in the community who wants to keep the forum drama free, I want to thank people who followed the forum guideline about making a special effort to be polite when there is a disagreement in the thread:
    I'd like to remind people that when conflicts arise, they should discuss ideas rather than people. What I mean is that this is a thread about TMS theory and how it is applied when healing. An awful lot of people read it and posted in it because they think that those ideas are really interesting. (I read the thread before writing this post and I certainly thought it was interesting!) However, at a certain point, the topic changed. It became more about people rather than ideas. And when that happens, egos inevitably get involved. I don't want that to happen here because when it does, the bonds that keep our community amazing begin to fray. I care far too much about this community to allow that to happen. So please, talk about ideas rather than people.

I've codified the idea of talking about ideas rather than people in the FAQ that is linked to from the Help link at the top of every forum page:
    You can read the full set of guidelines here:
    http://tmswiki.org/forum/threads/forum-faqs-frequently-asked-questions.1618/ (Forum FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions))

Freedom, ladyofthelake, dree and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.