1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What else is there - Seriously

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by eskimoeskimo, Aug 7, 2020.

1. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Especially interesting to read that they could switch to an altered personality state that experienced blindness. I know someone who was diagnosed with so called 'functional disorder' https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/fnd/ (Functional Neurological Disorder - NORD (National Organization for Rare Disorders)) - she's gone blind in one eye and partially blind in the other eye for no apparent physical reason. Tests apparently determined that she should be able to see properly, but she can't.

richard13 likes this.
  2. richard13

richard13 Peer Supporter

Thanks BloodMoon. That article is encouraging in that the FND field seems to have a more holistic understanding of the phenomena, and has evolved beyond its psychodynamic origins (in a similar way, maybe, as the TMS understanding of chronic pain has evolved) Not surprisingly, chronic pain and other TMS equivalents accompany FND, which itself may be one. The treatment of retraining the brain and looking at the emotional role seems the same. Smiled at the historical note that the disorder had been neglected by clinicians/researchers since no physical findings (MRI, EEG, etc.) Am glad all of this is getting more open minded attention.

I hope that the person you referenced is able to regain their eyesight.

BloodMoon likes this.
  3. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

@eskimoeskimo, what’s up? How are you feeling now? Please remember that you belong here as much as anyone else and we are always here to help! Happy to talk through anything.

4. RogueWave

RogueWave Well known member

Thanks for the thorough background. Do you mind if I ask what the rehab was for..? Also, you’ve mentioned TMS, but then you listed quite a few other docs and imagings and you’ve had, so where does TMS fall into the timeline? Is it the most recent thing you’ve done, or was it somewhere in the middle of all this?

5. Mark1122

Mark1122 Well known member

TMS was before the MRI of my back and the EMG but after everything else. Rehab was for alcohol, sleeping pills (benzo's/valium), gambling

The weird thing is when i grab my right elbow with left hand and hold myu elbow straight infront of me at the same height of my shoulder and then press outwards and a bit up while holding it steady with my left hand my shoulder head hurts like a *******. IS that normal with TMS? And with the pain getting a lot worse i start to get dizzy.

I must note that my right shoulder was dislocated 4-5 years ago. There was a dent in my shoulder head on the photo back then but the doctor said that isnt a problem.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  6. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

I developed anxiety on top of sinus and digestive issues. Then was diagnosed with a thyroid disorder. Anxiety is fear and affects the adrenal glands putting the body into fight flight. What is helping me most right now is doing things that balance the cortisol that is being produced. It's basic. There are other things one can do but what works for me is taking Holy Basil morning and evening. Also magnesium at bedtime. This has made it easier for me personally to shift my focus and calm my mind enough to address it all as TMS. We are all just looking for relief and if a natural plant can help with at least some of it, I say try it. And keep telling your body you are ok.

7. TrustIt

I had the same thought about Joe Dispenza's work. Some of the points @RogueWave makes I also learned from several workshops with Dr Joe and his books. Thank you @RogueWave for your excellent thoughtful and helpful posts! Thank you too @miffybunny!

RogueWave and miffybunny like this.
  8. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

Thank you for chiming in Dorado. I’m feeling so lost and dejected. It is nice that so many people try to help. But I’ve been doing this for so long. The pain has never lessened in all these years. I’m not sure I should visit here anymore. I tried again to delete my account but no one gets back to me. I’ve been in pain for so long. I can remember posting essentially the same despairing message to this same site ... a year ago, 2 years ago, 7 years ago! Do I know anything more about TMS now than I did then? Not really, no. Not getting better when TMS people keep telling me it’s possible - for me too - has been torturous. I do not know how to coexist with these symptoms, this pain, this despair. If my parents weren’t alive I’d end it all without hesitation. Where can I go from here? The pain is too great.

Idearealist and Balsa11 like this.
  9. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

I'm sorry you're still struggling. If any, what psych meds have you tried? Also, what's your sleep pattern and physical activity usually like? Try to take more mental rest breaks and have a healthy lifestyle. Please don't get bogged in depression, it makes pain linger. Your mental health can affect your physical health so please don't go it all alone.

10. Balsa11

It's finding positive sensory cues, like visualizing something happy or doing something that makes you happy, and truly enjoying it. Even naps or distractions are nice if done in an easygoing and lighthearted matter.

One thing that helps me with unexpected flare-ups is imagining myself feeling so light that there is no "weight" on my shoulders in terms of sensation.

Also thinking of what is going right in my body, ie body gratitude was and still is really eye opening for me. This is like reframing without trying to reframe! Our bodies can teach us so much if we're willing to listen!

