1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Weird sudden head swoosh

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by LaRubia, Feb 13, 2022.

Tags:
  1. LaRubia

LaRubia Peer Supporter

Hello all, have any of you experienced a weird sudden head swoosh. It last around 1-2 seconds but feels like a jolt or weird swoosh. You almost feel like you might pass out but never do. It’s a strange sensation. I’ve had it show up off and on over the past few years which leads me to believe it’s a mbs/TMS.

2. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

Do you mean it’s like a quick dizzy feeling? I think O know what you mean. I get that every once in a while. I’ve assumed it is TMS.

LaRubia likes this.
  3. LaRubia

LaRubia Peer Supporter

Yes exactly. It feels like a quick dizzy spell. Like a quick rush and or jolt. It must be a new distraction.

4. Celayne

Distraction for sure! I often have that fleeting worry about “why is this happening, what does it mean”?

LaRubia likes this.
  5. LaRubia

LaRubia Peer Supporter

I’m so glad you responded. Most people have back neck issues. This is odd. I have that same worry. But then there are times I say do your best or be quiet.

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I've had various weird head and balance sensations, including what I call "head rushes" for decades - different ones seem to come and go, appearing once, or maybe for a few days, then disappearing as mysteriously as they arrived. Even when I was much younger, long before I learned about and incorporated TMS knowledge 11 years ago at age 60, I just assumed they were anomalies of our incredibly complicated minds and bodies, and nothing to worry about - which has apparently turned out to be the case, because I had a some scans and an EEG after a brief fainting and falling episode a few years ago and the neurologist said my brain looked great (the faint was likely from slightly low potassium due to a confluence of stuff that has never happened again).

Caveat: anything new and alarming which doesn't go away in a reasonable period of time (and assuming that you're not making it worse by obsessing about it, because that absolutely IS a function of TMS) should be checked out.

~Jan

LaRubia likes this.
  7. Celayne

I think many people probably have sensations like this, but it’s only us, the TMSers, who worry or obsess about it. The body produces a lot of sensations in a day, anything unusual is either noted and disnissed or … it becomes a focus of concern, ie TMS

LaRubia and JanAtheCPA like this.
  8. LaRubia

LaRubia Peer Supporter

Thank you for the response. I’ve been to urgent care to be checked out in the past with this same symptom. Checked my heart, and checked me out only to call it anxiety multiple times. I stopped going 4 years ago. I now chalk them up to another strange occurrence but it does get my attention. I’m re-reading Howards book and trying to keep busy living my life. It’s weird how like you said it comes out of no where. Or is it? Asking myself what are you angry at that you haven’t expressed.

9. LaRubia

LaRubia Peer Supporter

That’s a good point. My husband has had a similar symptom but can easily let it go. Why is it that TMSers like myself can’t seem to let it go so easily. What am I missing. I’ve tried somatic tracking from a TMS coach. It helps. Have you heard of that?

10. Mr Hip Guy

Mr Hip Guy Well known member

I have gotten head rushes for as long as I can remember. Sometimes they literally stagger me and I have to grab a counter to steady myself until they pass. These usually follow getting up from the couch after sitting for awhile.

My doctor explained they're associated with blood pressure rises/drops and is especially hard on someone with low resting HR (like I have).

I've never really obsessed over these, I've been unusually (for me) dismissive of them...so that is probably why they've never become a TMS thing for me.

LaRubia likes this.
  11. LaRubia

LaRubia Peer Supporter

Oh interesting. Thank you for taking the time to share that with me. My BP is generally good. But I can sometimes get white coat BP when going to the dr. I usually take my bp at home before heading in because I want to know my true numbers.
    That helps. I appreciate you sharing.

12. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Recent theories are that chronic anxiety leads to hyper-sensitized nervous systems. The whole point of the TMS mechanism is to keep us in a fearful state so that we survive. This is a normal and very old brain function that served our primitive ancestors well, but it easily goes haywire in today's frantic and high-pressure modern world, especially when we expect to live for many times longer than our ancestors, and when we spend so much of our lives worrying about the future.

Some of us are more prone to this hyper-anxious/hyper-sensitive state than others, and I believe that like everything else, it goes back to childhood. In looking back at the genesis of my anxiety, I think that my mother must have been extremely anxious when she was carrying me, because she was almost 30 years old, and her first pregnancy had ended in miscarriage. She told me herself that her anxiety over me continued well after I was born. Having more kids solved her anxiety, but I had it for life, thank you very much, Mom.

It always goes back to our parents, people!

Absolutely, Alan Gordon, LCSW (friend of the forum) has been teaching and promoting somatic tracking here for a long time.

~Jan

LaRubia likes this.
  13. LaRubia

LaRubia Peer Supporter

Ah I see! Wonderful that must be where my therapist learned it. It helps me to help settle the fear. I’ve actually used it on my friends when they are stressed out and we marvel at how the symptoms settle down.

14. LaRubia

LaRubia Peer Supporter