1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Weight loss with the Gabriel Method (but doubts)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by eline, Oct 4, 2016.

1. eline

eline Peer Supporter

Hi there!

Sarno’s theory has helped me out a lot, I got rjd of lots of pains/allergies, etc.

I’m not heavily overweight but I carry around some extra pounds. I gained around 20 pounds in college when I started to drink quite some beer but never lost these again once I graduated and started eating healthier again and drinking way less. I did want to lose the extra pounds, but exercising or eating healthier or just simply eating less, nothing works. I’m not really unhappy with my weight but I just don’t understand that whatever I do I just don’t seem to lose the extra weight I gained in college.

Then I thought; could the extra pounds also be some form of TMS? I’m actually quite convinced they are. Then via this forum I stumbled upon the Gabriel Method (https://www.amazon.com/Gabriel-Method-Revolutionary-DIET-FREE-Transform/dp/1582702187) . Does anyone have any experience with this? I really like the theory; he says that if your mind wants your body to be fat, you will be fat. You can simply lose weight by changing your programmed mind. I actually believe this. However, there is also a lot in his book which I find utter nonsense, which doesn’t really help my belief in the most important theory about being able to change your mind hence your weight. For example:

- He says it is not a diet simply a matter of thinking and then gives a lot of practical advice about what to eat and what not to eat
    - He says gluten are not healthy
    - He says: be like a thin person and eat what you want whenever you want it. And then he says: “never eat in the evening”, “don’t eat this or that” etc
    - He says that potatoes/most of the bread/grains/etc are not healthy. He actually says that some of these foods can cause imflammation (!!!). Whereas I’m totally convinced that almost all imflammation is (caused by) TMS.

How do you guys think about this? How can I still believe his most important theory while there is also a lot of nonsense in the book? Or don’t you find it nonsense?

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

By simply meditating on a regular basis, I nearly stopped mindless eating, which was causing me all kinds of problems. I was never obese, but had at least 3-4 lbs above my normal weight. In the last 6 months, I lost steadily about 5 lbs without any change in my diet. I simply eat less and it has been effortless.

Peggy likes this.
  3. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

[Deleted at BeWell's request]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2016
    Peggy and sam908 like this.
  4. eline

eline Peer Supporter

Hi there

Thanks for your responses. Both of you say eat less and/or moderation is key. However, John Gabriel says that this is not the way, because that doesnt work. Indeed for me, eating less or eating more moderate is something I have already tried but it simply doesn't work. I don't lose any weight.

Gabriel says is that you will have to teach your mind how to deal with the food you get into your body, not to teach your mind/change your habit to eat less as you suggest. Your mind should be told not to store the food you consume into fat. He says that emotions/stress/etc are fat triggers, not in the way that you eat more but in the way that whatever you eat, it will be stored as fat.

Gabriel himself was really fat and tried all the diets you can imagine, but nothing worked. One day he realised that his body WANTED to be fat, that was the reason nothing worked. He then stopped all his diets and lost 225 pounds through amongst others turning off his fat triggers.

I am curious whether anyone has experiences with his theory

5. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Eline, I am not on a diet of any kind. I eat as much as I want and what I want. I did have to put breaks on sugar (no cookies or cakes, but when I see a good pastry, I would eat it, maybe once a month). I also minimize my bread intake, but if I am traveling and bagel is the only option, I eat a bagel for breakfast. My point is that once I started quieting my mind on a regular basis, I am no longer eating just out of stress. I used to pig out on relatively healthy food because I was too stressed out, which led me to be overweight and feeling bloated most of the time. I am calmer now and only eat as much as my body needs. I stopped obsessing over my weight and I eat less not because I tell myself to eat less, but because I simply do not shove another chunk of food into my mouth out of being stressed out. But each one of us is different. I don't know if my approach is in fact "turning off fat triggers", I have no idea what those triggers are. A side benefit of moderation in food for me is that my stomach is doing much better now. No bloating or morning discomfort.

6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I've had weight issues all my life--up&down--up&down--losing weight by pushing away is easier said then done. Mindless eating fills an emotional void. I can see where the sub-c could regulate the metabolism, slowing it down to store energy. Being able to store energy in the form of fat probably plays a role in Darwinian survival value. Currently, we are living in a golden age with plentiful food, and government programs giving food away. I've never seen anyone starving in the USA unless they are too stoned to bother with eating, eventually they will end up in the ER with an IV. But, if the good times suddenly stop, and we piss off the farmers enough so they stop producing enough for the rest of us, things could quickly change when the shelves at Safeway are rapidly cleared out. Civilizations usually collapse when the peasants toiling in the field, get pissed off enough from being over-taxed and regulated by the hierarchy in the palace, retreating to into the forest. At times like that, carrying a few weeks worth of extra fat might be a good thing.

7. Ines

Ines Well known member

Wow, that is super interesting. Thanks for sharing. I can kind of see how dieting relates to TMS.
    For me, I have a harsh inner bully and low self esteem. I've always had a weight problem.
    Part of my chronic pain was anxiety around food because I thought they were migraine triggers. I was turning into a crazy person.
    Now I eat everything!!! Caffeine, alcohol, carbs, cheese.. whatever and whenever. I won't weigh myself but I don't feel that much heavier. The same clothes fit me. I'm so much happier and when I look in the mirror I feel younger and prettier. I know that seems weird. It must be perception. I'm not sure but this book sounds interesting. I can see how it can work.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  8. LauraHartsell

LauraHartsell Newcomer

Loosing weight is not at all an easy job. My friend has chosen thé detox tea to lose weight and fats. I am also very onscious about my body and looks. To stay fit and lose extra points, I am planning to go for thé anti-cellulite. I found on the web more additional hints about it. I hope that I am able to lose weight.