1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Welcome to the Support Subforum

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Beach-Girl, Sep 1, 2012.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Sometimes people think they are logged in, their username appears in the top menu bar and everything, but the browser doesn't recognize that the system has logged you out. If you can't seem to post, copy your text to a word processor or notepad program so you don't lose it. Then go to the menu bar and log out, lthen refresh your browser. Then log in again - but be sure to select "stay logged in" below the password field. If you share your computer with others you might not want to stay logged in - but if that's the case, you'll want to completely close the TMSwiki.org tab and close your browser after each session on the forum.

Let me know here if you continue to have problems!

~Jan

Rene100 likes this.
  2. Rene100

Rene100 Peer Supporter

3. Rene100

Rene100 Peer Supporter

4. Rene100

Rene100 Peer Supporter

Hello...i need help.. i been wanting to post a new thread on getting help with IBS but i have NO CLUE how to post my own thoughts...only reply to other people. Can somebody pls give me step-by-step instructions on how to post a brand new thread? I cant seem to do it ...

Bodhigirl likes this.
  5. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

Dunno, it always mystified me but please don’t stress out and someone will help!
    Breathe. Listen to Alan’s podcast! Meditate. You’ll figure it out when you figure it out. So glad you asked for help!!

6. Rene100

Rene100 Peer Supporter

God bless you.. sorry...who is Alan? Thx!

7. Krmzydn

Krmzydn Newcomer

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I am experiencing many symptoms. Pain, dizziness, stinging, burning, joint muscle pain, skin contact and the hardest thing for me is tinnitus and hyperacusis... It's been 2 months since I started TMS application. The pressure on my ears and head increased a lot and this caused me to stay at home again. Any advice? I don't want to use benzos every day anymore.

8. fredZ9

fredZ9 Newcomer

Thanks everyone, I am new here to take part in healthy discussions, and I am glad to be here.

9. Wildflower6

Wildflower6 Peer Supporter

H
    ello
    Hello! My first day here, and I'm not sure if I am in the right place. I read John Sarno's book many years ago, and it resonated with me completely. I have been looking for a community of his followers, and finally, I found you. I am immeasurably happy!

I have had health anxiety almost my entire life (I am 74), and I am so tired of it. I instantly jump to worse case scenario. I have wasted so much time! I truly believe most of what ails us is created from fear and anxiety. Dr. Sarno's book helped me so much with back pain.

I have aura migraines, but yesterday had two, and I believe they arose from fear. Just knowing they are benign helps so much.
    Has anyone found that mediation helps to remind us of TMS? If so, which ones?

Thanks much!

10. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello @Wildflower6 and welcome to our forum - it sounds like you're definitely in the right place although this is a very old thread!

I suggest you read the profile of @TG957 who wrote a self-published book about her recovery from CRPS, using mostly meditation. Here is an older thread from when she published the book: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/cts-carpal-tunnel-syndrome-crps-dystonia-raynauds-full-recovery.22242/#post-115344 (CTS(Carpal tunnel syndrome), CRPS, dystonia, Raynaud's - full recovery)

The problem with recommending any specific meditations is that there are too many! Therefore, in doing a search, you might limit your search terms to "meditations for anxiety". Use the web (not YouTube) so that you can assess the quality of information provided on the web site offering the meditations, and choose ones that talk about the mindbody connection and about healing from physical symptoms as well as anxiety. As you come across mentions of TMS practitioners here on the forum, you can check out their web sites and see if they offer meditations.

I have a paid subscription to a meditation app called Ten Percent Happier which I describe in this thread: Another great free resource | TMS Forum (The Mindbody Syndrome) (tmswiki.org)

The second book that saved my life back in 2011 (age 60) - after The Divided Mind by Dr. Sarno - is called Hope and Help For Your Nerves, by Claire Weekes. She is no longer with us but her little book continues to help I don't even know how many thousands of people all over the world, decades after she wrote it in 1969, I think it was. There are also old videos and audio recordings of her, and perhaps the recordings include some meditations, but I've only read the book - and it was incredibly helpful for my anxiety. She gives simple advice that you can bring to bear instantly whenever you become aware that anxiety is looming.

I also can't recommend strongly enough that people listen to Nicole Sachs, who has a podcast called The Cure For Chronic Pain by Nicole Sachs LCSW. You can find her first episode here: The Cure for Chronic Pain with Nicole Sachs, LCSW / My Story (audioboom.com) (she's now well into Season 3).