Even spacing out for a few seconds can lift the fog, and the pain shifts, and you realize it's TMS again. Basically your mood becomes an indicator of mindbody pain so they're cuing each other.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    RogueWave likes this.
  11. Balsa11

The one key difference is relaxing rather than just pushing through. The key is to find a balance between taking mental rest breaks and life as normal. Listen to your gut. Every day will be different.

12. TrustIt

i don't think you need to apologize. you have stated your case, your frustration, very clearly and are obviously intelligent and articulate and sincerely looking for help. i don't see you as negative and argumentative as much as desperate and probably depressed. and, as someone has already said, you have started a helluva thread here! i know i am getting something from it and i'm sure others are as well. i think it's healthy to bring up what is deep and real for each of us, whether anyone else agrees or not. we are all here, hopefully, to help each other find relief....however that is accomplished. we can't help being interested in resolving any pain and discomfort we are experiencing, and the more severe it is, the more interested we become bc we NEED to figure it out! that "interest" keeps us locked in and instead of getting what we want, we get what we focus on (i.e. are most interested in). i posted something to that effect in another post, but it gave me a lightbulb moment. i wish you the best, eskimoeskimo. what if you just try to establish the belief that "it is possible" to heal, rather than trying to convince your stubborn subconscious that you absolutely will. it obviously doesn't believe you quite yet. i hear you!!!! hang in there!

Lizzy, RogueWave, Marls and 4 others like this.
  13. Balsa11

In that sense, distractions and interests are useful as long as they are truly fulfilling and not just a means to a end pain wise.

If a belief is too vague, it's fun to look for real evidence, like moments of calm, natural healing from little scratches, mindset shifts, and the somatic stuff taught by Alan Gordon here.

14. TrustIt

yes JOY!!! when one is in pain, there is bound to be some depression and anxiety. i'm not sure if anyone really escapes that. and depression alone robs us of our joy. i know that is exactly what has happened to me. the worse i felt, the more depressed i became, the less motivation i had for ANYTHING i use to enjoy. enjoy - in joy - that led to a vicious catch 22. eventually i found myself just getting through another day. that's no way to live. it's a way to die.

15. TrustIt

wow, one can "what-if" themselves into a lot of trouble, kozas! that mind that wants to stay in the future to hopefully avoid any unpleasantness, leaves the "now" moment vacant and things only change NOW. chemicals in the body that are generated by the mind are occurring NOW. the mind always wants to time travel....back to ruminate over regrets, or forward to anticipate events - positive and negative. either way, the are all stories since neither is happening NOW. the brain can not distinguish between a real event and one you are creating in your mind. it's always NOW for the brain. so either will activate the chemicals that then help or harm homeostasis.

16. TrustIt

oh my, yes! i am an information junkie and i know that my knowledge alone can keep me from experiencing. sometimes i say "i just know too much!" knowledge is a wonderful thing, but until you apply it, it's not worth penny. try swimming from reading books. reading tms books is the same in that we have to DO IT!

RogueWave, Balsa11 and miffybunny like this.
  17. TrustIt

yes...dr. joe dispenza and bruce lipton are out front, imo, with these things you mention @RogueWave. so much of your advice is covered in their books and videos. thank you for bringing it to more people's attention as it is new to many.

RogueWave likes this.
  18. Idearealist

Idearealist Peer Supporter

Most definitely. I feel like I'm the King of what-ifs and "yes, buts."

TrustIt likes this.
  19. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

This! When we are kids and learn to ride a bike, we don't analyze...there's a letting go and a leap of faith that we don't fall off our bike. Intellectualizing is a common defense mechanism to cope with anxiety but it just keeps us stuck.

TrustIt likes this.
  20. Mark1122

Mark1122 Well known member

Yeah i guess that might be my problem too. When i first got anxiety i didnt evn have heart palpitations or this exhaustion and i still was scared of my heart. Now i do have a lot of symptoms and i try to have faith in being healthy i even went jogging again yesterday, while feeling at my worst ever, with good faith but it still went wrong. Did i not believe enough? My heart started acting up and i was dizzy and i stopped running and got a bit scared. Once home i felt sick and was very light headed and dizzy. I felt like passing out a couple of times, the only thing that worked was sitting with my head in the palm of my hands for 15-20minutes until i got a bit better.

But yeah i did get scared again and doubted if i was really healthy it's so hard... Because i feel that if im wrong about this i could die because i wear out my body so much.

I just can't have this blind faith, i can, but after stuff gets too bad i lose it again.

Maybe i should go jog with valium in my system or something i dont know anymore, i even think about doing a stress test to see if it's in my head so to speak. Because if i'm wrong i feel like it could go really bad for me.