Good luck, we discuss tons of resources and techniques here!

~Jan

11. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

@Wildflower6 , I have to second what Jan said: you should absolutely check out Dr. Claire Weekes, an ultimate authority on anxiety. Her audios saved me.

As for meditation, I have several detailed sections on meditation and mindfulness in my book, but you can save money and time from a short version of it from this interview: .
    Most importantly, you need to remember that it does not matter how old you are or how long you have been sick - you can heal from anxiety and related problems! Go for it, be patient and brave!

@JanAtheCPA - thank you for the mentioning of my modest contribution along with the ultimate heavyweights!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  12. Wildflower6

Hello Jan!

I'm so sorry, I didn't think anyone saw my post, so I didn't check back. I am so happy to your suggestions!

I am a firm believer in the Mind/Body Connection. I plan to order Hope and Help for Your Nerves. I have heard of Claire Weekes, and look forward to getting her book!
    And, I just downloaded Nicole Sachs' podcast. I am so excited to hear it. (I really like checking the web rather than youtube for meditations that fit)

I am so happy I found you and this web-site forum. I hadn't had an aura migraine for a few weeks and just had one. I think it directed me back here.

Thanks so much,
    Peggy

TG957 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  13. Wildflower6

Tamara, as I told Jan, I just saw this. This video is wonderful, and addresses me perfectly!
    (sorry, sent first post to you prematurely :/)
    Tamara, as I told Jan, I just saw your post today. Your video is amazing and addresses me perfectly. I suppose I thought because I have aura migraines that my condition does not fit into TMS. Of course, I realize I am mistaken after exploring this forum.
    I am going to order your book. Being a firm believer in meditation, I'm pleased that this is important to you.
    Thanks so much!
    Peggy

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  14. Wildflower6

Jan, one more thing: I just read in Dr. Sarno's MindBody Prescription that he suffered from migrations with "dancing lights". Wow, he had auras also, but I like his description better. I have always thought he was and is highly underrated! (I ordered Tamara's book also)
    Much gratitude!
    Peggy

TG957 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  15. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

@Wildflower6
    My sister had migraines, and still has them occasionally - usually with an aura (hers is sound). Although she has no awareness of TMS, she was able to heal them by becoming aware of her stressors and triggers, and her personality traits that feed into them. She rarely has them now. I have had auras without feeling migraines - silent migraines. All gone now thanks to TMS work.

TG957 likes this.
  16. Wildflower6

I am happy to hear you and your sister are doing well with migraines! I am encouraged by reading these success stories through TMS work. I can probably safely assume most of us are prone to anxiety!
    I think for me the most difficult thing is my fear it's something else. I do that with *everything*, but I have been doing work on discerning a real fear from a false one. I am hopeful.
    Thank you so much! :)

17. TG957

If you watch the documentary All The Rage, you will find out that Dr. Sarno was treated terribly by the official medical community. It is only the love and appreciation of his patients that kept him going. It is now up to us to keep the memory of him alive and give him all the credit he deserves. Good luck with your recovery!

18. TG957

Thank you, Peggy! Feel free to ask questions if they come up!

Wildflower6 likes this.
  19. Wildflower6

I did not know this! I found Mind over Back Pain when it came out, and I was sold. I suppose the medical community were opposed because drugs, medical tests and surgery were not Dr. Sarno's number one choice. Of course they have their place, but I believe they are so overdone.
    I am on board with keeping his memory alive. I am so glad I found this forum. (and thank you for the good wishes!)

20. Deborahrye

Deborahrye Newcomer

I don't know if I am posting on the forum in the correct way, I hope I am, I need support and I want to use the forum in the correct way and respectfully. I have 2 doctors ready to do surgery right now (hip replacement and carpal tunnel release) but I don't want to. I have had pain in the past cured for many years just from talking to Dr. Schubiner - I knew the pain was in my mind bc it would get worse when I had to go to work - I have changed everything in my life since then - this was many years ago - but now I am in pain again - in my hips again - it is a lot and I am tired and now I have a some upper respiratory infection or allergy symptoms and I am so tired and I don't feel like journaling - I just want to wallow in my pain and cry honestly - I feel so trapped - I am looking at everything all wrong - there are times when I can see how lucky I am and feel all the gratitude and be ok and there are times like today when I am struggling and I'm so tired. I am new to this forum. This is my first day but I am sure that I love you all and I am sending so much love to you all and good vibes - thanks for letting me share